T Nation

Plantain and Comfrey

Wondering if anyone else has any experience with these plants: Plantago major, Symphytum x uplandicum or Symphytum officinale (types of Comfrey). Both contain Allantoin which promotes cell proliferation and wound healing by modulating the inflammatory response. They also contain Mucilage which seems to alleviate inflammation as well. Traditionally, these plants are used externally to heal soft tissue damage and broken bones.

I have used both plants in poultice form. The first time, I applied it 4 weeks after my right foot was crushed sideways by 1200lbs. While I received only one fractured metatarsal, the soft tissue damage was significant. After one overnight poultice, it felt like pain and inflammation reduced by about 20-25%. With continued use, my healing rate increased dramatically. I even sustained nasty looking spider veins on my ankle from the trauma, and with the use of Comfrey poultices over weeks/months, the veins now look the same as my uninjured left ankle. Since then, I use it overnight any time I injure or sprain and it heals and relieves pain every time. The only time it has taken longer to heal is when something is hurt that receives less blood flow, such as tendons/ligaments or cartilage.

Not much research has been done on these plants, however I have found one cited on wikipedia that shows what herbal medicine practitioners have known for some time (see Araujo), that healing of damaged tissues is expedited with the application of therapeutic amounts of Allantoin.

I have had such positive results with these plants, and have not read about anyone using them for healing on T-Nation, so I thought I would spread the wealth of my 5 years of personal experience with these plants.

Caveat: While Comfrey is still commonly used externally, it is not advisable to use internally.

Araujo LU, Grabe-Guimarães A, Mosqueira VC, Carneiro CM, Silva-Barcellos NM. (2012-10-22). "Profile of wound healing process induced by allantoin".

[quote]Cherrybomb wrote:
Wondering if anyone else has any experience with these plants: Plantago major, Symphytum x uplandicum or Symphytum officinale (types of Comfrey). Both contain Allantoin which promotes cell proliferation and wound healing by modulating the inflammatory response. They also contain Mucilage which seems to alleviate inflammation as well. Traditionally, these plants are used externally to heal soft tissue damage and broken bones.

I have used both plants in poultice form. The first time, I applied it 4 weeks after my right foot was crushed sideways by 1200lbs. While I received only one fractured metatarsal, the soft tissue damage was significant. After one overnight poultice, it felt like pain and inflammation reduced by about 20-25%. With continued use, my healing rate increased dramatically. I even sustained nasty looking spider veins on my ankle from the trauma, and with the use of Comfrey poultices over weeks/months, the veins now look the same as my uninjured left ankle. Since then, I use it overnight any time I injure or sprain and it heals and relieves pain every time. The only time it has taken longer to heal is when something is hurt that receives less blood flow, such as tendons/ligaments or cartilage.

Not much research has been done on these plants, however I have found one cited on wikipedia that shows what herbal medicine practitioners have known for some time (see Araujo), that healing of damaged tissues is expedited with the application of therapeutic amounts of Allantoin.

I have had such positive results with these plants, and have not read about anyone using them for healing on T-Nation, so I thought I would spread the wealth of my 5 years of personal experience with these plants.

Caveat: While Comfrey is still commonly used externally, it is not advisable to use internally.

Araujo LU, Grabe-GuimarÃ?£es A, Mosqueira VC, Carneiro CM, Silva-Barcellos NM. (2012-10-22). “Profile of wound healing process induced by allantoin”.[/quote]

Good stuff. Although I don’t need this at the moment (knock wood), if I ever do it’s comforting to know there are alternative methods out there.

Thanks.

Yeah! No problem! I tell people about it any time I hear they have been injured, because honestly it will help anything that can be healed (of course except structural disfunction). And there are just so many people on this site with tendonitis, muscle tears/strains and other tissue damage. This shit overnight is like a god damned miracle.