Plan Of Action.

I am 22 years old and wanting to get in shape
Body Stats (Will get specific measurements later today, measurements shown were done with wood ruler lol)
Ht: 5?11
Wt: 300 lbs
35% Body Fat.
Arms 17? Flexed
Chest 48?
Body type : I actually have a lot of muscle mass covered in about an inch of fat ><.

So just need some advice on a work out plan for someone who really just wants to cut the fat but keep the underlying muscle mass.

Currently My diet consists of Calorie Counting. I intake about 2500 a day and work as much as possible while at work with my 40 pound bar bell. Getting a gym membership in the next week so before I jump in head first into resistance training I need some help with a plan of attack.

Any advice you can give as far as diet and what a reasonable goal that I can work for. I am a complete dunce when it comes to this stuff.

Here is a picture of me about two years ago I haven?t really changed much I will update as soon as I get a chance.

Hey there.

Just read your post and there is an excellent beginners piece you should read by one of the posters called Vroom. Just tried to search it but had no luck, im sure someone will follow me with a link.

[quote]Ashes wrote:
Hey there.

Just read your post and there is an excellent beginners piece you should read by one of the posters called Vroom. Just tried to search it but had no luck, im sure someone will follow me with a link.

[/quote]

A link to the very first post stuck to the top of this forum?

[quote]Ashes wrote:
Hey there.

[/quote]

It’s actually the very first post at the top of the beginner’s forum. It is an awesome read and will send you enough links to where all of your questions will be answered.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Ashes wrote:
Hey there.

A link to the very first post stuck to the top of this forum?
[/quote]

Ah, good point. I saw the thread on the Most Discussed topics part of the homepage.

Thanks for the response guys, and thanks for the tips. I think I may start a journal to help motivate my self. I play paint ball alot and I need to keep up with my team. So wish me luck.

[quote]atrumblood wrote:
Thanks for the response guys, and thanks for the tips. I think I may start a journal to help motivate my self. I play paint ball alot and I need to keep up with my team. So wish me luck.[/quote]

Go for it man, good luck (although luck doesnt come into it).

Blood, Sweat, and tears.

Results are based on work applied.

:slight_smile:

[quote]atrumblood wrote:
Currently My diet consists of Calorie Counting. I intake about 2500 a day…[/quote]
What, specifically, did you eat yesterday?

Out of curiousity, what do you do for a living? Definitely make sure you get that gym membership. If you only have a 40-pound bar right now, I’d suggest a bunch of bodyweight exercises (push-ups, squats, lunges, etc.) using the bar for supplementary exercises. But if you can do more than 12 or so reps on any given exercise, the bar is way too light.

Also don’t forget you can grab the bar in the center and use it one-handed, so you’d essentially have an extra-long dumbbell. This could come in handy for things like overhead presses, deadlifts, and bent rows.

On a side note, cool to hear from another paintball guy. What do you normally play, speedball, scenarios, whatever?

My diet consists of pretty much 6 meals a day.
9 am. Eggs or breakfast bar.
11 am. hand full of nuts or crackers.
2 pm. bowl of soup usually vegi or tomato.
4 pm. can of tuna. sometimes yogurt.
6 pm. Varies usually a boxed dinner like lean cuisine.
8 pm. small snack.

My job is help desk. So I am at a computer 8 hours a day.
So far my routine at work( yes I work out in my cube) I work my upper body as much as possible with what I have. The bar bell is small not wide enough for two hands.
I do triceps , biceps, forearms, shoulders, latts, Chest, abs.

I am sure my bar is too light my triceps and shoulds. I can do 30 reps in a set with the 40 pounds.

My biceps I do about 8 each set.

I do mostly woods ball. We do speed ball a lot too. So my fat but needs to get into shape because I am always having to keep up with the guy I am assigned to follow and the fields we play on are always a freaking hill haha.

[quote]atrumblood wrote:
My diet consists of pretty much 6 meals a day.
9 am. Eggs[/quote]

Not bad. Scramble some eggs and add veggies. Take some fish oils. Drink tea or water. Maybe a small piece of fruit. Skip the breakfast bar.

Not the best snack. Try to get protein and fruit and/or veggies with this meal. Cottage cheese with pineapple or peaches. A protein shake and some fruit. A green salad with chicken or tuna.

Bad idea. Processed, loaded with sodium, way too low in calories. Not enough protein, good fats or nutrients. Time to rethink this meal.

Not a bad start. Eat some fruit or veggies with the tuna. Yogurt by itself isn’t enough. Think protein, good fats and fruits and/or veggies for EVERY meal.

Time to learn how to cook a real meal, make leftovers so you can take them with you for lunch the next day. Stay away from meals in a box. Processed, full of sugar/starches and sodium. Crap, crap, crap.

Now’s a good time for some good fats from natural peanut butter or some cottage cheese or a protein shake.

Most of us are. We find ways to eat right despite this. And we challenge ourselves outside of work so we can reap the benefits.

[quote]So far my routine at work( yes I work out in my cube) I work my upper body as much as possible with what I have. The bar bell is small not wide enough for two hands.
I do triceps , biceps, forearms, shoulders, latts, Chest, abs.

I am sure my bar is too light my triceps and shoulds. I can do 30 reps in a set with the 40 pounds.

My biceps I do about 8 each set.

I do mostly woods ball. We do speed ball a lot too. So my fat but needs to get into shape because I am always having to keep up with the guy I am assigned to follow and the fields we play on are always a freaking hill haha.
[/quote]

Get a gym membership or upgrade your home equipment to much better stuff.

I highly recommend that you go to Amazon.com and purchase “The Metabolism Advantage” by John Berardi. That book alone will teach you everything you need to know as far as nutrition goes, and it has some great workout programs. Do this one thing now. Get this book. Read it. Follow it.

I really have to say. thank you for the tips. This gives me a great starting point. Oh and the book is on it’s way lol. Not too bad at 17 bucks.

[quote]atrumblood wrote:
I really have to say. thank you for the tips. This gives me a great starting point. Oh and the book is on it’s way lol. Not too bad at 17 bucks.[/quote]

If you read the book and follow the plan, I guarantee that you’ll learn almost everything you’ll need to know about nutrition and how to eat properly. In the process, you’ll lose weight and feel great…and be much healthier!

I would try to avoid getting caught up in the “paralysis by analysis” when reading all the articles on here and seeing varying opinions from the writers and forum members. Eventually, you’ll find what works best for you. But The Metabolism Advantage will definitely set you up for making the right choices for the rest of your life.

It also contains wonderful training information, but once you go through the workouts as instructed for 8-12 weeks, you’ll be ready to try something new. That’s when I’d look into some different workouts on T-Nation.

Until then, don’t overwhelm yourself with all the articles and start getting the itch to try something new every week or few weeks. Stick with The Metabolism Advantage plan. If anything, go read all the articles on here by John Berardi…just to give you a head start on many of the things you’ll find in The Metabolism Advantage.

All right thanks again. Keep on the look out for a journal.

That is all fantastic advice, follow it.

NateDogg. I really have to thank you for the suggestiong to buy the Metabolism Advantage. I have been following the plan now for 2 weeks. And allready I have gained 2 inches on my arms and lost 2% body fat.