Places to Train in Houston?

I am trying to find out if anyone knows of sites to train in Houston - either MMA or boxing.

There are tons of places.easy thing to do is go to txmma.com and look for schools.

What side of town are you on? I might even be able to recommend a few.

I’m on the centeral west side but I also have ties down south 45…

I will check out that site.

Let me know what you recommend.

So 610/westheimer area?

or further north? If you are around 249 1960 area I have a friend who owns a gym over there. There is also elite MMA through out houston, and I believe yves Edwards gym is off of 610 North

I live by the galleria and work at Westheimer and BW 8

Do you train? Where?

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Do you train? Where? [/quote]

oh in that case I think Bam Bam’s gym is close by and I know silverback’s gym is close as well.

Yeah I train on the north side. Currently taking judo, and I mix it up with some friends that train mma from time to time.

[quote]JGerman wrote:

Do you train? Where? [/quote]

I live by the Galleria as well. There’s the House of Pain [boxing] off of Austin st. in downtown, there’s a huge mma center on Bllaire and the beltway, though the name escapes me. I know that a Militech [sp?] fighting center just opened a couple of months back on Richmond and the beltway.

Thanks fellas - Do you have any idea how much I could expect to pay to train these places? I really don’t want to pay alot but more or less spar, learn techniques, and get after it.

I have tried to look most of them up on the web. I found Bam Bams and Elite but not too much on Silverback (other than myspace) and House of Pain.

100 a month or more is about typical

The boxing gyms are typically much more reasonable. I’ve found the mma gyms to be absurdly expensive, and I assume it’s 'cause it’s just starting to get popular and owners are capitalizing on the publics over excitement.

Know of any good places that do MMA in the Humble or Kingwood area? I am still kind of new here and I would like to get into MMA now that I am in shape again.

I would specifically like to do brazilian jujitsu and/or krav mcgaw, I had just started going to a MMA gym back at my old home before I moved here for my new job.

[quote]Nanan wrote:
Know of any good places that do MMA in the Humble or Kingwood area? I am still kind of new here and I would like to get into MMA now that I am in shape again.

I would specifically like to do brazilian jujitsu and/or krav mcgaw, I had just started going to a MMA gym back at my old home before I moved here for my new job.[/quote]

Don’t know if it is any good but this is what I found for Kingwood

http://www.thebbaonline.com/programs/jiujitsu.asp

I would not have guessed we had this many people in H town on T-Nation that were into MA.

Maybe we can all get together and have a king of the forum match… :slight_smile:

Don’t know if it is any good but this is what I found for Kingwood

http://www.thebbaonline.com/programs/jiujitsu.asp

I would not have guessed we had this many people in H town on T-Nation that were into MA.

Maybe we can all get together and have a king of the forum match… :-)[/quote]

Sweet! I should be game…

I am going to Bam Bam’s next Monday and plan on going to a cheap(ish) boxing ring I found on the north side of 610 too.

[quote]Nanan wrote:

I would specifically like to do brazilian jujitsu and/or krav mcgaw, I had just started going to a MMA gym back at my old home before I moved here for my new job.[/quote]

If you are in the Humble area there is one place you need to know about…

Solis Martial Arts

www.solismartialarts.com

Alvis Solis has his blackbelt under Carlos Machado as do the other 4 or 5 blackbelts at his school.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I am trying to find out if anyone knows of sites to train in Houston - either MMA or boxing.

[/quote]

Elite Martial Arts (Probably the closest to you)

Solis Martial Arts (One of the Houston area originals)

Travis Tooke’s Place (A Gracie Baja blackbelt. His matwork is INSANE!!!)

Draculino just opened a new place in Clear Lake. A chance to train with a legend.

On the west side is Katy Jiu Jitsu

That should keep you busy for a while

That is helpful.

I may take check those places out too.

Tonight, I am going to Bam Bam’s to see what it is all about.

I train at Miletich Fighting Systems here in Houston and recommend you checking them out if you are serious about MMA. The instructor (Sam Hoger) was on the 1st season of The Ultimate Fighter and he has a great teaching style. He has some good connections for when you are ready to really fight. YOu can check out their site at mfshou.com and are located off of Richmond & the Beltway.

Saul Soliz’s Metro Fight Club is another one. He has been training people for at least 15 years.

www.metrofightclub.com