T Nation

Places You've Lived

I think someone started a thread like this before but I thought it would be interesting to hear all the places people have lived in their lives. I’ll start:
-Born in Princeton, NJ
-When I was 2, me and my mom and dad moved to Istanbul, Trukey where they were originally from.
-Sometime before I was 5 we moved to Cyprus(an island off the ooast of Turkey).
-When I was 5, me, my dad and grandma moved to Houghton, MI.
-Then after my dad got re-married we moved to Cotton, MN (middle of nowhere, I remember we have to drive like 45 minutes to get groceries).
-Then a year later we moved to Calais,ME(on the Canadian border).
-Then after my dad and his wife seperated, me and my dad moved to Cyprus again for a year.
-Then me and my dad moved back to Houghton, MI where I finished school at.
-Then I got into some trouble and my dad sent me to Turkey to live with parents til shit blew over lol.
-Then after a year there I moved back to Houghton, MI.
-Got into trouble again and the judge told me he would let me go if I got out of town, so we moved to Appleton, WI.
-After a year there I moved to La Crosse, WI to live with a couple of my friends.
-Then back to Appleton, got in trouble there and got lucky that the judge let me go there and go to Turkey.
-After a year and a half there, I moved to Ironwood, MI.
-Now I’m back in good ol’ Houghton, MI.

Let’s hear it ladies and gents!

Troublemaker eh?

Seems like you need to be tied up and gagged…lemme fetch my thumbtacks

^I’ve heard of this guy…lol

A few random thoughts about The Series:

Bumgarner looked as good as he ever has tonight. The fastball velocity is still a little inconsistent from start to start, but he has such a long, lazy arm action with 230 lbs behind it that the arm speed doesn’t match the actual speed of the pitch and the ball gets on the hitter quick. Plus, when he’s right, he’s always around the plate and he pounds the inside part of the plate down and in to righties as well as any lefty in the game today.

Prince Fielder scares the shit out of me coming home. He has some history with the Giants from his Milwaukee days. He lit up one of their backup catchers on a play at the plate where the guy didn’t have the ball and wasn’t looking at Fielder. Then the whole homerun celebration/beanball incident from 2009-2010. And he could have gone through Posey like a Pamplonan bull on that play at the plate tonight. Posey handled it much better than last year against Cousins.

Fister showed me something tonight. The bastard took a fucking missile off the back of his head and he stayed in and matched Bumgarner pitch-for-pitch for 6.

That great bunt by Blanco that loaded the bases in the 7th was a big play, but it might have been detrimental for the Giants. It loaded the bases and kept a force in a play, which Crawford then hit into for a doubleplay that scored one run and left a runner at 3rd with 2 outs.

If Blanco simply bunts and advances the runners, it’s runners on second and third with one out and Crawford probably gets walked to load the bases for a potential inning-ending doubleplay. But Theriot would pinch-hit and Leyland would bring in Dotel, who sucks fucking cock and might have given up a hit to a guy like Theriot, who won’t hit the ball out of the park but isn’t going to strike out and isn’t going to swing at bad pitches. A base hit there plates two runners instead of just the one that Crawford knocked in. I suppose in the end I’d still rather have bases loaded with no outs and a worse matchup than bases loaded with one out and a preferential matchup. Dotel can’t throw a strike sometimes, so he might have walked him, and probably more likely than Smyley walking Crawford.

If the Giants win this Series and they win another one after that within the next couple years, they’re a legitimate baseball dynasty, the first since the Yankees of the 1990’s. I think they’d probably have to win more than just three, or play in at least two more before they’d be considered one of the better dynasties though.

The weather report for this weekend in Detroit is for really cold temperatures. I’m not sure if there’s any possibility of rain, but if there is and a game is rained out, it would allow the Tigers to come back with Verlander as early as Game 3 if there’s more than a day’s postponement. Probably an unlikely scenario, but as it stands now he’d have to go on 3 days’ rest to start Game 4 if there’s no postponements, which means that he could start Game 4 at least on regular rest if there DOES happen to be a delay. I liked the Giants’ chances against Verlander in Game 1, but I wouldn’t expect much from them against him in a second start.

Of course, if the Giants win on Saturday behind Vogelsong, the Tigers would HAVE to respond with Verlander on 3 days’ rest against Matt Cain in Game 4 to stave off elimination. I don’t give a fuck what happened in his last start or who the fuck the Tigers have lined up for Game 4 otherwise, if you have a pitcher like Verlander you throw him with your back up against the wall no matter what. That’s what he’s there for if he can’t get you out to an early lead with a dominant start in Game 1. Now his job is to save the Series for the Tigers and the only way he can do it is to start Game 4 if the Giants win Game 3.

Born in Ottawa, Canada, 1973

Moved to Exeter, England, 1978

Moved to Margate, England, 1979

Moved to Winnipeg, Canada 1982

Moved to Taipei, Taiwan, 2001

Not that I think living in different places automatically gives one more insight and wisdom. I knew someone that would mention all the places they’d been and use that to hit others over the head with. Fuck that shit.

Northampton, MA
Alfred, NY
Washington, DC
Cambridge, MA
Natick, MA
Washington, DC

^Yeah I hear ya Nards. And that wasn’t my intention at all. I actually hated moving around so much growing up. The two worst things growing up was being the new kid and having to say good bye to my friends. The latter was probably the worst because I didn’t have any family besides my dad growing up and my friends were kind of like my second family. I love to travel now though, I love meeting new people, seeing new things, experiencing other cultures. How are you liking living in Taiwan? Did it take you a while to get comfortable there?

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
Northampton, MA
Alfred, NY
Washington, DC
Cambridge, MA
Natick, MA
Washington, DC
[/quote]
Red Sox fan?

[quote]johnman18 wrote:
^Yeah I hear ya Nards. And that wasn’t my intention at all. I actually hated moving around so much growing up. The two worst things growing up was being the new kid and having to say good bye to my friends. The latter was probably the worst because I didn’t have any family besides my dad growing up and my friends were kind of like my second family. I love to travel now though, I love meeting new people, seeing new things, experiencing other cultures. How are you liking living in Taiwan? Did it take you a while to get comfortable there?[/quote]

It’s great except for the summers. You’re in Michigan so you know that winters can be dreadful, as they are in Winnipeg, but dear God the summers here are so hot (maybe 85 to 90 on the thermometer but with humidity it’s about 110) and it doesn’t go down much when the sun goes down…only about 5 degrees cooler.
Even today, October 26th is 85 or so out (it’s 27 C)

-Born in Honolulu
-Crane, TX
-Grand Falls, TX
-Roswell, NM
-Winters, TX
-Portland, TX
-Ingleside, TX
-San Angelo, TX
-San Antonio, TX
-Jacksonville, IL
-San Antonio, TX
-Fort Knox, KY
-Aberdeen, MD
-Corpus Christi, TX
-San Diego, CA
-Edinburg, TX
-Brownsvile, TX
-Corpus Christi, TX
-Fort Wayne, IN
-Soon to be Houston, TX

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
715 words[/quote]

You must have the highest average words per post of anyone on this board.

Born in Houston, TX

Lived in McAllen, TX for about 3 years split over 2 stints

Live in Austin for a li’l over a year

Portland, OR for 6-7 months

Lubbock, TX for 2-ish months

Back in Houston. Though it’s home and I love it, I’m ready to get the fuck out again and experience living somewhere else, even if just for a bit.

Born in Kalispell, MT
Moved to Richmond, IN
Moved to Paris, France
Moved to Dayton, OH (elementary school)
Moved to Columbus, OH (middle school and high school)
Moved to Cleveland, OH (high school)
Moved to Springfield, MO (parents moved my senior year)
Moved to Rolla, MO (college)
Moved to Huntsville, AL (summer job/co-op/internship)
Back to Rolla, MO (back to college)
Back to Springfield, MO
Moved to Columbus, OH (for a job)
Moved to Indianapolis, IN (for a girl - and a good job)
Moving to… Seattle/Portland/Denver…? Maybe even Dubai… pretty open right now.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Not that I think living in different places automatically gives one more insight and wisdom. I knew someone that would mention all the places they’d been and use that to hit others over the head with. Fuck that shit.[/quote]

I agree… but I’ve found the converse to usually be true. People who haven’t ever moved seem to be lacking a lot of insight and wisdom.

That whole thing about finding new friends, re-establishing social infrastructure, culture shock… that’s some good character building.

(Still nothing like starting in Canada and ending up in Taipei though; I’m impressed.)

North America
South America
Confidential

[quote]Professor X wrote:
North America
South America
The Moon[/quote]

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]johnman18 wrote:
^Yeah I hear ya Nards. And that wasn’t my intention at all. I actually hated moving around so much growing up. The two worst things growing up was being the new kid and having to say good bye to my friends. The latter was probably the worst because I didn’t have any family besides my dad growing up and my friends were kind of like my second family. I love to travel now though, I love meeting new people, seeing new things, experiencing other cultures. How are you liking living in Taiwan? Did it take you a while to get comfortable there?[/quote]

It’s great except for the summers. You’re in Michigan so you know that winters can be dreadful, as they are in Winnipeg, but dear God the summers here are so hot (maybe 85 to 90 on the thermometer but with humidity it’s about 110) and it doesn’t go down much when the sun goes down…only about 5 degrees cooler.
Even today, October 26th is 85 or so out (it’s 27 C)[/quote]
Man, that sounds miserable. Yeah the winters here are absolutely horrible. I remember the summer’s in turkey were miserable too, that humidity just makes it so unbearable.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
North America
South America
The Moon[/quote]
[/quote]

Look, they said never to disclose that shit. I told them white dudes in Asia are traitors.

Look here…it was Canada’s moon first!

Born Halifax NS 1964
Ottawa ON 1972
San Antonio TX 1975
Calgary AB 1976
Barrie, ON 1979
Fredericton, NB 1983
Lahr, W. Germany, 1984/London, ON 1984 (University/home with parents)
Toronto, ON 1988
Hamilton, ON 1999 to present

So many military bases, so little time. The best was Lahr in the 80’s. Does anyone else miss the cold war? It was awesome there at that time.