Playing Contact Sport with Stitches

I got a split just below my eyebrow playing rugby over 2 weeks ago. We had a bye the next week so I didnt play.
I got 3 stitches and left them in for a week and because it healed so well I played on saturday without taping it or anything. 20 mins into the game I got a bump tackling a guy and it split open again just as bad as before.

So one doc had a look and said I should leave the stitches in longer and wait longer before playing, but the doc who actually put the new stitches in said I could play even with them still in.
Anyone here experienced a head cut that re-opened? how long should I wait? or should I tape it up somehow?

are you a soccer player? fucking tape it up and play. you’ll be fine

superglue that shit shut and wipe the sand out of your gaping vagina.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
are you a soccer player? fucking tape it up and play. you’ll be fine[/quote]

do you know how to read? he plays rugby

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
superglue that shit shut and wipe the sand out of your gaping vagina.[/quote]

this
/thread

[quote]critietaeta wrote:

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
are you a soccer player? fucking tape it up and play. you’ll be fine[/quote]

do you know how to read? he plays rugby[/quote]

boy jee golly your sarcasm meter was just fucking flat lined on that one eh?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Hahaha. Surprisingly works damn well. I lived in the Carib for a while and stepped on some long ass coral one time that proceeded to go straight into my foot. It was deep enough that I could see individual tendons and bones. Obviously needed stitches because even after 3 days it was still bleeding but who the hell wants to go to a Caribbean hospital. So I superglued it shut and wrapped gauze over it with duct tape. Healed in no time. Make sure you use non-Chinese superglue though unless you want some lead poisioning.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

It’ll probably scar up worse this way, but it will keep it from opening a lot better than just stitches.

Or here’s an idea…wait til it heals, dumbass.

i’m guessing most of the advice givers haven’t played rugby.

I’m guessing it doesn’t hurt that bad and you’re not worried about pain, but more whether or not you’re preventing it from ever healing? lol.

My advice would be this: avoid contact at practice, obviously, to let it heal. dunno how your coaches would feel about that, that’s just what we do with an injury of that nature. Then it just depends. If you’re guaranteed to go out and bust it open again, there’s something to be said for missing a game.

It has nothing to do with toughness, but you have to let it heal at some point, and you’re no good to the team if you’re bleeding uncontrollably anyway.

You said it’s below your eyebrow? So I’m guessing a scrum cap wouldn’t cover it up? Guys do that a lot to cover up head wounds, but yours is probably too low.

What position do you play? if your playing 2nd row it’s probably going to open up again!

Rugby players eat their dead, get it stapled up and GTF back in there!

BG

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
i’m guessing most of the advice givers haven’t played rugby.

I’m guessing it doesn’t hurt that bad and you’re not worried about pain, but more whether or not you’re preventing it from ever healing? lol.

My advice would be this: avoid contact at practice, obviously, to let it heal. dunno how your coaches would feel about that, that’s just what we do with an injury of that nature. Then it just depends. If you’re guaranteed to go out and bust it open again, there’s something to be said for missing a game.

It has nothing to do with toughness, but you have to let it heal at some point, and you’re no good to the team if you’re bleeding uncontrollably anyway.

You said it’s below your eyebrow? So I’m guessing a scrum cap wouldn’t cover it up? Guys do that a lot to cover up head wounds, but yours is probably too low.[/quote]

Well I’m glad someone on here isn’t a dumbass. Obviously I’m not asking this question cause I’m soft, if I was worried about a little cut I wouldnt have played and split it the second time.

I can avoid contact at training thats not a prob, its just during the game. head gear doesnt cover it as you guessed.
I’m thinking of bandaging it up again like I did when it first happened but its difficult without making it a bitch to see. Some people mentioned glue, would that really be better then stitches?
I play front row so it will definately get a few bumps throughout the game. The takle that split it the second time was not very hard. I didnt even know it had split untill it was bleeding into my eye.
Its funny cause every rugby player says play and everyone else is like why the fuck would you not just have two weeks off.
I’ll see wat the coach thinks.

[quote]ron22 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Hahaha. Surprisingly works damn well. I lived in the Carib for a while and stepped on some long ass coral one time that proceeded to go straight into my foot. It was deep enough that I could see individual tendons and bones. Obviously needed stitches because even after 3 days it was still bleeding but who the hell wants to go to a Caribbean hospital. So I superglued it shut and wrapped gauze over it with duct tape. Healed in no time. Make sure you use non-Chinese superglue though unless you want some lead poisioning.[/quote]

WTF thats cool. wouldnt have been so cool if you had to get your foot amputated though.

[quote]B-Man wrote:
What position do you play? if your playing 2nd row it’s probably going to open up again![/quote]
loose head