Plant Nurse's Needle Skills

So I went to get my flu shot today from our plant nurse.

She cleans my shoulder off and pulls out what appears to be an 18 gauge needle. I told her that looks a bit larger than normal and she replied “Yea they sent us the wrong size needle”.

She proceeds with what I can only describe as dart practice throws at my arm. While she was swinger the needle (without actually poking me) I asked her if she would like me to do it.

She says no and launches the needle into my shoulder like she was trying to hit a bulls eye.

When she pulled it out I started bleeding a small bit and now my shoulder is rather sore.

Lol just though y’all would appreciate this.

Happy Friday and my your pinning go better than this!

Oh I forgot the best part! She totally missed her bulls-eye and got the area where the delt and tricep meet.

Man, reminds me of an anthrax shot. Those things can hurt for days.

On a side note, when training for Iraq I had a medic bruise half of my forearm hooking me up to an IV. The bruise didn’t go away for a couple weeks and I was bleeding like crazy.

Some people don’t know what they’re doing, others just don’t give a shit.

If my nurse/doc pulled out an 18g pin I’d tell em to f*ck off until they got the proper sized pins.

Thats a freakin harpoon. Probably large enough to leave a gaping hole that can get infected.

I’d have told her to to stick it…and not in my shoulder. lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
If my nurse/doc pulled out an 18g pin I’d tell em to f*ck off until they got the proper sized pins.

Thats a freakin harpoon. Probably large enough to leave a gaping hole that can get infected.

I’d have told her to to stick it…and not in my shoulder. lol

DG[/quote]

lol and she wonders why I was bleeding.

I got my flu shot last year and the woman pulls out a 1.5 inch pin. I asked her if its a little too long for a delt and she said “Ya but its all we got today… don’t worry, I won’t go in all the way”.

Then she didn’t aspirate and proceeded to push the plunger down, pushing the whole 1.5 inch pin into my arm as she couldn’t control just the plunger. I hope she doesn’t do that to anyone else… I was fine with 1.5 inches but most guys at my school wouldn’t be… she would be hitting bone for sure!

Apparently it’s proper practice now not to aspirate IM injections? News to me, seems like such a simple step that could prevent complications.

And pins are DIRT cheap… what is with practices not having the right size?! I’d freak if she pulled out a 18g!

Ouch, that would suck if she was hitting bone!

Haha well I do work in the auto industry so nothing is cheap for us these days, but it looked like she had a piercing needle not a flu shot lol

I love my 20 gauge pins what the hell are y’all pissin on about?

[quote]MaddyD wrote:
I love my 20 gauge pins what the hell are y’all pissin on about?[/quote]

20g is not 18g…not pissin but just sayin why use 20g even when 23g will do the same job? :wink:

we all got a preference tho and I won’t knock you for your 20g. lol So far I’ve used 22,23,25 (and 19 subq) and the 23 seems to be money for me.

DG

edit- 29g sub q…not 19 :S lol

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
MaddyD wrote:
I love my 20 gauge pins what the hell are y’all pissin on about?

20g is not 18g…not pissin but just sayin why use 20g even when 23g will do the same job? :wink:

we all got a preference tho and I won’t knock you for your 20g. lol So far I’ve used 22,23,25 (and 19 subq) and the 23 seems to be money for me.

DG[/quote]

beleive me next time I wont be using 20g will be more like 23-25g but I love my core samples though lol

no really at my BF level I never really seen a huge deal with the larger gauge pins, but I can see the problems it can cause with the leaner folks.

We have a phrase in England;

MAN UP!

I was in hospital once up to my eyeballs in painkillers and they want to put a drip in my arm. The doctor tried to do it on my left completely missed and stabbed right through my arm somehow. He then said “Shit sorry, I’ll try the other side”.

Yep. I have injected drugs IV with a 20G.

Brook

Good points, but why “Man Up” when you don’t have to? The goal is to minimize scar tissue and UNNECESSARY pain. Obviously a little is expected, but why hurt yourself needlessly.

Thats not being a man…thats being stupid.