Pixie's Log

Week 16: 130129

DLs: 45kg x5, 55x5, 62.5x5, 67.5x5, 60x5
OHP: 20kg x5, 25x5, 27.5x5, 63#x5, 68#x5, 25kg x5
Push Press (Behind the Neck): 25kg x1, 27.5x1, 30x1, 32.5x1, 35x1x9
Prowler: 70# x80ft x2

That 68#x5 OHP was a 5rm PR for me :slight_smile: The most I’ve ever ohp was 70#. This blows that away, in my opinion. There are some tires at the gym where I work out and I’ve been wanting to flip the big one for a while. Tried it when I first moved to this gym four months ago and couldn’t budge it. It weighs 260#, so it’s a good sized tire for me to try to flip. Flipped it twice today :slight_smile: Best part, my knee is really holding up to this stuff. The past year and a bit of rehab have been worth it to get to this point. I don’t think about my knee as much when I’m walking up or down stairs. It’s stronger than it was before and I’m just so happy :slight_smile:

On a side note, I’ve also started to practice for the highland games again. I signed up for a competition in Phoenix in March :slight_smile: I’ve been doing hammer winds and walking through the wfd. It’s feeling pretty good. I’ll see what it feels like when I try practicing with a makeshift heavy weight for distance.

oohh sounds so exciting! I am jelly about the tire too.

Hey Coyotegal! Yeah, I really enjoy the highland games. Especially the community of women that are involved in the sport. The high level ones are still sitting there, talking to you and giving you advice on your throwing even though you might be two classes below them. They’re hilarious, too :slight_smile:

Did some light weight for distance (lwfd) throws before my workout today. I’m working on a couple aspects: making sure to ‘push’ the weight around on the initial cast, push it down on the first turn, drive forward, push it down again and get a really good post off my left leg while still accelerating the weight. Little hard to do the last part when I can’t let go of the weight (someone could get hurt by the flying powerball) but overall it’s feeling good. Guess I’ll see how good it is when I can let it go on the field.

I’ve been thinking about my numbers and what I’d be happy with. Honestly, I’m going to be happy just throwing but I’m competitive to the core. I’m thinking 80% of my max throws from last year are more than doable. The caber is the only event where I’m not sure. Lots of elements to consider there. How big the stick is, what the weather is like, how good my grip is (my hands sweat a lot sometimes, very annoying) and how comfortable I feel with it in my hands. One of the silliest things ever is that thinking about this stuff is keeping me up. I’m thinking about how I want to throw something, where I’d push/pull/post. How it should feel when I let it go. I really wish I lived somewhere without snow right now :slight_smile:

Well, here’s my workout for the day!

Week 16: 130131

OHP: 20kg x5, 25x5, 27.5x5, 63#x5, 68#x5, 25kg x5x5
glute bridges: blue band x35/30/35

Not a lot else I could do, or wanted to do today. Track people kind of take over the open area where I work out. It was a good day. Got 68#x5 on ohp. I really like doing it three times a week. Gives me the rep work I need to keep getting stronger.

Very slow and relaxing workout yesterday. I’m really enjoying doing pttp for my deads and ohp. I’m definitely stronger than I used to be :slight_smile:

Week 16: 130202

OHP: 20kg x5, 25x5, 27.5x5, 63#x5, 68#x5

Super set of:
Bench: 65# x10x5
DLs: 35kg x10x5

glute bridges: black band x30/20/10

Ouch.

Another workout today since I have a massage tomorrow. Don’t know what I’d do without my massage :slight_smile:

Week 17: 130203

Braemar practice: 4kg indoor shot x 5-6 throws. Couldn’t do more than that because the area started to get more populated. I don’t feel like hurting anyone, so I stopped.

DLs: 45kg x5, 55x5, 65x5, 70x5, 62.5x5
OHP: 20kg x5, 25x5, 27.5x5, 63#x5, 25kg x5
PP: 25kg x1, 30x1, 32.5x1, 35x1, 37.5x1x5

Done. Probably could have done more but I just didn’t feel like it.

Well, just got back from my first competition of the year. No practice walking into this game since there’s still snow on the ground. My main goals here were to have fun and not hurt myself. I accomplished both and managed to throw within 80-90% of my personal bests. Not bad at all.

Open stone (9#): 24’5"
Braemar (13#): 19’3"
LWFD: 46’10.5"
HWFD: 23’7"
LH: 64’10"
HH: 49’8"
Caber: 11:45 (Should have been 12:00 but oh well)
WOB: 11’

Week 24: 130329

DLs: 45kg x5, 50x5, 55x5, 60x5, 65x5, 70x5, 65x5
OHP: 20kg x5, 25x5, 27.5x5, 30x5, 32.5x2x2, 32.5x1, 27.5x5

New 2RM for me for OHP :slight_smile:

First comp of the year always exciting. Is your friend that was on Tnation still competing with you?

Yeah, he’s still competing. He didn’t compete at this one, though. Didn’t have the money or time in his schedule to travel down to the states this time. Hopefully I’ll bring my numbers up enough to be able to go back to Enumclaw this year.

13/04/27: Throwing Practice

Was finally nice enough and dry enough for an outdoor practice! Went out to the field looking to do some weight for distance and hammers.

LWFD - Single spin drill x 5
LWFD - Double turn x 3
HWFD - Double turn x 5

Going to try and focus on practicing the HWFD more than the light. I can muscle through positions on the LWFD and that isn’t great when I’m trying to work on form. The HWFD keeps me honest and really thinking about the power positions and proper technique that needs to go into the throw.

Key points to remember from this practice for the WFD:

1. Sink to add momentum to the weight.
  2. Initial cast: remember to push the weight out and down, not just down.
  3. WAIT for the weight to get around to 12 o’clock.
  4. Quick feet.
  5. Push the weight to zero and sink. Don’t wait for it to get there. Actively push it where I want it to go.
  6. Drive off the left foot in the transition from first to second turn. In order to do this, my left foot has to pivot during the weight shift. Keep my heel off the ground!!!

Lots to think about and try to remember :stuck_out_tongue:

9# hammer x 6

Key points here:

1. Twist to the right on the first two winds.
  2. On the third wind, reach far left, look up and reach far right.
  3. Drive the hammer down, sink the hips a little and pull through on the left.

Really need to work on my finish on the hammers. My winds are normally nice and I screw up the throw at the end. Stuff to work on this season.

WOB x 5

Key points here:

1. Push the weight back and keep my legs straight (think RDL, neutral spine).
  2. Sink my hips like I’m going to do a clean.
  3. Chase the weight with my hips, keeping my arm close to my chest - triple extension.
  4. Pull up with my arm. Should feel like I’m pulling forever if I’ve done it right.

Going to take some work for me to get comfortable really dropping my hips and exploding up. I’m always worried about the weight hitting the ground but if I’m doing it right, that shouldn’t be a factor.

Sheaf and stone throwing next week. Gotta shake off the rust before my next competition on May long!

13/05/03

KB swings (2-hand): 70x10x3
OHP: 20kg x8, 22.5x8, 25x6, 20x8
PP: 20kg x8, 22.5x8, 25x8
BW Squats x10x3
Prowler: 70# x 80ft x 2

13/05/04

Morning circuit:
Glute bridges: Black band x20x3
DB OHP: 12# x15x3
KB swings (per hand): 35x10x3
Meadows reverse fly: 12x20x3

13/05/04 Throwing Practice:

Braemar x5
Open Stone x6
12# hammer x6

Still lots of stuff to work on here. For Braemar, I really need to work on sinking, getting the initial twist with my right foot then really driving off it before posting with my left and really swinging that left arm around. Yes, must remember to do all of this in 2 seconds. Mmhmm.

Open stone is another can of worms entirely. I really have to get used to driving off my left foot aggressively so I eat up the space to the trig instead of landing 2-3’ back. These are a work in progress. It’s getting there, feeling a little better and I’m gaining confidence from the fact that my left knee is holding up under that pressure even when it’s already a little tweaked.

Hammer. Oh hammer. I really need to remember that bending my knees is important. My first three throws were my best. Those were the ones where I was focusing on bending my knees and keeping them bent throughout the throw. I tried speeding up my last three and my knees straightened almost instantly and they didn’t go as far. So, knees bent and a little slower goes further than knees straight and faster. Must work on keeping my knees bent and get that to be automatic before I start adding speed to this throw.

Overall, good practice.

[quote]PixieThrower wrote:

Lots to think about and try to remember :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Hi PT,

Just stumbled into your log when checking the latest posts.

I like your step by step analysis of your events.

Maybe it would help to write your steps in a tiny book to review before training each event.

:slight_smile:

Iron Gumby: Yeah, that would definitely help. Part of the reason I’m writing it here is so that I can put it somewhere I can look back on to remind myself what I was doing. Of course, in order to have this stuff with me come competition time I will have to write it in a notebook of some sort. I’d rather wait until the week before to do that so I can compile all my revelations/observations/etc for each event in a more concise manner.

13/05/05

Morning circuit:
Glute bridges: Black band x25x3

Afternoon practice:
28# WFD (1 turn drill) x4
28# WFD (full throws) x5 best of 24’8"
14# WFD (full throws) x5 best of 52’3" (practice PR) woo
28# WOB x5
caber (12’ x45#) x5

WFD notes: Really getting used to the 28 and feeling more in control. Still have to work on casting the weight around, not out, and pivoting on my left forever before going into that first turn. Felt better in the transition. Started focusing on making sure my left foot was pivoting so my knee was facing towards the front of the trig, transferring my weight to it and using my left leg to drive to the trig.
**Things to work on: Pushing the weight to zero and then snapping it out on the release. Try to land with my legs a little more bent so I can get more pop out of my throw. Overall, very happy with this practice.

WOB: Still playing around with my technique here. I’m rushing it a bit and pulling the weight with my arm too soon. Have to work on this process:

• Push the weight back and reach back with it: legs should be mostly straight (little knee bend) and my upper body should be parallel to the ground.
  • Drop my hips while keeping my body parallel to the ground.
  • Chase the weight with my hips, keeping my arm close to my body (think triple extension from olympic lifts).
  • Snap the weight up to finish the throw.

Want 12’ this year and I will get it!

Caber: Well, shit. I need to learn how to run with my legs bent and slightly hunkered down. Second thing I need to work on is getting that instant hip pop and pull with my arms as soon as I plant my feet for the pull. Need to be able to turn that taper-less caber at will.

My knee is still holding up well. Using my voodoo bands on it before practice then icing the knee afterwards is helping. The rumble roller I’m using at home is a horrible torture tool that is helping clear up all the knots and general tightness in my quads, hamstrings and IT band. Just gotta keep up with this and my general rehab!

13/05/07

Afternoon Throwing:
Braemar stone x4
Open stone x6

Better pop. Still learning how to turn this into a linear drive instead of a rotation.

Workout:
KB swings: 65# x15x3 (two hand swings)
DLs: 45kg x5, 50x5, 55x5, 60x5, 65x5, 70x5, 72.5x5, 75x5, 67.5x5
DB Bench: 15#x10, 20x3, 20x3, 20x25
BSS: BW x10x3
Prowler: 70# x 80ft x 2

13/05/11

Afternoon workout:
KB swings: 70x10, x15, x10
OHP: 15kg x8, 20x8, 22.5x8, 25x8, 20x8
PP: 20kg x5, 22.5x5, 25x5, 27.5x5
BW Squats x10x4
Prowler: 50# x80ft, 70# x80ft

At that point my knee started to feel a little off so I stopped there. Went home and iced it then ran through my knee rehab again. Think I’m going to have to bulk up the rehab stuff a little bit as I push my knee a lot harder during throwing than I do while just working out.

[quote]PixieThrower wrote:
Iron Gumby: Yeah, that would definitely help. Part of the reason I’m writing it here is so that I can put it somewhere I can look back on to remind myself what I was doing. Of course, in order to have this stuff with me come competition time I will have to write it in a notebook of some sort. I’d rather wait until the week before to do that so I can compile all my revelations/observations/etc for each event in a more concise manner.

13/05/05

Morning circuit:
Glute bridges: Black band x25x3

Afternoon practice:
28# WFD (1 turn drill) x4
28# WFD (full throws) x5 best of 24’8"
14# WFD (full throws) x5 best of 52’3" (practice PR) woo
28# WOB x5
caber (12’ x45#) x5

WFD notes: Really getting used to the 28 and feeling more in control. Still have to work on casting the weight around, not out, and pivoting on my left forever before going into that first turn. Felt better in the transition. Started focusing on making sure my left foot was pivoting so my knee was facing towards the front of the trig, transferring my weight to it and using my left leg to drive to the trig.
**Things to work on: Pushing the weight to zero and then snapping it out on the release. Try to land with my legs a little more bent so I can get more pop out of my throw. Overall, very happy with this practice.

WOB: Still playing around with my technique here. I’m rushing it a bit and pulling the weight with my arm too soon. Have to work on this process:

• Push the weight back and reach back with it: legs should be mostly straight (little knee bend) and my upper body should be parallel to the ground.
  • Drop my hips while keeping my body parallel to the ground.
  • Chase the weight with my hips, keeping my arm close to my body (think triple extension from olympic lifts).
  • Snap the weight up to finish the throw.

Want 12’ this year and I will get it!

Caber: Well, shit. I need to learn how to run with my legs bent and slightly hunkered down. Second thing I need to work on is getting that instant hip pop and pull with my arms as soon as I plant my feet for the pull. Need to be able to turn that taper-less caber at will.

My knee is still holding up well. Using my voodoo bands on it before practice then icing the knee afterwards is helping. The rumble roller I’m using at home is a horrible torture tool that is helping clear up all the knots and general tightness in my quads, hamstrings and IT band. Just gotta keep up with this and my general rehab!
[/quote]

I love posts like this, lots of detail, worth having to read it thrice to try to picture what you are talking about. How is the knee treating you?

My knee has good days and bad days. It’s a lot better than it used to be because the number of good days is much higher than the number of bad days. As it stands, recovery time is a lot quicker and I trust my knee a lot more to handle the movement I put it through. I think part of the solution has been improving my technique and the other part is the constant rehab. I don’t talk about it any more but I’m still doing single leg squats, glute bridges, TKEs and quad stretching daily. The volume isn’t as intense.

I also picked up some voodoo bands and use a pair below and above my knee before I throw. It’s crazy how much better my knee feels after that. Oh, and a rumble roller. The travel roller I have just doesn’t cut it on working out the kinks in my glutes, IT bands and quads. The rumble roller is pure awesome torture and I feel so good after using it. While using it? I cry a little and really work to hold my weight off the thing :stuck_out_tongue:

13/05/12

Afternoon throwing:

28# WFD x 4 - best of 26’
Haven’t felt this good throwing the heavy weight for over 2 years. Really getting a better drive and feeling comfortable with it. I’m stoked to see what will happen as I keep working on my technique here.

14# WFD x 4 - best of 54’3" PR
I think the best thing I ever did was start taking more pulls with the heavy weight. It’s helped start clearing up my technique and it’s really crossing over well to the light weight. I still need to work on the final push down and follow through but I’m super happy with the way this thing is flying. The best part about not having to worry about my knee is I’m driving to the trig and finishing strong.

28# WOB x 3
Getting a good, long pull here. Still have to think about dropping my hips more. That’ll come.

12# Hammer x 5
These sucked today. Just didn’t feel natural. Off balance. Hit the ground on my third throw and it stuck in my head for the other two. I feel like my knees are staying bent and that’s a good sign. I need a lot more work on the finish for this event. Need more push down and a solid block on the left side. I also need to work on my orbit, flattening it out a bit so I don’t have to worry about it hitting the ground. That’s the bad part about being 5’4". Less room for error. It’ll come. Patience.

Pulled the pin there. Doesn’t seem like a lot on paper but it killed my energy. Still working on my throwing endurance and getting my body used to all the different forces/positions/etc. I get the worst knot behind my trap on my left side. I figure it’s from the compensation factor since everything I throw is done with my right hand. Overall, great day. Learned a lot and found out I have to focus on a direction for my hammer. I have to remember this is only my third full season in the sport and I have a lot of learning left to do!

Competition this weekend! I’m hoping to improve upon some of my numbers based on what I’ve seen in practice. If I hit my goals, great. If not, back to the drawing board.

Competition goals:
Open Stone: 25’+ (Not sure if I’m going to try the modified south african or a shuffle/glide.)
LWFD: 50’+ (Big goal here. I’ve been putting out great numbers in practice.)
LH: 66’+
WOB: 12’ (I really want to break this early!!)
Sheaf: 18’+ (Practice has been meh but we’ll see what I can do.)
Caber: Decisive turn. The ultimate goal is a 12:00.

Well, back from competition. The weather cooperated but my throwing equipment sure didn’t! Okay day of throwing for me, overall. A little disappointed in my numbers. We were using a modified decathlon scoring system where the women were based against the Canadian women’s throwing records and the men were based against the Canadian men’s throwing records so that we could compete against each other in a similar environment.

Each event would have the decathlon scoring applied to it and then ranks for that event would be given. Person with the highest score would be 1st and given 1 point. 2nd gets 2 points. Continues for all competitors. Name of the game is to have the lowest number of points at the end of the comp. Apples to apples? Not quite but close enough for the AD.

Here’s my numbers. Going by memory so they’re not absolutely correct, but very close.

Braemar: 16’ plus change with a 16# stone. It was ugly.

LH: My boot broke on me. Tried twice with one functioning hammer boot and when that didn’t go so well, took one with just cleats on for my best at a whopping 59’ plus change. Not my best.

OS: 21’ plus change with an 11# stone. Tried a shuffle and should have tried my last as a spin. Wasn’t getting any separation at all and definitely wasn’t staying low enough.

Caber: The only event that I truly rocked. Three solid turns with a best of 12:30. Have to work on some twisting issues I have when I go for the pull but overall, I’m very happy with this one. It was an 11’x45# caber. JJ needs to find something a little longer and the same weight for me next year. I made that thing look like a toy.

LWFD: I was expecting big things and got very disappointed on this one. The weight we used for the first two rounds was kinda crappy, so I asked the judge if I could bring out my pretty polanik. I had to throw the ring handle on (had been practicing with a D-handle but found out that it was half a pound light with that handle - have to fix this) so the weight would be 14#. Wasn’t used to the ring handle and it was a bit slippery. Ended up with a best of 48’9" or some such. So disappointing when I had been throwing 50’+ in practice. Could half a pound equate to that much distance? I doubt it.

WOB: Wasn’t finishing my pulls at all for the first few. Still thinking about the LWFD and wasn’t used to having to throw with an actual bar above my head. Took me three tries to get 10’ and another three to get 11’. Took pulls at 12’, the last was my best but my head wasn’t there and I was starting to get tired and bitchy.

Sheaf: Yet again, wasn’t finishing this thing at all. Very shaky. Ended up squeaking it over the bar at 16’ and I don’t think I got very close to 18’. I’m over thinking this one. Not feeling poppy at all. Doesn’t help that it was at the end of the day but still. I need to use my legs and I’m so paranoid of the bag hitting the ground that I barely drop my hips. Don’t know what to do about this one.

With the modified scoring, I won first place. Would have been nicer to win with a PR in hand but that doesn’t happen all the time so I’ll just have to get over it and start practicing for my next comp in GP.