T Nation

Planning to Play American Football

So, this September, the university I’ll be going to has an American football team (London)

The standard is pretty mediocre, having looked at them play and the fact that they’re bottom of the division at the moment, so I think I could probably sneak in to the team and learn a new sport. I currently play soccer, but I want to play a sport which can motivate me to get bigger and stronger.

So my question is, what can I do in preparation to make myself a better player and stand a good chance of getting into the team?

I plan to bulk up and put on some more muscle over the summer, something I had great success with in the last “off season”, and of course I’ll be working on conditioning and some football drills (alas I don’t have access to anyone that plays the game here in London, so I simply do some with my training buddy)

Any advice you more experienced Americans have to give me?

(Current stats, 6’1 85 kg (after a cut): bench press 1 rm: 80 kg, 1 rm squat 120 kg, 1 rm deadlift 155 kg, 100m sprint: 13.5 handtimed)

Which team is this the London O’s or the London Blitz just out of curiousity. The youngest ever proffesional american football player played for the London O’s and the O’s, dont underestimate the standard of the football in the UK its competitive i promise you

You should pick a position you would like to play and then train for it. You don’t want to get huge if you want to become a receiver; sprinting and agility would help you more in that aspect.

[quote]antidemocratic wrote:
Which team is this the London O’s or the London Blitz just out of curiousity. The youngest ever proffesional american football player played for the London O’s and the O’s, dont underestimate the standard of the football in the UK its competitive i promise you[/quote]

Oh no, I didn’t mean the Blitz. I know those guys are monsters. I was talking about a uni team, in this case, the Surrey stingers. Once I get to grips with the game and improve my speed I may try out for something higher, but right now I’m talking about BCAFL football.

I would say that you should try to increase strength and speed while at the same time focusing on learning about the game. There are plenty of NCAA football players who lack in size, strength and speed but make up for those shortcomings with superior technique and knowledge of the game. You can gain strength and speed while playing, you cant play however; without knowledge of the game.

Maybe try to work on some complex lifts designed to build power. Don’t worry about getting too big, if you are doing a lot of speed work then getting too big shouldn’t be much of a concern.

Also, a good coach is going to watch you try out, look at your strengths and weaknesses, and be able to put you in what he believes is the best position to help the team. Don’t go into it expecting to play a certain position, be open-minded. You may be moved around quite a bit in the beginning until you and the coach find a role you fill well. Knowing about all the positions and their roles is going to be the best thing you can do to help yourself play.

[quote]Ridge wrote:
I would say that you should try to increase strength and speed while at the same time focusing on learning about the game. There are plenty of NCAA football players who lack in size, strength and speed but make up for those shortcomings with superior technique and knowledge of the game. You can gain strength and speed while playing, you cant play however; without knowledge of the game.

Maybe try to work on some complex lifts designed to build power. Don’t worry about getting too big, if you are doing a lot of speed work then getting too big shouldn’t be much of a concern.

Also, a good coach is going to watch you try out, look at your strengths and weaknesses, and be able to put you in what he believes is the best position to help the team. Don’t go into it expecting to play a certain position, be open-minded. You may be moved around quite a bit in the beginning until you and the coach find a role you fill well. Knowing about all the positions and their roles is going to be the best thing you can do to help yourself play.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch. I will focus even more on learning the fundamentals. Can anyone recommend a good site with technique drills and such, or perhaps a book? As I said, I don’t have access to coaching or people who play the game until September.