T Nation

Plan of Action for Becoming a Coach

Hey guys and gals,

Maybe this is the wrong board to post this in, maybe it is. I don’t know.

So here’s the deal. I am due to graduate after this fall semester with a BA that is unrelated to a health science, etc.

I already have some old CSCS test review materials, and I am looking to take the test after my degree is conferred. With many science electives and a few PE electives under my belt,

I have already done a lot of research on M.Ed and M.S. programs in the area that deal with Exercise Kinesiology and Physical Education. Basically what I’m trying to get at is that I would like to one day (soon as in the next few years) to become a strength and conditioning coach for a college team or program or pro sports franchise…not the main guy of course, just an assistant, etc.

Now once I get the CSCS should I apply for an internship or support position? Or should I wait until graduate school is complete?

I do have experience personal training at commercial gyms =( and some experience bodybuilding and powerlifting, and have worked with a few athletes directly as well as playing various sports.

It should be noted that becoming a coach is my main goal, I immerse myself in research a few hours a day, this is something I’m very passionate about. However, I have many back-up plans lined up, and regardlessly I am going to get the CSCS and eventually go to grad school. But what would be the wisest plan of action in this case? Any input is appreciated. Especially from the pros.

-JP