T Nation

Plan for Ab Thickness

hey guys my first post so take it easy

been lifting about 6months im 5’10 165lbs

I lift pretty heavy or what i believe to be heavy for having just started. My bench max is 225, i squat 275x6,deadlift 275x8. I just posted these because people get angry sometimes if you dont anyways…

my diet is very clean and i consume 6 whole meals a day of all clean food. Im pretty educated in how to eat and how to lift but i havn’t been paying attention to my abs as much as i should. I want a routine for my abs to pop out and be thick opposed to being that skinny guy with the cut up abs. Im currently consuming around 3000cals a day. And lifting 5 days a week. Please give me a good weighted ab routine to let them pop out!!

[quote]toohungry wrote:
hey guys my first post so take it easy

been lifting about 6months im 5’10 165lbs

I lift pretty heavy or what i believe to be heavy for having just started. My bench max is 225, i squat 275x6,deadlift 275x8. I just posted these because people get angry sometimes if you dont anyways…

my diet is very clean and i consume 6 whole meals a day of all clean food. Im pretty educated in how to eat and how to lift but i havn’t been paying attention to my abs as much as i should. I want a routine for my abs to pop out and be thick opposed to being that skinny guy with the cut up abs. Im currently consuming around 3000cals a day. And lifting 5 days a week. Please give me a good weighted ab routine to let them pop out!! [/quote]

At 165lbs, the “thickness” of your abdominal muscles should not really be a concern.

Best way to gain muscle at any specific location is to put on mass all over.

Stick to the compounds, add some heavy overhead exercises (overhead squats, clean+press, push press etc) to work your core.

yes i agree petrichor it hasnt been a main concern of mine at all. I have been doing all the things you addressed. I just thought id throw in some abs since they r a muscle too… that i have kind of negleted. but anyways i am in a bulk regardless.

your squat and deadlift suck.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
your squat and deadlift suck.[/quote]

lol wtf

your cerealbowl haircut sucks…wtf?

thats not helping picking on the guys squat and deadlift. Just keep on going at it dude. Keep on eating big and lifting bigger. Simply don’t neglect your abs. What I do every other day is 3-4 exercises done in a circuit manner at balls to the wall intesity. If I don’t damn near puke it wasn’t hard enough. Make sure you pull or squat before you do this though.

one
I have a shaved head now n never had a “bowl cut”

Two
my lifts I think are decent for having just started sorry I’m not like u mr power dead lift

Thanks growing_boy for actual advice unlike the rest

Your bench and chinups suck.

Dick. :wink:

Seriously, what was up with that comment?

Anyway, I personally experienced some growth in my abdominals since doing military presses.

Add in some decline situps or leg raises, do more heavy overhead work, and front squat. That’ll do it.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
your squat and deadlift suck.

Your bench and chinups suck.

Dick. :wink:

[/quote]

This is great exactly my point. we’re just too damn weak to worrya bout shit like this.

I’m working on getting everything better, simply put this is kind of a rediculous question.

[quote]

Seriously, what was up with that comment?

Anyway, I personally experienced some growth in my abdominals since doing military presses.

Add in some decline situps or leg raises, do more heavy overhead work, and front squat. That’ll do it.[/quote]

put more weight on them, it’s a pretty simple way to put more meat on your stomache. Besides that this is all good advice.

I had a paragraph below it explaining the comment, but it never showed up…

so it just looked like I made an asshole comment.

simply put it would be like if I asked how do I get a wider back, I can already tell you someone would say “add more weight to your chin/row”. Counting just about everyone except some of the older guys ehre to answer questions (myself included in teh weak gusy part). who post on the beginners forum aren’t really moving huge weights regaurdless of what they think.

I’m always thinking to myself. I wonder what I’ll look like when I add 150 pounds to my squat, deadlift, etc. Once this mindset no longer becomes feasable then I’ll start worrying about lagging bodyparts. You weigh as much as I do. we are both small as hell. The simple solution is get bigger everywhere.

I had a paragraph below it explaining the comment, but it never showed up…

so it just looked like I made an asshole comment.

[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking “Man, this guys gotten some help himself and has a decent log of his own up. Why’s he being that way?” Heh.

I’m always thinking to myself. I wonder what I’ll look like when I add 150 pounds to my squat, deadlift, etc. Once this mindset no longer becomes feasable then I’ll start worrying about lagging bodyparts. You weigh as much as I do. we are both small as hell. The simple solution is get bigger everywhere.[/quote]

Agreed.

Front Squats

A fellow trainer showed me something from Mike Boyle’s site (don’t want to post it here because I don’t want to violate any rules because it’s a pay site) but squats engaged all the “core” musculature better than any other lift.

I notice I feel it the most in my abs when I’m front squatting.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
Front Squats

A fellow trainer showed me something from Mike Boyle’s site (don’t want to post it here because I don’t want to violate any rules because it’s a pay site) but squats engaged all the “core” musculature better than any other lift.

I notice I feel it the most in my abs when I’m front squatting.[/quote]

oh fuck yeah.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
Front Squats

I notice I feel it the most in my abs when I’m front squatting.[/quote]

I don’t even do ab work anymore because I do heavy boxsquats, deads, cleans, jerks, and snatchs, militaries every week.

AssOnGrass wrote:
Front Squats

I don’t even do ab work anymore because I do heavy boxsquats, deads, cleans, jerks, and snatchs, militaries every week.[/quote]

ive been doing the same. But the reason i posted it is bc they havnt improved as much as i thought.

If you are really serious on the ab thing you might as well just get this book:The Complete Book of Abs: Revised and Expanded Edition
by Kurt Brungardt

It has pretty much all of the best exercises for the abs, but, I do believe that you should take everyone else’s advice on upping all your lifts since that will produce some core improvements.

Edit: It has over a hundred different core exercises including the obliques and it is very cheap(forgot to mention those!).