Places to Oly Lift in Calgary?

I’m looking for a place to drop in once a week to do some oly lifts. I was going to the talisman center but they’ve closed their doors to drop ins while they redo the roof. Anyone one know of a place that doesn’t cost a fortune to drop in? I’ve heard of peak power but I can’t ever get an answer when I call there to see what it cost or what their hours are.

I actually lift and work part time at Peak Power, which also has the “Tork” weightlifting club, the drop in rate is 15 bucks and the hours are 10-8 mondays-friday, and 10-4 on saturdays.

why only once a week? if you dont mind me asking

Leave a message in Thib’s subforum, in one of the threads, he may be able to help you out.

[quote]tork94 wrote:
I actually lift and work part time at Peak Power, which also has the “Tork” weightlifting club, the drop in rate is 15 bucks and the hours are 10-8 mondays-friday, and 10-4 on saturdays.

why only once a week? if you dont mind me asking [/quote]

Not open Sundays at all eh? Those hours seem kind of brutal.

I’m only looking for something occasionally because I do most of my lifting in a garage and just go to a gym to use bumpers for working on cleans and snatches. I don’t compete so don’t dedicate that much time to actual oly lifting.

Mount Royal University has a good gym, three platforms, 7 places to squat and good bars. I think its $12 to drop in. It can get busy at times but it’s workable. Plus piles of hot girls.

[quote]Petey1 wrote:
Mount Royal University has a good gym, three platforms, 7 places to squat and good bars. I think its $12 to drop in. It can get busy at times but it’s workable. Plus piles of hot girls.[/quote]

this is true, i go to school here and the ratio of girls to guys is literally 3/1.

any of you guys go to nationals? is there lot of ppl that compete there?

Like would you look like bit of a douche going if you only hit the national standard by couple-few kgs?

Well, if you looked, you could probably find results from nationals for the past few years, and get a feel for how many people compete per weight class and how much they’re lifting. As far as looking like a douche, I can’t really comment, because I haven’t been to nationals yet, but I generally could give two shits what people think, I train/compete for myself, not a bunch of spectators I don’t know.

Also, nice double post.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Well, if you looked, you could probably find results from nationals for the past few years, and get a feel for how many people compete per weight class and how much they’re lifting. As far as looking like a douche, I can’t really comment, because I haven’t been to nationals yet, but I generally could give two shits what people think, I train/compete for myself, not a bunch of spectators I don’t know.

Also, nice double post.[/quote]

Spoken like a true Albertan.

:smiley:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

Also, nice double post.[/quote]

That isn’t a double post, there is no repetition there - it’s 2 consecutive posts. As far as looking around myself, what is the point of a discussion forum if you can’t ask a question here, I wanted to hear some personal experiences anyway, and really from the looks of it, this forum could use some discussion since no one posts anything around here anyway.

That’s nice that you compete for yourself and all. I have never competed at olympic weight lifting, I just throw some o lifts into my workout once a month or so recently, so I don’t really know whole lot about the competitive side of it. I can say competing in university track and field, which i’m familiar with, even if you qualify, it’s in poor taste to go to the CIS championships if you’re not competitive with rest of the field. For instance quebec will bring a 10m weight thrower just b/c he’s the only guy in the province throwing weight, and as such qualifies, when the next guy up in the CIS pool is throwing 15m. Everyone just shakes their head, b/c it looks ridiculous.

You posted twice, in two minutes, when you could have easily edited your second post into your first one (as you said, this forum is kind of dead, no-one would have been the wiser). Maybe not the textbook definition of double post, I’m not well-versed in that shit, but it’s close enough I don’t feel bad about trying to bust your balls over it.

As far as personal experiences at nationals, honestly not sure there’s anybody here who has been to Canadian nationals (unless tork94 is who I think he is), although I’m going in May, and Invictica can hit the qualifying total at Westerns if he has a good day, I think (haven’t been following the log thread as close these days). So ask again in a couple months and I’ll have a better answer for you.

Go for the experience, maybe that 10m thrower will come back next year as a 20m thrower. On a side note, if people only sent athletes who are competitive, it would basically be only quebec competing hahahaha.

Good job on including the quick lifts in your workout! They’re fun and make a nice complement to other training.

There are several places in town that have weightlifting platforms. National Sport Development, U of C, COP, Altadore Weightlifting club and MRU come to mind. FYI, MRU costs $10/visit and less if you buy a 10 visit pass ($8.50/visit) and indeed, the scenery is excellent! There are a few Crossfit clubs that also have platforms and would probably welcome drop-ins. I know of a place on Edmonton Trail that has platforms, but the name escapes me right now. There are many more, but you have to look for them. I’ve been to a couple of downtown office towers with training facilities that had full sets of bumpers. You will find many people, myself included, who have setups in their garages and are often more than willing to accomodate those interested.

My experience is that Peak Power is expensive, the hours are restrictive and parking is an added expense. The facility often gets crowded with teams training; people can often be seen training in the hallways. They have no changeroom or showers; changing takes place in a public washroom shared with SAIT, the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Showers can be had in the SAIT gym upstairs for an additional fee.

FWIW, there are currently 36 male and 4 female lifters ranked in the province. Of the 36, 9 are of national calibre or higher. In a province of 3.7 million, that’s a pretty small number so I would hope that others would welcome you into their ranks regardless of your proficiency. Competing at any level is an excellent opportunity to learn, gain experience and meet with like minded individuals. There are excellent lifters in every province, but truth be known, even the best Canadian lifters can’t compete with the best in the world. The more people who try weightlifting, the better the chance of producing national or international calibre lifters so I don’t think there is any shame in lifting if you are not of national calibre. Lift for yourself, take pride in your accomplishments and see where it takes you. Good luck.

[quote]BigDog100 wrote:
There are several places in town that have weightlifting platforms. National Sport Development, U of C, COP, Altadore Weightlifting club and MRU come to mind. FYI, MRU costs $10/visit and less if you buy a 10 visit pass ($8.50/visit) and indeed, the scenery is excellent! There are a few Crossfit clubs that also have platforms and would probably welcome drop-ins. I know of a place on Edmonton Trail that has platforms, but the name escapes me right now. There are many more, but you have to look for them. I’ve been to a couple of downtown office towers with training facilities that had full sets of bumpers. You will find many people, myself included, who have setups in their garages and are often more than willing to accomodate those interested.

My experience is that Peak Power is expensive, the hours are restrictive and parking is an added expense. The facility often gets crowded with teams training; people can often be seen training in the hallways. They have no changeroom or showers; changing takes place in a public washroom shared with SAIT, the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Showers can be had in the SAIT gym upstairs for an additional fee.
[/quote]

The U of C gym doesn’t have bumpers/platforms, the Oval weight room does but that’s generally not open to the public. Same with COP, they don’t let just anybody stroll in there. Don’t know anything about NSD, the Altadore Weightlifting Club or Crossfit gyms. I like the thought of sending this guy after garage gyms and other lesser known places, but those would probably be harder to find unless you know the right people.

As far as Peak Power/Tork Weightlifting, one could make the argument that the negatives you’ve outlined are offset by the coach (who I hear is excellent) and the training environment. Never trained there myself, but generally there’s a good environment when you get teams training together.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]BigDog100 wrote:

[/quote]

The U of C gym doesn’t have bumpers/platforms, the Oval weight room does but that’s generally not open to the public. Same with COP, they don’t let just anybody stroll in there. Don’t know anything about NSD, the Altadore Weightlifting Club or Crossfit gyms. I like the thought of sending this guy after garage gyms and other lesser known places, but those would probably be harder to find unless you know the right people.

As far as Peak Power/Tork Weightlifting, one could make the argument that the negatives you’ve outlined are offset by the coach (who I hear is excellent) and the training environment. Never trained there myself, but generally there’s a good environment when you get teams training together.[/quote]

You have to sign up for a month or more to get the coaching from Tork Club afaik. As for NSD they offer drop ins and have lifting platforms in both north and south locations. The crossfi gyms are almost by far the most expensive place for a drop in as they assume you would only drop in to take one of their classes with one of their statistically low quality coaches.

-chris

You have to sign up for a month or more to get the coaching from Tork Club afaik. As for NSD they offer drop ins and have lifting platforms in both north and south locations. The crossfi gyms are almost by far the most expensive place for a drop in as they assume you would only drop in to take one of their classes with one of their statistically low quality coaches.

The Tork website says you have to sign up for the Intro to Weightlifting course or be competent in the lifts to join their club. Joe84 didn’t mention anything about wanting coaching. Crossfit Cowtown offers a free drop-in any Saturday at 2:00pm; can’t beat that price!

www.crossfitcowtown.com/search/label/Pricing . Talk to Sean at Cowtown Crossfit. He’s a really nice guy and I’m sure you could work something out for a drop-in.

So I see my thread was hijacked for a few posts. Anyway I did check out Peak Power a couple weeks ago, haven’t been back since. Good place and nice people, but it took me forever to drive there (40 mins one way) and the hours aren’t very good, so I probably won’t be going again. I will have to check one of these other places out. Regarding the coaching and competing stuff that people mentioned I’m not interested in either so it’s really a moot point. I just lift for all around strength.

If anyone thinks of a place east of deerfoot post it. Thanks.

great shower replacement product - www.qwikshower.com - large wet disposable washcloths, throw them in your gym bag, really cheap.

Hey there,
Just thought I would update this. Here’s a tour of our new facilty (it’s east of Deerfoot)

Contact info:
http://www.bellsofsteel.com/pages/Contact.html