T Nation

Plateau, Too Early for Program Change?

I’ve been on a ramped 5x5 program for about 6 weeks now and I’ve seen good progress, but it’s beginning to slow significantly. When should I change my program? 6 weeks seems early to me, but I keep hearing that changing up the program forces the body to adapt and grow. Any ideas?

Don’t change your program, refine it.

Progress happens in spurts, I would first look at diet and recovery time (sleepy time) before blaming your routines effectiveness. In the first year or two not much variety is needed for growth anyways, things can get more complicated once youve already developed a fair amount.

Eat.

More.

Food.

slower progress still sounds like progress, vs a true stall.

[quote]Dangles wrote:
I’ve been on a ramped 5x5 program for about 6 weeks now and I’ve seen good progress, but it’s beginning to slow significantly. When should I change my program? 6 weeks seems early to me, but I keep hearing that changing up the program forces the body to adapt and grow. Any ideas?[/quote]

Sticking with the program and forcing your body to adapt to lifting heavier weights will probably cause far more growth than changing programs at this point.

Don’t be a victim of training ADD.