T Nation

Planning to Cut, is My Diet Ok?

I am planning on losing 30 lbs in the next 4 months of time. I weigh 250 lbs and I am 18% BF. Here is an email containing my entire diet for losing the weight that I sent to a buddy of mine who is a bodybuilder. It’s meant to be roughly a 10% carb, 40% protein, 50% fat diet. Also, I plan on having a refeed day every Saturday to refill my carb stores. Any help on adjusting the diet would be great.

[i]Ok Lance, I have created a diet for myself that will hopefully not only help me lose weight, but meet up to your “health” standards because I know how much of a health nut you are. :slight_smile:

11:00 AM Meal (I am not a morning person)

2 Scoops of ON 100% Whey Protein mixed with water
5g of German Micronized Creatine
1 Serving of Biotest Superfood
2 HOT-ROX Extreme Capsules
2 Multivitamin Tablets
3 Flameout Capsules
2 Beta-7 Tablets

(I dislike taking massive pills, so I try to take as many as possible at once without sacrificing the benefits of spacing out pills)

My goal here is to get just enough protein and whatever BCAA’s I can get from that protein to help preserve muscle for my morning workout and cardio. Also, I don’t want to take in all of the sugar from the fruits, so the Superfood should help me get the benefits of the fruits, but none of the sugars.

1:30 PM Meal (Post-Workout)

1 Banana
2 Scoops of ON 100% mixed with 24 oz of skim milk

(Banana and skim milk used for insulin spike for more efficient protein uptake, and no fat is taken at this time)

Work Starts at 2:00 PM.

4:00 PM Meal (First Break during work)

1 Beef Pattie
1/4 Cup of Almonds

6:30 PM Meal (Dinner Break during work)

1 Chicken Breast
3 oz Spinach
1/4 Cup of Almonds

9:00 PM Meal (3nd Break during work)

1 Beef Pattie
3 oz Spinach
1/4 Cup of Almonds

12:00 AM Meal

1 Chicken Breast
3 oz Spinach
3 Flameout Capsules
2 HOT-ROX Extreme Capsules
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

2:00 AM Meal (I, however, am a night owl)

2 Scoops of Regular Metabolic Drive (used to give me a good spread of protein overnight to avoid a catabolic state)
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
3 Flameout Capsules

Bed 2 - 11 AM

I am limiting my carbs to about 100 or less per day to see how that goes. I am replacing the carbs with fat. The entire day adds up to 2,800 calories on paper, but I will use a little bit of seasonings and condiments, so it will add up to about 3k calories or so. I know you’re against the thermogenic pills, but that’s my personal choice. They’re supposed to help with energy and fat loss. Also, there’s a good amount of fiber in this diet from the spinach, banana, and almonds. So what do you think of my diet?[/i]

That diet looks really good Bro! Nice balance of carbs,protein and fats! Id be interested in seeing what your program is like! and whats your lifting backround!

Looks good stick to it and youl be ripped in 4 months maby a little less! Good luck!

2 HOT-ROX at midnight might not be a great idea…

Odd time schedule; but I like the diet. Keep it strict; its WELL worth it.

I went from 194 @ 18-20% to 180 @ around 11% and love’d it!

Good luck!!

I second Dave.F; what is your training like?

I wouldn’t recommend HOT-ROX after 5pm. Unless you have some ungodly tolerance for the “wired” effect it gives you.

i think the diet looks pretty solid. a couple things i would change based on personal opinion:

1. Surge pwo

2. no HOT-ROX. are they necessary? you might be suprised at your progress without them.

3. instead of spinach three times daily, why not mix it up with broccoli, green beans, asparagus, etc… just to get a little variation in nutrients and what not.

but yeah it looks good… you’ve been doing your homework. good luck to you.

I don’t have time to post my workout because I’m on break from work, but here’s what my friend responded with. Tell me if you agree with it.

Good start, I would suggest…
You should eat more than the 3 oz of spinach at each meal.
Take the superfood after your workout as well.
Use gatorade instead of milk postworkout.
Substitute more fish and turkey into your diet for the beef.
Add fruit into your pre-workout meal.
Add more fruits and vegetables throughout the day, you should have at least one at each meal, if not both.
Take more fish oil, you will need as much as you can afford.
You need more fiber, add a mutamucil supplement.

It looks like this would drastically shoot up my sugar intake to 200 - 250 grams, which I am questioning, as well as Make protein the main source of my food, possibly making my diet not protein-sparing. Everything else he said I mostly agree with.

I like it. A few people already mentioned my biggest qualm: HOT-ROX too close to sleep.

The only other thing I’m iffy about is your refeed day. It can get out of control in a hurry. Be prepared. Considering your bodyfat level (not picking on you), I’d suggest limiting yourself to 1-3 carb meals or one cheat meal.

Overall though, nice set-up.

[quote]ovalpline wrote:
I like it. A few people already mentioned my biggest qualm: HOT-ROX too close to sleep.

The only other thing I’m iffy about is your refeed day. It can get out of control in a hurry. Be prepared. Considering your bodyfat level (not picking on you), I’d suggest limiting yourself to 1-3 carb meals or one cheat meal.

Overall though, nice set-up.[/quote]

Yeah, if it’s that intense, then I will probably take my second dose at my 4 pm break. Though I do stay up until 2 am since I wake up at 11 am. That’s just how my schedule works.

As for my training, here’s what it looks like. My body responds pretty differently than most people’s. My chest, shoulders, and arms respond horribly to splits, so they need high frequency or they lose strength and size fast.

If I don’t bench for a week, I am weaker the next time I bench. My body can take a lot of frequency. Legs and back grow no matter what I do, so I just base my workouts around how I can make the other parts of my body grow.

If you have seen Chad Waterbury’s HFT program, my program is fairly similar, but certainly tweaked to better suit me needs. His programs work for me. EVERY workout includes dips, pullups, and some form of benching and shoulder work because those are my weekpoints. I will go back and forth between working out twice a day, and switch it up between reps and sets to keep my body confused.

Day 1: Legs, Chest, Shoulders, and Arms, Cardio
Day 2: Back, Chest, Shoulders, and Arms, Cardio
Day 3: Traps and Calves, Cardio
Day 4: Legs, Chest, Shoulders, and Arms, Cardio
Day 5: Back, Chest, Shoulders, and Arms, Cardio
Day 6: Traps and Calves, Cardio
Day 7: Cardio

Not much to it.