Plastics and Xenoestrogens

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Damn, my business is plastic manufacture… dinner ware etc, am i guna go bankrupt?[/quote]

Nope, Americans as a whole don’t give a F about their health[/quote]

Exactly. In spite of medical science studies and public health awareness, the tobacco industry is doing quite well.

Oh, LOL @ FDA approval![/quote]

what do you expect when a BB website has posters that defend people for smoking :wink:
[/quote]

smoking?? did you miss the thread about people using hallucinogens?

In all seriousness, does this mean that when I take one of those plastic shaker bottles from GNC and put it in the microwave for a minute after my coffee gets cold that I’m fucking my test levels over?

What about microwaving regular old tupperware for 60-90 seconds at a time? What about taking a cup of coffee in a Starbucks cup and microwaving it without taking off the lid?

What about making some food in a glass or stainless steel container and then putting Saran wrap over it when the food is still really warm and steaming? Does the heat from the food somehow do something to the Saran wrap that could be causing adverse health effects?

Also, where do teflon-coated frying pans come into play?

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Damn, my business is plastic manufacture… dinner ware etc, am i guna go bankrupt?[/quote]

Nope, Americans as a whole don’t give a F about their health[/quote]

Exactly. In spite of medical science studies and public health awareness, the tobacco industry is doing quite well.

Oh, LOL @ FDA approval![/quote]

what do you expect when a BB website has posters that defend people for smoking :wink:
[/quote]

smoking?? did you miss the thread about people using hallucinogens? [/quote]

At least it sounds like you have fun :wink: … WTF do you get from cigs :wink:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Also, where do teflon-coated frying pans come into play?[/quote]

Depends on who you talk to. People who wait for mainstream to outlaw something, or those that tend to be conspiracy theorists who say it’s evil…

Personally, I’d rather play it safe, which took me a while to do… recently just bought some ceramic coated pans off amazon and they’re way better than teflon anyways.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Joke all you want, but do you ever wonder what factors are contributing to the plummeting test levels in males? [/quote]

Being forced to watch Twilight?

lol

Anyone who easily gets FORCED to watch it must be low on test anyway.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
lol

Anyone who easily gets FORCED to watch it must be low on test anyway.

[/quote]

What about tricked. Few years back before I knew anything about it, figured hell, vampires I’m in… WTF lol, lesson learned.

My girlfriend used to work for one of the first law groups to call for an end to BPA use in baby bottles, so she’s constantly on the lookout for ways to minimize BPA in our lives.

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
I avoid touching receipts because they have bpa.[/quote]
My gal does this, and then hands them to me. :frowning: BPA is absolutely a legit concern, but I file this particular trait under “Of all the BPA sources to worry about, this is way low on the list.”

[quote]Iron Could’ve Been Taller If He Wasn’t Fed BPA as a Kid wrote:
Joke all you want, but do you ever wonder what factors are contributing to the plummeting test levels in males? If science is demonstrating examples of this, I’ll listen.[/quote]
A basic Google of “BPA + fetus” should bring up plenty. The effects of BPA exposure are being seen in babies before birth, and has been shown to last several generations in rat populations (I believe it was 3-4 generations . Momma rat was exposed to BPA and her great-great-grandrats still had detectable levels of BPA in their system.) BPA exposure is connected to tons of side effects from hormone influence to outright deformities of the genitals.

There was also a pretty good article last year that discussed BPA and Pthalates, two incredibly common xenoestrogens:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Morally, yes, since you’re aware of the genuine dangers of BPA exposure. Lol jk. But no, srsly.

So are/were Twinkies, the KFC Double Down, and Cinnabons. Your argument is invalid.

Apart from using pyrex containers (which are awesome btw) and steel water bottles I don’t worry about it too much. I think if I tried to cut it down more, the associated stress levels would outweigh any health benefits from a lack of BPA

Last year we switched to old school steel ice cube trays, as pictured above. We also have a few Klean Kanteens for water bottles and glass storage containers of various sizes instead of Tupperware stuff. It was a hassle at first, but it just becomes the new routine, and I certainly believe it’s worth it.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
In all seriousness, does this mean that when I take one of those plastic shaker bottles from GNC and put it in the microwave for a minute after my coffee gets cold that I’m fucking my test levels over?[/quote]
Yep.

Yep.

Maybe borderline since the lid isn’t touching the drink, but I’d still avoid it.

As someone said earlier, if the food doesn’t touch the saran wrap, it’s “better”, but I try to avoid it when I can.

Not exactly BPA related, but worth considering a switch for other chemical issues. We use cast iron or stainless steel.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Last year we switched to old school steel ice cube trays, as pictured above. We also have a few Klean Kanteens for water bottles and glass storage containers of various sizes instead of Tupperware stuff. It was a hassle at first, but it just becomes the new routine, and I certainly believe it’s worth it.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
In all seriousness, does this mean that when I take one of those plastic shaker bottles from GNC and put it in the microwave for a minute after my coffee gets cold that I’m fucking my test levels over?[/quote]
Yep.

Yep.

Maybe borderline since the lid isn’t touching the drink, but I’d still avoid it.

As someone said earlier, if the food doesn’t touch the saran wrap, it’s “better”, but I try to avoid it when I can.

Not exactly BPA related, but worth considering a switch for other chemical issues. We use cast iron or stainless steel.[/quote]

Jesus Christ. My reaction to this could go straight into the “Hair on End” thread.

I assume that pouring some really hot water into a plastic bottle is the same as sticking it in the microwave.

My concern with the Starbucks lid and the Saran wrap is that any condensation that forms on the underside from the heat can drip some fucked up shit into my food/drink. Is that a legitimate concern?

I don’t go to Starbucks but a lot of coffee shops will fill up a portable coffee mug and charge a medium.

Get yourself a stainless steel portable coffee mug and go to a coffee shop that accommodates this.

You’re in hippy CA, sure half the coffee shops have this option

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I don’t go to Starbucks but a lot of coffee shops will fill up a portable coffee mug and charge a medium.

Get yourself a stainless steel portable coffee mug and go to a coffee shop that accommodates this.

You’re in hippy CA, sure half the coffee shops have this option[/quote]

ALL of the coffee shops in California have this option. And I’m not in hippy California. I’m in ultra-conservative California; the hippies all moved out of here a long time ago and the only ones left keep to themselves in Humboldt or small little enclaves throughout Marin County.

I have a steel mug but I never use it. The fucking thing conducts heat so well that I can’t hold onto the thing when it’s filled with 160 degree coffee. Then I have to let the thing cool down just so I can drink the fucking shit, which means by the time I’m halfway through my coffee I have to warm it up somehow. So that’s when the coffee gets dumped into a Nalgene bottle and put in the microwave.

Do they make something like a metal canteen that doesn’t conduct heat so well? Something that holds at least 24 oz. of coffee? Or am I going to have to get some sort of sleeve for it? Or perhaps something that’s plastic but is lined on the inside with glass? Has anyone made that product yet, or should I pursue a patent for it?

If I were to switch my bottle water consumption to drinking out of a labwear bottle would my exposure decrease?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I assume that pouring some really hot water into a plastic bottle is the same as sticking it in the microwave.[/quote]
Pretty much heating susceptible plastics to an extreme temperature can cause BPA to leech out.
Some reading if you’re interested:

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/blogs/plastic-in-the-microwave-is-bpa-in-your-frozen-dinner

http://www.rodale.com/chemicals-plastic

This is what I was talking about with the receipts, and it’s one of the “problems” with a BPA-aware lifestyle (if that doesn’t sounds too hippy-ish.) Once you know what BPA is, and what xenoestrogens are, and you start looking for them in orde to avoid them… it’s like high fructose corn syrup. The shit’s in everything. BPA in plastic bottle, don’t drink from 'em. BPA in lids, maybe don’t heat 'em. BPA in receipts, don’t touch 'em? BPA in plastic ice cube trays, so get a metal one?

BPA and Pthalates on plastic shower curtains, hunt down BPA-free curtains because you’re in a hot shower and your skin touches the curtain everyday?? BPA in canned goods, so look for beans and tuna in with BPA-free linings?? You really could go overboard, borderline paranoid, pretty easily with it all.

It comes down to balancing the time you want to invest into finding alternatives with the risks you put yourself at. If you drink a ton of bottled water everyday, it might be worth investing in a Klean Kanteen. If you microwave a shake in a plastic bottle everyday, maybe consider investing in a glass bottle (maybe an old pasta sauce jar or something similar). The good thing is that more companies do seem to be using BPA-free options. In a few more years, I’m pretty sure it’ll be even more commonplace, kinda like organics started off a few years ago.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I assume that pouring some really hot water into a plastic bottle is the same as sticking it in the microwave.[/quote]
Pretty much heating susceptible plastics to an extreme temperature can cause BPA to leech out.
Some reading if you’re interested:

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/blogs/plastic-in-the-microwave-is-bpa-in-your-frozen-dinner

http://www.rodale.com/chemicals-plastic

This is what I was talking about with the receipts, and it’s one of the “problems” with a BPA-aware lifestyle (if that doesn’t sounds too hippy-ish.) Once you know what BPA is, and what xenoestrogens are, and you start looking for them in orde to avoid them… it’s like high fructose corn syrup. The shit’s in everything. BPA in plastic bottle, don’t drink from 'em. BPA in lids, maybe don’t heat 'em. BPA in receipts, don’t touch 'em? BPA in plastic ice cube trays, so get a metal one?

BPA and Pthalates on plastic shower curtains, hunt down BPA-free curtains because you’re in a hot shower and your skin touches the curtain everyday?? BPA in canned goods, so look for beans and tuna in with BPA-free linings?? You really could go overboard, borderline paranoid, pretty easily with it all.

It comes down to balancing the time you want to invest into finding alternatives with the risks you put yourself at. If you drink a ton of bottled water everyday, it might be worth investing in a Klean Kanteen. If you microwave a shake in a plastic bottle everyday, maybe consider investing in a glass bottle (maybe an old pasta sauce jar or something similar). The good thing is that more companies do seem to be using BPA-free options. In a few more years, I’m pretty sure it’ll be even more commonplace, kinda like organics started off a few years ago.[/quote]

So you mean I actually have the freedom to choose for myself which way I slowly and unwillingly leech away all my testosterone? That’s what I love about democracy.

Opinions please.

What do you guys think are the biggest contributors to xenoestrogens ?

Which plastics are the biggest culprits ? My guess might be plastic bottled water, since it’s so common.

All I know is that I’m going to err on the side of caution and start bringing my French press to the gym instead of filling up a Nalgene bottle with coffee and protein powder.

I DID just find a plastic container in my pantry marked “BPA free” but the fucking thing only holds 16oz.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Do they make something like a metal canteen that doesn’t conduct heat so well? Something that holds at least 24 oz. of coffee?[/quote]
I know Klean Kanteen definitely makes an insulated bottle, but I think the biggest is just 20oz.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
What do you guys think are the biggest contributors to xenoestrogens ?

Which plastics are the biggest culprits ? My guess might be plastic bottled water, since it’s so common. [/quote]
Yeah, I’d probably say plastic water bottles, especially if they’re dishwashed and repeatedly reused, and any plastic containers where the instructions say to microwave it - frozen dinners, veggies in steamer pouches (probably a big one, since people think they’re “being healthy”), single serving mac + cheese, etc.