Playing Football at my Age

I recently tried out for a local semi-pro football team in Buffalo, NY and will be playing middle linebacker. I am the second oldest person on the team at 36 (37 in July)

This has been a blast so far, I last played football in college in 1992 as a running back at Carson-Newman. Man have I lost some athletic speed and a step or two, but it is to be expected. After my first practice of hitting, I was in so much pain, but happy nonetheless. I just want one season of this and then I can hang up the cleats and cheer from the sideline. Our first game is June 20th, and I will keep a post of how we do.

Good luck man. Lay some people out!

awesome! Speed, power and violence!

Live the dream…

good luck and hope you stay healthy,

[quote]Naturallifter wrote:
I recently tried out for a local semi-pro football team in Buffalo, NY and will be playing middle linebacker. I am the second oldest person on the team at 36 (37 in July)

This has been a blast so far, I last played football in college in 1992 as a running back at Carson-Newman. Man have I lost some athletic speed and a step or two, but it is to be expected. After my first practice of hitting, I was in so much pain, but happy nonetheless. I just want one season of this and then I can hang up the cleats and cheer from the sideline. Our first game is June 20th, and I will keep a post of how we do. [/quote]

WOW… you played for Ken Sparks… Good luck with your return!

Have the time of your life. Train hard and stay strong, the alternative could hurt!

Welcome - your thread should be fun to keep up with.

There are a bunch of old farts here who are no strangers to discomfort and pain. They are damn strong too. You’re in good company.

I’m so jealous. Stay healthy and try not to break anything to important.

Still doing well, just dropped a few pounds I was trying to keep on. I want to stay at or above 220lb’s to be a middle linebacker, but weighted in this morning at 213lb’s. All the running is doing what it is supposed to do and streamlining me!:slight_smile:

We have our first scrimmage this coming wed night in Buffalo verse another team who play in a different federation than us. I have put my bucket on some guys pretty hard, and been hit pretty good myself too. I forgot all about the damn crack back that TE and WR like to do when the QB rolls out, and got planted by our TE. Luckily he didn’t destroy me, but if it were in a game, another teams player would of had a highlight moment.

Our offensive line is pretty stout, and the RB’s we have are studs. The problem is our defense, we are suspect at every posistion in my opinion. I wish some of you old warriors lived in the area and could play. We need some big boys on our d line.

Thanks for the above words, hope to put a pre-season win on the column come wed.

What a great season this was. We ended up 6-4 and just eeked into the playoffs against Syracuse. They stomped the dog shit outta us in the regular season, so we better buckle it down for them. I missed 2 games due a stinger, but finished second in tackles for our team.

Next year, I plan on coaching the defense instead of playing. Awesome expierence, and made some memories, now I can say I scratched that damn itch I had for years.lol

#44 MLB

Gang tackle

More

Me

Black D

nice! glad you had a good time… and give some back next year!

Good deal. Wish Colin would come back from the land of the lost. He was playing semi-pro last year at 40+. Even got to play 1 or 2 games with his son. Think he may have finally hung it up this year, too. Enjoy the coaching.

I’m very impressed you went back to tackle football at 37. I still play competitive flag football, but that’s more about speed and hands more than anything else. I’m 38 and run sprints 3x a week to stay in shape for football. I love it!