Playstation 3 or Xbox 360?

I posted this in the Geek Shit Gen 2 thread last night but don’t think it will get as much input as I originally thought so here goes:

I’m currently trying to decide between PS3 or XBOX 360. What do you guys think? I like RPG style games and really want to try out Fable 2 (only available on XBOX 360), but I know that PS3 seems to be the more reliable unit and it has the blue-ray player. But XBOX 360 is about half the price. But I also like that PS3 uses blue tooth for the controllers. I’ve tried reading some XBOX 360 vs PS3 reviews online but most seem to be pretty old (like at least a year old). I looked at some youtube videos where the people reviewing the games said the PS3 seems to play them smoother/faster?

Anyway appreciate any input you guys have. Looking to purchase one or the other within the couple weeks.

If you prefer RPG’s I would have to go with PS3. Although, more and more games are coming out on both platforms. Still, you could say PS3 is more geared towards the Asian market, and part of that is having a bigger selection of RPG’s. The Xbox 360 is aimed at the US market, which means more sports games, shooters, and arcade games.

Two important points though:

1. As I said, more and more games are cross-platform
  2. In the case of Xbox 360, the games that aren’t cross-platform usually come out for the PC. So, in my opinion, if you have a reasonably good PC PS3 is the better choice, especially because it has bluray.

It didn’t get much input because we already had the “PS3 vs X-Box Wars” in the original geek shit thread.

I personally think a PS3 simply beats the x-box hands down as far as functionality, looks and cool features.

Anyone who actually has a blu ray should be able to tell you how cool it is to see some of these movies with a picture so clear it looks like the screen on the tv isn’t even there.

But, then again, I’ve been a loyal Playstation owner/player for over a decade.

I have both. Game play is about the same. Different games are exclusive to each platform, so it comes down to which games you would rather play.

I bought the PS3 for the Blu-Ray and the HDMI output. It was cheaper than any of the high end BR players out there. It also has the added functionality of gaming, as well as multi-media storage.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It didn’t get much input because we already had the “PS3 vs X-Box Wars” in the original geek shit thread.

I personally think a PS3 simply beats the x-box hands down as far as functionality, looks and cool features.

Anyone who actually has a blu ray should be able to tell you how cool it is to see some of these movies with a picture so clear it looks like the screen on the tv isn’t even there.

But, then again, I’ve been a loyal Playstation owner/player for over a decade.[/quote]

I probably didn’t put exactly the right thing in when I tried to search if this had been covered already. Oh well thanks for letting me know, I’ll see if I can sift through that thread and find that.

I’m really leaning toward the PS3 at this point, mostly because of 1. Blue Ray 2. Build quality 3. I’m used to PS controller from PS1 and 2 already, never really played XBOX at all.

We just got a PS3, after having an Xbox 360 for a few years. The Blu-ray is beautiful, and this feature was the main reason we decided to get it. After playing with it for a while, my husband, who loves his Xbox (lots of shooter and sports games), said he might have to switch alliances.

I think the Xbox live gaming is a lot of fun, and I don’t know to what extent the PS3 has an online community.

If you can afford it PS3 is prob a little better. That being said I love my Xbox 360 and use it almost daily. My friend who has both also uses his Xbox more than his PS3, mostly because all of his friends have 360 and play online. So if you have some buddies with one or the other that would be more important since they are close in performance. AND the blue ray feature of the PS3 is pretty damn great.

V

ive played both and like the xbox better. there isnt a ton of difference but for whats its worth i feel like the xbox has more games available. the controller difference doesnt matter, you think about it beforehand but you adapt so fast it doesnt matter, plus they set it up so that most buttons are the same. for instance on call of duty all the commands are in the same area for each controller so you dont even realize that youre playing on a different console.

if you watch a lot of movies get the ps3 i spos cause afterall it does have the bluray.

Pushme brings a good point too since xbox does have a bigger online community.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
If you can afford it PS3 is prob a little better. That being said I love my Xbox 360 and use it almost daily. My friend who has both also uses his Xbox more than his PS3, mostly because all of his friends have 360 and play online. So if you have some buddies with one or the other that would be more important since they are close in performance. AND the blue ray feature of the PS3 is pretty damn great.

V[/quote]

Haha, is it weird that I can’t think of any friends who have either or play video games really at all other than 1 group of buddies that play guitar hero all the time (which I have no interest in).

If you get a ps3 and love RPGs, be sure to pick up Eldar Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Wow.

Even more “wow” when you have a big screen HDTV.

However, I do wish that the ps3 had more quality RPGs (Xbox has Fable 2 and some other XBox 360 exclusive RPG that I can’t remember that I wanna play).

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
If you get a ps3 and love RPGs, be sure to pick up Eldar Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Wow.

However, I do wish that the ps3 had more quality RPGs (Xbox has Fable 2 and some other XBox 360 exclusive RPG that I can’t remember that I wanna play).[/quote]

Oblivion is also on the Xbox.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

However, I do wish that the ps3 had more quality RPGs (Xbox has Fable 2 and some other XBox 360 exclusive RPG that I can’t remember that I wanna play).

Oblivion is also on the Xbox.[/quote]

Yeah I also watched some thing that said there’s going to be some updates for Oblivion that they aren’t sure yet how will be implemented to the PS3 version if at all…video could have been old though - I forgot to check that. Its probably already out and probably goes through Playstations network.

i have ps3 and its great but i do plan on buying xbox because all of my friends have xbox live so unless u plan on playing with certain ppl on xbox ps3 is the way to go

[quote]josh86 wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

Haha, is it weird that I can’t think of any friends who have either or play video games really at all other than 1 group of buddies that play guitar hero all the time (which I have no interest in).[/quote]

o i didnt even see this post before, ya if no friends have xbox and u wont be playing with them then ps3 is the way to go, u can still play online so.

If I could do it over again I would get a PS3 over a 360. Microsoft went super cheap with all of the components for the XBox, and I am now waiting on my 3rd console in less than a year to be shipped to me after the previous 2 broke down.

For this reason I recommend that you buy an Elite model if you decide to go with the 360. In that case there is no price difference.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
If I could do it over again I would get a PS3 over a 360. Microsoft went super cheap with all of the components for the XBox, and I am now waiting on my 3rd console in less than a year to be shipped to me after the previous 2 broke down.

For this reason I recommend that you buy an Elite model if you decide to go with the 360. In that case there is no price difference.[/quote]

Hrmmm I thought that was a problem with the older models and not so much the newer ones…but one of the reviews comparing xbox to ps3 did say that even with the newer 360’s that its still like 15% failure rate vs PS3’s about 1%.

Looks like I may just have to go with the PS3, sure wish Fable 2 had come out on both platforms. Oh well, there will be more games to come…Oblivion will hold me over for now. Plus all the normal shooter games and such.

omg! the ps3 is the better of the the 2. the ps3 has blu-ray which is incredible on a hdtv.

I bought a 360 a few weeks ago, and I chose an Xbox simply because it had more of the exclusive games I wanted. The PS3 has God of War III (coming soon) and WipeOut HD which I’ll miss, but not much else for my gaming preferences. All other “must have” games are cross-platform, so they’ll work on either one.

As for your other concerns, the recent model Xbox (check Google for ways to identify the Jasper revision) should be a lot more reliable than the earlier versions (smaller, better integrated chips; they also use much less power). The 360’s controller are also wireless and work flawlessly.

So if it’s mostly for gaming purposes, my suggestion would be to check out which platform has the exclusives you want more (and there seems to be less and less exclusives as time goes by); I use the site MetaCritic since they aggregate all reviews for each game and tend to give a pretty good picture of how good a game is.

If you prefer a “media center”, the PS3’s Blu-Ray is a good deal. It’s the best BR player on the market and can be updated via internet. The 360 doesn’t play HD discs (not since HDDVD died, anyway…) but can stream HD from a PC on the network. There are a few codec issues that might be fixed in a future update, but the PS3 works out-of-the box NOW with BR discs.

For the online aspect, Xbox Live currently rules. While the Gold version is not free, it offers the best service overall. It’s fast: game patches download quickly; 1GB games demos can be downloaded in 3-4 minutes; there’s Xbox Live arcade, which offers a whole bunch of games for low prices; you can also download TV shows and movies. If you’re in the US, you can get a NetFlix account and stream movies directly to the Xbox (it really pisses me off that that service is not available in Canada). The multiplayer experience is also more uniform on the Xbox side, as all games support voice, matchmaking, etc. Sony’s service is currently free, but they haven’t yet made up Microsoft’s 5 years headstart.

Personally, HD movie-wise, I’m gonna wait one more year to see how the various streaming solutions progress vs. BluRay. If at that point I decide to get a BluRay player, I’ll probably get the PS3, which should’ve come down in price at that point.

It’s tough to beat bluray for movie playback. It’s doubtful streaming content can approach bluray within the next few years. The bandwidth may soon be available for streaming HD content, assuming fios really takes off (doubtful). However, compared bluray, the quality will still be lacking. Online HD content seems to be favoring speed and size over quality. A lot of compressed content looks terrible. A bluray disc holds almost 50 gb of movie. Most don’t think internet will be supporting that in realtime anytime soon.

Anyway, I had a 360 and now own a PS3. PS3’s does a great job as a bluray player and at upconverting dvds. Metal Gear Solid and GT5 are big pluses as well.

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
It’s tough to beat bluray for movie playback. It’s doubtful streaming content can approach bluray within the next few years. The bandwidth may soon be available for streaming HD content, assuming fios really takes off (doubtful). However, compared bluray, the quality will still be lacking. Online HD content seems to be favoring speed and size over quality. A lot of compressed content looks terrible. A bluray disc holds almost 50 gb of movie. Most don’t think internet will be supporting that in realtime anytime soon.

Anyway, I had a 360 and now own a PS3. PS3’s does a great job as a bluray player and at upconverting dvds. Metal Gear Solid and GT5 are big pluses as well.[/quote]

Well, just stream BluRay then. :slight_smile:

See here Easy, Efficient Hi-Def Video Playback for what I’m contemplating.

A BluRay disc holds 50GB of data. Most BluRay movies are way less than that. Even then, you could put 20 movies on a 1TB hard drive; more realistically, you’d fit maybe 60 BR movies on one of those babies.

Putting content on a central hard drive so that it’s accessible from anywhere on the LAN - TVs, laptops, desktops, etc. With no delay, nor any box/disc manipulations is hard to beat for convenience and simple coolness.

For real time streaming, I don’t know the exact time frame involved, but on the long term, BluRay=CDs and streaming=iTunes/Amazon MP3. Which one has a long life ahead?