Playing Varsity FB with Torn Labrum?

Im a 16 year old sophomore and am planning on starting varsity at linebacker this upcoming season. I’ve had shoulder problems for a while, and I was able to play all last season with whatever was wrong with it. About a month ago tho, I tore my labrum in my shoulder and I just found out. The doctor said I could play with it, or get it repaired.

The problem I have with getting it repaired is that I will miss camps of D3 & NAIA colleges that are looking at me, as well as losing the size, strength, and speed I’ve worked so hard this off season for, and then go into the season smaller and out of shape with no summer camp experience. I think I wanna play through it. But if there’s anyone out there that’s torn their labrum or anything similar let me know your opinion on the subject

You are a Sophomore.

Get it fixed.

Yes but I also have my junior season (the most important from a recruiting standpoint) coming up, and I’d be out of shape for it

FWIW I played 5 years of middle linebacker/ Fullback with a torn labrum as well as a torn pectoral tendon. I never really had any major issues. It will obviously depends on the severity of the tear but what I found was that with time my shoulder began to cause me less and less discomfort. If it is not causing you major issues, I would say play through it. I would be cautious with overhead shoulder work for awhile though.

Yeah I haven’t been pressing off the month it’s been torn. It feels better every week, so I think I’ll be fine. Plus, my school trainer has a brace for my shoulder I can wear so I think I’ll be able to play through it.

That’s definitely what I would do if I were in your shoes. Your junior year is extremely valuable in terms of the trajectory of your future. Good luck

[quote]Hunter2016 wrote:
Yeah I haven’t been pressing off the month it’s been torn. It feels better every week, so I think I’ll be fine. Plus, my school trainer has a brace for my shoulder I can wear so I think I’ll be able to play through it.[/quote]

Why don’t you ask your trainer? He went through a hell of a lot of schooling and knows you better than any of us will.

That said, I think if it’s manageable play the season.

[quote]dzmendon wrote:

[quote]Hunter2016 wrote:
Yeah I haven’t been pressing off the month it’s been torn. It feels better every week, so I think I’ll be fine. Plus, my school trainer has a brace for my shoulder I can wear so I think I’ll be able to play through it.[/quote]

Why don’t you ask your trainer? He went through a hell of a lot of schooling and knows you better than any of us will.

That said, I think if it’s manageable play the season.[/quote]
Our trainer is an idiot honestly. He told me I only had a bruised shoulder socket when it was a torn labrum, told our starting guard he had a sprained mcl when he tore his acl, and told our quarterback he bruised his kneecap when he tore his minuscus and dislocated his kneecap. He’s really only good for taping ankles haha