Plax Gets 2 Yrs: Bulls*%t and Smart

[quote]PaddyM wrote:
dday wrote:
Let me start off with I’m a gun fan, I own guns, I want to own more guns, I have a permit to carry a hand gun so lets not make this into a guns are bad thing but…
I understand what you’re saying guy shot himself and that should be punishment enough but lets think about it.

1. dude has all the money in the world, he can hire body gaurds to protect him, he doesn’t need to carry a gun, if he does he’s probably doing something on the side other than playing football.

2. He carried a .45 Glock in his sweat pants into a club filled with people. Anyone who’s ever been around a Glock knows there is no saftey and should be carried in a holster. He’s lucky he shot himself and didn’t kill someone else. I carry a Glock 19 9mm, in a holster with a trigger block made to pop out quickly when needed.

3. He carried a .45 Glock into a BAR, this is a fucking huge mistake. In Missouri (my state) even with my CCW if I carry a gun into a bar its a felony and I can carry legally! In NYC you can’t even get a CCW as far as I know.

4. He’s a dip shit for carring a gun, into a bar, in sweat pants, during the season, I can’t tolerate stupid people especially when it comes to guns, you just don’t fuck around with that kind of power.

5. If I heard right he didn’t even get the book thrown at him, the mayor wanted him under the jail for as long as legally possible. Wonder how long he’d have gotten had his round went through the floor and killed some one???

6. Fuck’em.

I feel bad for his family but if you’re dumb enough to do all these things then maybe you need a time out.

X2
[/quote]

X3
yep, if you can’t do the time don’t do the crime! something like that

Damn how fucked up is America. 2 years in prison for breaking an unconstitutional law. Im at a loss for words as to how much of a Police state America is becoming.

[quote]ALKoHoLiK wrote:
To tell you the truth I’m glad he got 2 years. If anyone knows how hard it is to lobby for more gun rights and less restrictive laws they would understand all the hard work that is put into debating/arguing and fact finding to assure other politicians and their voters that shit like this doesn’t happen. That people can be responsible with weapons and show people that they really only use it for self defense.

During most of the debates that I’ve been to at the town hall the only solid thing Gun owners have is that they bring up the statics of people with permits are more responsible with guns and 99% of the time don’t break the law or abuse the right to carry. When people do stupid shit like this all the Brady Campaign has to do is bring up this one and it really does hurt the cause.

I hope he has time to think about how guns aren’t fucking toys and how lucky he was not to of shot someone[/quote]

Your Politicians make guns hard to own and carry for a reason. Nothing to do with logical statistics. Because if that was the case, our 2nd amendment right would be untouched. Gun rights will only fade with each decade.

Take NJ for example. It’s a CCW state on paper. That way they don’t get attacked for denying gun rights. But the twist is, they do not issue ANY permits unless you’re well connected. NY is the same way. They’re all hypocrites and extreme liars. So if you wanna be safe and able to defend yourself, you HAVE TO BREAK THE LAW. It’s a catch 22 and they know it.

It makes criminals of family men like him. This system sucks plain and simple.

The thing is that he brought a loaded gun into a club cramed with people, he could have easily have passed a bullet through 2 people instead of shooting himself.

Once you get past the Grand Jury phase, you’re pretty much toast and up against the mercy of the court and judge assigned to the case. And there are no set “charts” for the judges to go by, like “Let me see, take column A across and column B down and see what he gets for a sentence.”. There are basic mins and maxes for any given law infraction and he wound up with a moderately stiff sentence IMHO. With him being seen as a sports role model, that had some weight as well.

BG

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
The thing is that he brought a loaded gun into a club cramed with people, he could have easily have passed a bullet through 2 people instead of shooting himself.

Once you get past the Grand Jury phase, you’re pretty much toast and up against the mercy of the court and judge assigned to the case. And there are no set “charts” for the judges to go by, like “Let me see, take column A across and column B down and see what he gets for a sentence.”. There are basic mins and maxes for any given law infraction and he wound up with a moderately stiff sentence IMHO. With him being seen as a sports role model, that had some weight as well.

BG[/quote]

That better have not had anything to do with the sentencing. What could have been or what could have happened is irrelevant. “could have been(s)” are irrelevant. SO by only going on the facts, of being forced to conceal carry because the NYC’s unconsitutional laws.

They only apply the laws to the peasants of the kingdom. They judges and well connected lawyers get CCW’s right off hand. It’s a corrupt system and he should have been more political and outspoken in fighting it.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:

BG[/quote]

The above is pretty damn misinformed and awfully inaccurate.

First, there is a saying in the criminal legal system that you an indict a ham sandwich. A grand jury proceeding is not a trial. It’s largely a one-sided affair where the prosecutor presents his case to the grand jury and they decide whether or not there is enough evidence to proceed - not if someone is guilty. The success of the prosecution at the grand jury level is VERY high.

There are in fact “charts” at the federal level for various crimes, with min and max, and other modifiers that can add or detract from a sentence. So again, you’re completely wrong.

In Plax’s case, he wasn’t up against the mercy of the judge as you say. His crime had a 3.5 year mandatory minimum. The judge would have had NO discretion. If he was convicted, he would have received 3.5 years. Period.

What Plax wound up with is what he was able to NEGOTIATE with the prosecution in return for not going to trial and saving the State some money. That figure was 2 years. And given that he had absolutely NO defense to his crime, and that he engaged in a pattern of deceit and cover-up after the crime, he did pretty good for himself. They could have easily chosen to let it go to trial and have him receive the 3.5 years.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Your Politicians make guns hard to own and carry for a reason. Nothing to do with logical statistics. Because if that was the case, our 2nd amendment right would be untouched. Gun rights will only fade with each decade. [/quote]

Really? What state do you live in? Here in Georgia we just got rid of a few Jim Crow laws that were in place since before the Civil War and shortly there after. DC just got rid of a law that restricted people from owning guns a 50 year ban on handguns in that area. President Obama just signed into legislation allowing people with permits to carry into National Parks.

Are politicians make carrying a gun more difficult because of the scare mongering a certain side does. Also, do you really think that the criminals follow the law? So if I pass more restrictive gun laws who do you think that is going to affect? The criminal or the law abiding citizen. Also in America, where is the place that has been shot up the most? Not courthouses, police stations or shooting ranges… it’s gun free zones. Want an example, Schools… if you need further examples, take a hammer and hit head a couple of times

[quote]They’re all hypocrites and extreme liars. So if you wanna be safe and able to defend yourself, you HAVE TO BREAK THE LAW. It’s a catch 22 and they know it.

It makes criminals of family men like him. This system sucks plain and simple. [/quote]

I don’t think I can disagree with this statement. It is true for the most part. However things don’t get changed just by sitting and waiting. The group I’m with GCO did more for Georgia then the NRA ever did. NRA about killed the HB 89 bill because they wanted to add on a stupid ass clause. When we started getting the ball rolling, a different organization in Virginia heard what was happening and helped out. I promise you stay committed and get the word out in NJ or NY that you would want to have some laws change, people listen and start to help. Especially in this time

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
Plaxico Burress On Gun Safety - YouTube lol
[/quote]

lmfao