Planning 5/3/1 for a Year

I plan on using 5/3/1 for the remainder of my lifelong training and after watching you and Dave’s video on “all-around fitness” I began to think of how I could make a year long template for training with 5/3/1. I’m sure I could repeat and 5/3/1 template over and over and continue to see improvements. However, I would like to divide my training into three periods of four months each. The first period would be a strength period, the second a hypertrophy period, and the third would be a power period where I do cleans before the squat and deadlift and snatches before the press and bench press and change the assistance work accordingly for each period all while doing conditioning at the end of each training day. Is this an efficient method of repeatedly improving strength, power, hypertrophy, and conditioning over the span of a year? I apologize if this has already been asked…

Buy Beyond 5/3/1. There’s a chapter in it called A Year of Challenges. This covers everything

1 Like

Based on the three published books, another option would be to look at the off season templates in the 5/3/1 for powerlifting book. It gives 3 different templates which are very similar but a few variables are manipulated to focus on mass, strength, or conditioning.

Above 2 are fantastic suggestions

The new book, which is going to be released as soon as I can go through the 100+ programs, details how to program for every single instance, how to program long term and how to never, ever stall. It details everything from conditioning, lifting, mobility, jumping/throwing, etc and how to fit it all in, regardless of your goals.

Yes, even assistance work is programmed in the 100+ different programs with millions of variations of each program.

So yes, there is an easy way to do it. This will all be detailed in the newest book which will be released as soon as it’s done.

4 Likes

Great, I’m looking forward to it. As always, thanks Jim!