T Nation

Plain Yogurt

I read about this food having some kind of bacteria which can help digest food which can come in handy specially when gaining. I also see it has sugar(lactose). If someone is lactose intolerant will it have the same effects as drinking milk?

Also, is Greek yogurt simply plain yogurt or is there a difference?

Greek yogurt has had the whey strained out, leaving it thicker and not quite as sweet. This process also leaves it with a higher protein content and fewer carbs (around 22 grams of protein per serving, depending on the brand). You can usually find it in fat-free, 2%, and full/total.

its also slightly tarter then normal yoghurt, which is good, but some people dont like it. Give it a try.

Greek yogurt is merely plain yogurt on deca. I like mixing it with blueberries.

[quote]varouet wrote:
Greek yogurt is merely plain yogurt on deca. I like mixing it with blueberries.[/quote]

I do too- sometimes I add in vanilla or strawberry protein powder.

I also like to make sauces with it for all those boring tuna/chicken + veggies meals. Place steamed veggies and warm meat chunks in a bowl, add greek yogurt & spices (bacon salt tastes great w/ this, I also like mesquite flavor, or a little parmaggiano reggiano cheese grated & garlic & salt), mix it all up, and it tastes much better than eating that stuff plain to me. I try not to heat up the veggies & meat too much though, just nice and warm, so it doesn’t kill the yogurt cultures.

Also it tastes a lot like sour cream to me. I like to make a taco salad, with lettuce, meat & diced onion prepared w/ taco seasoning, tomato chunks, avacado chunks, sometimes grilled pepper stripps and/or black beans, and top it w/ greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Sometimes I put it in those Mission carb control tortillas. Darn tasty and if I don’t tell other folks it’s fat free greek yogurt and low carb tortillas, they like it too, lol.

[quote]varouet wrote:
Greek yogurt is merely plain yogurt on deca. I like mixing it with blueberries.[/quote]

Haha- sorry this made me laugh out loud!

[quote]theAnj wrote:
varouet wrote:

[/quote]

You can also add sugar free pudding mix to it for varity, it makes it alot thicker and a very filling meal/dessert.

Yogurt contains any number of different digestive bacteria depending on the specific yogurt. The bugs are good for digestive health, and seem to mitigate some of the lactose in yogurt.

Greek yogurt is highly strained, giving it a very thick and creamy consistency. It tastes very tart, especially in the 2% and fat free varieties, and has a TON of protein(19-22 grams per serving for the low fat varieties) and very few carbs. As I understand, greek yogurt is sort of the step in between yogurt and traditional cultured cottage cheese(i.e if you keep straining greek yogurt, you should get casein rich cheese curds).

I bring a cup of greek yogurt with a small handful of dried or frozen fruit stirred in as one of my daily meals. I recommend raisins or chopped dates, but frozen blue berries left to thaw in the yogurt are good too.

One of my favorite foods of all time, enjoy.

I’m slightly lactose intolerant but can eat as much greek yogurt as I want.

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
theAnj wrote:
varouet wrote:

You can also add sugar free pudding mix to it for varity, it makes it alot thicker and a very filling meal/dessert.[/quote]

I love sf pudding mixes, but I hit a plateau in my diet where I just couldn’t eat that stuff and continue losing fat. I can maintain with it, but not lose. Something in the ingredients I guess.

Also, aspartame gives me headaches. Happens every time. Some products unfortunately do not ever use alternate sweeteners- I’d kill to find aspartame-free sugar-free pudding mix or crystal light.

I do keep a tub of fat free no sugar added splenda sweetened vanilla ice cream in the freezer, which I use every once in a while as a treat to make protein milk shakes with. That doesn’t inhibit the fat loss like the sf pudding seems to.

The only downside of greek yogurt is that it’s more expensive than plain yogurt. Trader Joe’s has the best price by far around here.