Pizza Is/Isn't a Junk Food

I couldn’t find the link at the time… you’re awesome!

Awesome… good enough for the matrix is good enough for me.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
I’ve made pizza dough from scratch, with 100% whole wheat flour. It tastes much better, and I don’t crash later from hypoglycemia - as the case with the commercial starch crusts.

I also use grass-fed cheese and meats, for healthier fats.

Reason I haven’t made pizza in a month or so now, is that I’m leaning out, and have cut carbs. Pizza can be healthy. It all depends on preparation and then perhaps on physique goals.[/quote]

Unless all you were eating was the crusts, you would not get that because of the fat you would be eating with it as well.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
El_Animal wrote:
lol who said pizza was clean?!?!

People think in extremes or not at all.[/quote]

Haha I like that. So true.

[quote]Beatnik wrote:

besides, no one puts enough chillies on pizza’s these days.[/quote]

Although there certainly appears to be enough apostrophes to go around.

[quote]El_Animal wrote:
lol who said pizza was clean?!?![/quote]

I don’t know if anyone actually said it was clean. I didn’t read that part of the Tate thread.
My comment was meant to be sarcastic.

i eat pizza every day some times 2 long live pizza.

Well, I know the pizza I eat is clean. I wash it in the sink before I eat it, so I know it’s clean.

“Clean” and “healthy” are relative terms, and a food’s value in your diet needs to put in its proper context. The other foods you eat (or don’t eat), your own medical history, genetics, etc. all determine whether or not you should eat a particular food for certain goals.

The reason people suggest eating “clean” when dieting is that it is much easier to get what you need and stay under your caloric intake goals. It becomes more difficult with “unclean” foods to do the same, but it is not in any way impossible; it just takes a little thought.

I like to prepare a whole wheat pizza dough, with a drizzle of olive oil and very little sauce and NO cheese. This is actually quite tasty, as well as healthy and could hardly be labelled as junk food.

[quote]JACKED71 wrote:
I like to prepare a whole wheat pizza dough, with a drizzle of olive oil and very little sauce and NO cheese. This is actually quite tasty, as well as healthy and could hardly be labelled as junk food.[/quote]

No cheese? This is blasphemy. I refuse to believe you would destroy the name “pizza” by denying it cheese.

No cheese? This is blasphemy. I refuse to believe you would destroy the name “pizza” by denying it cheese.[/quote]

AMEN!!!
Behold the power of cheez

JACKED71 wrote:
I like to prepare a whole wheat pizza dough, with a drizzle of olive oil and very little sauce and NO cheese. This is actually quite tasty, as well as healthy and could hardly be labelled as junk food.

No cheese? This is blasphemy. I refuse to believe you would destroy the name “pizza” by denying it cheese.[/quote]

Agreed, why are you even calling that pizza? That’s whole wheat dough with olive oil and some tomato sauce on it, not pizza… I would say just eating bread with some cheese on it is closer to pizza than that

MODOK wrote:
Are we talking “healthy” or just “clean”? I guess any good, protein and calorie dense food would be good for bulking fellas. Sure, you can get huge as hell going to McDonalds and Pizza Hut, just look at the aforementioned Dave Tate. Can you get LEAN eating it daily? Very doubtful.

“Healthy” is relative anyway. If people on this board have some arbitrary concept of “health” as their goal, why are they bodybuilding? The two don’t exactly go hand in hand. You can be a very “healthy” 140lbs guy with no muscle mass. This is a bodybuilding forum, not some life extension “eat once a day or less” forum.[/quote]

I have no problem with pizza sometimes. And I don’t think it’s gonna have an adverse effect on health if it’s not a staple. People do think in extremes. But what are you trying to say with this? You are a doctor. Right? You don’t care about being healthy and the internal state of your body as well as being big? Or are you just loooking at it from a body composition prespective?

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
JACKED71 wrote:

No cheese? This is blasphemy. I refuse to believe you would destroy the name “pizza” by denying it cheese.

Agreed, why are you even calling that pizza? That’s whole wheat dough with olive oil and some tomato sauce on it, not pizza… I would say just eating bread with some cheese on it is closer to pizza than that[/quote]

I’m a cheese fan. But Neapolitan pizza’s good too. Just not as good.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Agreed, why are you even calling that pizza? That’s whole wheat dough with olive oil and some tomato sauce on it, not pizza… I would say just eating bread with some cheese on it is closer to pizza than that[/quote]

They used to serve us that shit in elementary school but on regular dough! Damn catholics!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Professor X wrote:
MODOK wrote:
Are we talking “healthy” or just “clean”? I guess any good, protein and calorie dense food would be good for bulking fellas. Sure, you can get huge as hell going to McDonalds and Pizza Hut, just look at the aforementioned Dave Tate. Can you get LEAN eating it daily? Very doubtful.

“Healthy” is relative anyway. If people on this board have some arbitrary concept of “health” as their goal, why are they bodybuilding? The two don’t exactly go hand in hand. You can be a very “healthy” 140lbs guy with no muscle mass. This is a bodybuilding forum, not some life extension “eat once a day or less” forum.

I have no problem with pizza sometimes. And I don’t think it’s gonna have an adverse effect on health if it’s not a staple. People do think in extremes. But what are you trying to say with this? You are a doctor. Right? You don’t care about being healthy and the internal state of your body as well as being big? Or are you just loooking at it from a body composition prespective?
[/quote]

Who said anything about not caring about being healthy? I could eat a pizza every other day and still be “healthy” so what are you talking about? I could eat a hambuger every single day and still be “healthy” so what is the issue? If my diet were balanced in other areas, why would someone hang “health” on whether you eat a pizza? It makes no sense to think like that.

Your health is more complex than one specific food item. The only way we are justified in this discussion is in relation to body composition because health is not measured on “pizzas eaten”.

Who said anything about not caring about being healthy? I could eat a pizza every other day and still be “healthy” so what are you talking about? I could eat a hambuger every single day and still be “healthy” so what is the issue? If my diet were balanced in other areas, why would someone hang “health” on whether you eat a pizza? It makes no sense to think like that.

Your health is more complex than one specific food item. The only way we are justified in this discussion is in relation to body composition because health is not measured on “pizzas eaten”.[/quote]

No, I agree with you. Eating pizza or hamburgers does not mean you are unhealthy. But you were talking about his being a bodybuilding site, and seemingly questioning a focus on health here. I think most of us here care about being healthy. I guess I just misunderstood what you were trying to say there and you were just talking about it from a body composition viewpoint only…

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Your health is more complex than one specific food item. The only way we are justified in this discussion is in relation to body composition because health is not measured on “pizzas eaten”.

No, I agree with you. Eating pizza or hamburgers does not mean you are unhealthy. But you were talking about his being a bodybuilding site, and seemingly questioning a focus on health here. I think most of us here care about being healthy. I guess I just misunderstood what you were trying to say there and you were just talking about it from a body composition viewpoint only…[/quote]

I am making the point that this is not primarily a “health site”. Health may be one goal in bodybuilding, but that is not everything about bodybuilding. You can be “healthy” and never bench press over 150lbs. You can be “healthy” and not have one ab showing. You can be “healthy” and have shoulders like a Chinese school girl. To get big takes lots of food and while many of us have no desire of being “unhealthy”, to present everything as if eating “clean” at all times is a goal on this site is false. That is where gray areas come in and why talk of it sparks pages of debate between that idea and those who only think in extremes.

[quote]
JACKED71 wrote:

Professor X wrote:

What does the Church of the Whole(y) Wheat Crust think of fat-free cheese? The stuff from Kraft isn’t that bad – granted, it’s not like shaved buffalo mozarella or anything, but it means you can eat more slices (my favorite part is good sauce anyway…).

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:

JACKED71 wrote:

Professor X wrote:

What does the Church of the Whole(y) Wheat Crust think of fat-free cheese? The stuff from Kraft isn’t that bad – granted, it’s not like shaved buffalo mozarella or anything, but it means you can eat more slices (my favorite part is good sauce anyway…).[/quote]

I’ve tried it before. It doesn’t melt the same. I guess it all depends on what you can deal with.