Pitbull's Insulin Use

I started using insulin a couple months back and thought I should post a bit about my experience.

Started at 2iu PWO of NovoRapid and increased mky dosage by 1iu each subsequent workout until I was at a comfortable 10ius.

Kept my nutrition constant while increasing the amount of insulin until I felt mild hypogylcemia then modified my nutrition accordingly. This way I was able to calculate the amount of carbs necessary to avoid hypoglycemia.

I also experienced one ‘severe’ hypoglycemic attack 1hr 20min in around my 4th week. It is interesting to note that I was using 10ius for around 3-4 weeks before this happened. My diet was the constant for all of my workout days. The reading on my Accuchek showed 2.8ng/dl (normal range: 4-8).

A few factors that I see could have been involved in my hypo attack were:

-change in tempo, but the excercises remained constant (10X to 14X)
-finished my PWO meal 10min later than usual, and my 2nd shake 5min later than normal
-smoked some marijuana about an 1.5 hrs in

I quickly had some more simple carbs, and protein. Tested my blood level 15 min later (3.8) then 15min later (6.3).

This was a unexpected incident. I was sitting, conversing with a friend, looked at my watch and then felt an onset of low blood sugar levels. I went immediately into the kitchen, mixed a drink, then sat back down. Tested my blood 15min later, then had another, smaller shake, and a banana. The sides took about 30min to decline, and I didn’t feel to swell for the next few hours.

Since then I have not had any hypoglycemic attacks. That was a strange and unexpected occurence. I have been using it post cycle and have lost only 2.5lbs from my cycle. My body comp has changed slightly as I have increased the amount of carbs I am consuming.

Is insulin worth it? It’s really up to the individual. There are both positive and negative aspects with its use.

Interesting Post. I also had a similar experience but it was because I totally miss timed my 2nd post workout meal.

You said you started using about 2 months ago. Are you using 4 weeks on 4 weeks off? Be interested to know about your off protocol.

Smug

[quote]Smug wrote:
Interesting Post. I also had a similar experience but it was because I totally miss timed my 2nd post workout meal.

You said you started using about 2 months ago. Are you using 4 weeks on 4 weeks off? Be interested to know about your off protocol.

Smug[/quote]

On/Off Protocol…you’re supposed to come off?

There are many different theories, I do not think there is a definitive answer. 4 weeks on - 2 to 4 weeks off?
This must also depend on how often you are using your slin as well. I’m not certain, but the more often you use it (ex. 3 times daily) the shorter you want to be on.

I only use it PWO which was 3x a week. I was on for 6 weeks. I may start using it preworkout when I get back on it or halfway through, so my insulin levels will peak when there is more blood circulating to my muscle tissue. I may also use insulin while dieting to approach ketosis a bit faster.

Timing is important with insulin, which is one of the negative aspects of its use. I just wear my stopwatch and use the chrono feature. Another downside, is the amount of food I consume within a 2.5 hr period. I eat alot, but feel stuffed after I have a shake (15min), a meal (45min), a shake (1hr15min), a meal(2hr45min). I don’t look forward to my next meal as I am carb saturated.

[quote]thetruepitbull wrote:
Smug wrote:

Smug

On/Off Protocol…you’re supposed to come off?

There are many different theories, I do not think there is a definitive answer. 4 weeks on - 2 to 4 weeks off?
This must also depend on how often you are using your slin as well. I’m not certain, but the more often you use it (ex. 3 times daily) the shorter you want to be on.

I only use it PWO which was 3x a week. I was on for 6 weeks. I may start using it preworkout when I get back on it or halfway through, so my insulin levels will peak when there is more blood circulating to my muscle tissue. I may also use insulin while dieting to approach ketosis a bit faster.

Timing is important with insulin, which is one of the negative aspects of its use. I just wear my stopwatch and use the chrono feature. Another downside, is the amount of food I consume within a 2.5 hr period. I eat alot, but feel stuffed after I have a shake (15min), a meal (45min), a shake (1hr15min), a meal(2hr45min). I don’t look forward to my next meal as I am carb saturated.

[/quote]

I agree with the timing aspect. Most slin users I know take time off allowing natural production to occur and/or return. Some users I have spoken with had serious problems from not taking suffiecient breaks between use. Of course everyone is different but 8 weeks with a 5/2 regime seems pushing the envelope.

Just something to think about. Don’t want to become Insulin dependent.