T Nation

PL Gyms near Denham Springs, LA?

Hello everyone. I am new to T-Nation and new to powerlifting as well. I am 31 years old and just recently moved to Denham Springs, LA. I am looking for a gym to train with powerlifters. I am a newbie when it comes to powerlifting but I really want to get into the sport. I can't really afford to pay over $55 per month for a gym. Any recommendations?

Fletchers House of Power is in Baton Rouge. But that is just from a passing knowledge of the area and I have never really been there. Just seen it in passing and googled. Looks pretty solid though.

Dude! You're in Garry Frank's neighborhood. He lives in Greenwell Springs and runs Hardcore Barbell. Up to this point, it has been a building in his back yard, and he didn't charge a set fee; you are just expected to help out when needed for meets and stuff. He had bought a commercial building and intends to move the gym there, but I don't know what the time table is. You can get his contact information from the World Powerlifting Congress website under "state chairmen".

Hey guys thanks for the responses . Dr. J do you know if Gary Frank would takes in newbies to train? I went to a meet while I was living in Georgia a couple of months ago and I am hooked.

Well I called and talked to Gary Frank and he is gracious enough to allow me to workout at his gym starting tomorrow. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have a lot of work to do and a lot to learn. My powerlifting journey starts now and what a start it is!

That's cool! His guys are freak-show-strong, so it is easy to get intimidated. But, they are a great group. Just work hard, and you'll be fine. I used to make the trek and train with them occasionally, but I haven't been in a while. I want to do the AAPF Nationals in the spring (Garry's hosting it in Baton Rouge). If I do, I'll make it a point to train with them a time or two while prepping. Hope to see you there.