Plan To Get Bigger/Stronger?

Hey guys… new to the forum. Looks great! I guess I should explain myself a bit before I ask questions.

I’m 22, 5’9, 145lbs. I’m pretty trim. I’m not new to exercise, I use to do a lot of lifting when I was 18. As of late my only exercise is grappling.

I am looking to gain some weight (don’t want to get huge). I want to get bigger all around, but not get super bulky. Probably 165lbs of lean muscle would be the ideal end result (I know that will take a lot of time). And I don’t want to just be bigger… I want that strength to be functional.

How should I get try to get there? How many days a week, exercises, sets, reps, rest between reps etc?

Diet wise… aim for 1g of protein per pound? Lean meats, some beef, eggs, veggies/fruits, limited bread etc?

Thanks for any help!

[quote]JFG12 wrote:
Hey guys… new to the forum. Looks great! I guess I should explain myself a bit before I ask questions.

I’m 22, 5’9, 145lbs. I’m pretty trim. I’m not new to exercise, I use to do a lot of lifting when I was 18. As of late my only exercise is grappling.

I am looking to gain some weight (don’t want to get huge). I want to get bigger all around, but not get super bulky. Probably 165lbs of lean muscle would be the ideal end result (I know that will take a lot of time). And I don’t want to just be bigger… I want that strength to be functional.

How should I get try to get there? How many days a week, exercises, sets, reps, rest between reps etc?

Diet wise… aim for 1g of protein per pound? Lean meats, some beef, eggs, veggies/fruits, limited bread etc?

Thanks for any help![/quote]

Hey man,
In terms of training, in terms of developing functional strength for what I’m guessing is MMA, take a look at Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards, as well as anything you can get your hands on by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey.

I know on DeFranco’s website (www.defrancostraining.com) in his Q&A sections, he lists stuff pertaining to how alot of his athletes that are grapplers gain a ton of strength, but stay within their weight class. In fact, in one of the more recent columns, he shows specific drills that he incorporates for his guys that are involved in MMA.

For nutrition, I would look up Berardi’s 10 Rules. One of the rules is that for males, you consume between 40-60 grams of lean protein per meal. Right there, that’ll take good care of you in terms of protein. If you follow those rules, and don’t get caught up in counting calories for right now, I think that’ll serve you well.

In terms of supplements, the one thing I would be sure to do is hit up the Double Serving of Surge in the during/post workout period.

Also, investing in a quality slow acting protein blend like Metabolic Drive is key. In your case, I’d recommend you go with Metabolic Drive Complete. Be sure to check out TC’s article “A Stack For Every Occasion”. In terms of increased calories and such, I’d recommend a enteric coated probiotic supplement, as well a good digestive enzymes.

Good luck with your goals.

Thanks for the great reply. I looked up those workouts and they seem to be exactly what I’m looking for.

Are there some good online resources for nutrition that would suit my goals?

I looked up Gourmet Nutrition online but it was just a short article intending to sell the book.

Here are Berardi’s 7 Habits:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity. For Males, 40-60 grams.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat “other carbs” only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don’t drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

I think one of the other three is to take your fish oils. I’d take some fish oil, I use enteric coated Fisol, with every meal, except breakfast (recommendation by Mike Roussell). It also wouldn’t hurt to supplement with BCAA’s, Creatine, and a Fiber Supplement. Like I said in my first post, check out TC’s artilce “A Stack For Every Occassion”.

Also, be sure to read Chris Shugart’s article on the Double Surge experience.

You’ve got some great information at your fingertips. Just be sure to train with intensity, and you’ll do great. Good luck man.