Planet Fitness: What The Hell?!

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PIZZA NIGHT!!

Bring extra meat, throw away some of the cheese…BAM! Post-workout meal!

Well, at least they’re keeping the typical resolution crowd out of the better gyms.

One of my goals in life is to be responsible for setting off the Lunk Alarm.

We must find a way to franchise out a basement-dungeon style “muscle gym” and make it profitable.

For the good of the world!

[quote]pookie wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
“I’d seriously give consideration to Hittin’ It…!”

I guess that’s fine if you’re into thick slabs of average-lookingness.
[/quote]

Yeah, she needs a boob job and a tummy tuck, based on those photos. With all her dough, I’m surprised she hasn’t done those yet.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
pookie wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Yeah, she needs a boob job and a tummy tuck, based on those photos. With all her dough, I’m surprised she hasn’t done those yet.

[/quote]

I`d hit it…

Twice…

Haters…

[quote]orion wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
pookie wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

I`d hit it…

Twice…

Haters…
[/quote]

I’d hit it so hard, that whoever removed me would be named King of England.

Wow…

That is an interesting gym with an interesting business model…

“…SINCE U BEEN GO-ONNNNE…!!!”

Mufasa

Not too long ago, there was a lot of criticism of “Golds”, and the “glitzy” direction it was taking…

Personally, I think that “Golds” has hit that perfect mix between “serious” hardcore training and appealing to the masses.

I think that it’s a hard balance to reach, but “Gold’s” has done it in my opinion.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Not too long ago, there was a lot of criticism of “Golds”, and the “glitzy” direction it was taking…

Personally, I think that “Golds” has hit that perfect mix between “serious” hardcore training and appealing to the masses.

I think that it’s a hard balance to reach, but “Gold’s” has done it in my opinion.

Mufasa[/quote]

I have a membership there and to a hole in the wall gym. I only use Gold’s for cardio simply because of the plasma screen tvs, the better scenery (more women), and the fact that they actually have air conditioning in the summer.

Other than that, it is the worst gym to try to get serious and train in. It is the only gym I’ve seen where the majority of the people there don’t look like they lift…and months later, they STILL look like they don’t lift. I am all for really fat people exercising, but after a year or two, I also would expect to see them NOT remain really fat people.

True…

The problem, Prof, is that it’s a TOUGH balance to run a profitable gym AND meet everyone’s needs. In fact, it’s probably impossible.

The truly “hardcore” are probably best served by getting together a “Co-op” of people (ala “Westside”?); renting a warehouse/garage/etc. and running things the way they wish without having to worry about light weights and Justin Timberlake music.

It can (and has) been done.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
True…

The problem, Prof, is that it’s a TOUGH balance to run a profitable gym AND meet everyone’s needs. In fact, it’s probably impossible.

The truly “hardcore” are probably best served by getting together a “Co-op” of people (ala “Westside”?); renting a warehouse/garage/etc. and running things the way they wish without having to worry about light weights and Justin Timberlake music.
It can (and has) been done.
Mufasa[/quote]

I used to work out at a very hard core World Gym (go figure.) There were times when the whole gym would stop to watch some of the serious lifters do a 1 rep max on the deadlift. In fact, this place used to host local deadlifting competitions. The dumbells went to a staggering 180, maybe higher. (I never got that far.)

Then LA Fitness moved in 1/2 mile away, and the money makers, that is, the women who used the aerobics equipment, all moved there. A couple months later World Gym was out of business, and a Planet Fitness moved in. I checked out their sales pitch and just laughed. Planet Mediocrity is what I call it.

I settled into the Lifestyle Family Fitness, which bought out the World Gym membership. It’s somewhat middle of the road. The dumbells only go to 100, but they do have two squat racks,and they don’t get get pissy about grunting. They have an aerobics room with mirrors where I can practice martial arts on weekends. Their TVs play stupid pop music videos, but that’s bearable with an MP3 player. And those Hilary Duff videos just make me work even harder! (LOL!) Fortunately, I have not seen Justin.

Rumor has it that the serious lifters now go to a hole in the wall in a little industrial park where you have key access 24 hours. Yep, some people do make their own gyms when they need to. I might check that place out pretty soon.

editted: Lifestyle does NOT get pissy about grunting, at least not too much.

Good points, yorik!

The true “hardcore” Gym that people get misty-eyed about is a dying Breed EXCEPT when people get together and decide to open one for themselves.

The money is with the Soccer Moms, chubby coeds and young Professionals. Meatheads spitting, yelling and dusting chalk over everything; and dropping and breaking weights simply is counter to catering to these groups. When a business person has to make a decision on membership, today they will often go for those that will generate the most income for his or her club.

I don’t think that making sound business decisions is inherently a bad thing; but the true “hardcore” will often be considered last, if at all.

(Note: It’s a little blurry to me what Planet Fitness is trying to accomplish; more of a “Curves” type business? As a Professional, it just doesn’t seem to appeal to me).

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
It’s a little blurry to me what Planet Fitness is trying to accomplish; more of a “Curves” type business?
[/quote]

A couple people who are relatively serious about their lifting told me they joined Planet Fitness just because $10 per month gives them easy access to a treadmill when the weather is bad. That’s all they do there. I guess that works.

Does anyone know if they pussified World Gym since they aquired it?

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
Does anyone know if they pussified World Gym since they aquired it?[/quote]

I don’t know about Wold’s, but I do know that Powerhouse gyms can differ tremendously.

The one I go to is really a good mix of serious lifters and beginners. Many guys there are deadlifting, squatting and even doing cleans.

I went to another one while traveling, and it sucked. I was asked not to deadlift.

Another one I went to in Philadelphia was the best one I’ve been to yet. I asked them if it was okay to deadlift, and the lady gave me a funny look and asked “why wouldn’t you”?

So I guess it all depends on that particular franchise owner, and maybe also the people in the surrounding area.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Pretzel Logic wrote:
Does anyone know if they pussified World Gym since they aquired it?

I don’t know about Wold’s, but I do know that Powerhouse gyms can differ tremendously.

The one I go to is really a good mix of serious lifters and beginners. Many guys there are deadlifting, squatting and even doing cleans.

I went to another one while traveling, and it sucked. I was asked not to deadlift.

Another one I went to in Philadelphia was the best one I’ve been to yet. I asked them if it was okay to deadlift, and the lady gave me a funny look and asked “why wouldn’t you”?

So I guess it all depends on that particular franchise owner, and maybe also the people in the surrounding area.[/quote]

Wow, pretty ironic; no power lifting in the Powerhouse.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
We must find a way to franchise out a basement-dungeon style “muscle gym” and make it profitable.

For the good of the world![/quote]

Amen, brother!

The last of such gyms in my area went tits-up in the late 90’s, so this would be a welcome sight.

A Planet Fitness just opened up in the Northern Virginia area. I passed it on my way to a poker tournament the other day. On one of my days off I will take a ride out there and get a guest pass for the day. I promise I will get kicked out within the first half of my workout. I will post a whole report on it on this thread. =)

To Petedacook. I’m telling ya bro, get out of that golds and come into my place. You’ll be much happier.

They must differ tremendously. There’s a gym at home called Powerhouse where I lifted (I don’t know if it’s part of the fanchise or not, but I suspect it is b/c all the equipment is brand new). It was awesome. This one was owned by a former powerlifter and his fitness competitor wife, so heavy lifting was encouraged. No Kelly Clarkson there. Lots of Metallica and Tool. Can’t wait to go home now.