T Nation

Placebo? - Quality Research

I freqently read many of the threads here. In the majority of the cases, the thread starter is looking for advice on treatment/interventions for their respective painful experience. Likewise, the majority of posters provide advice without evidence to support their best intentions. With that said, I think a thread on placebo is very much needed.

This video is NOT just a media story. It is based on a research study from a high powered medical journal.

Reference:

A Controlled Trial of Arthroscopic Surgery for Osteoarthritis of the Knee |J. Bruce Moseley, M.D., Kimberly O’Malley, Ph.D., Nancy J. Petersen, Ph.D., Terri J. Menke, Ph.D., Baruch A. Brody, Ph.D., David H. Kuykendall, Ph.D., John C. Hollingsworth, Dr.P.H., Carol M. Ashton, M.D., M.P.H., and Nelda P. Wray, M.D., M.P.H.
N Engl J Med 2002; 347:81-88 | July 11, 2002 |

DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa013259

So, before dealing out hundreds (maybe thousands) for treatment, do yourself a favor and look to high quality research to make a decision. (Some free advice: next time you suspect a torn rotator cuff, ask your MD for an ultrasound and not an MRI, you’ll save a boatload…)

Ultrasound is user dependent. If it were my shoulder, I would get an MRI.

Beefcake, MD-PhD.

Also, I love it when people dole out the same advice, regardless of diagnosis, as if the diagnosis is not important.

Agreed, user dependent, but that’s the same statement made by MDs geting paid for running the machine.

Physical examination and mechanism of onset carry high enough sensitivities to rule most conditions. In many cases the MRI is performed by MDs that own the machine (thus get a portion of the proceeds).

Advice here: foam roll (evidence???), strengthen (insert muscle…evidence???), Astym/graston/skin scraping(evidence outside of case report??), etc etc

Well, I don’t own an MRI. I do use ultrasound guidance for peripheral joint/nerve/muscle injections. And I do understand depending on the view, probe position, the image can change. With that being said, if it were my shoulder, I am asking for an MRI.