Pistols with Weight

Is there any way of performing pistols with weight that doesn’t involve holding the weight out in front of you? i find i’m heavily limited by the weight i can add cause i simply can’t hold it out in front of me once it gets heavy.

maybe i’m just a wuss and need stronger shoulders but hopefully there is an alternative!

cheers

Hold it to your sides?

Weighted vest? Sort of inconvenient if you don’t already have one, but it’s about the only other way I see.

front squat rack on your shoulders if you’re using enough weight

I can’t give any suggestions other than commenting on the fact that you’re adding weight to these things… holy shit. Coming form a 300lb. dude, that’s freaking awesome.

Holding the weight out infront of you tends to make the exercise easier actualy (particulary if you go ATG). Have an experiment with different techniques such as:
dumbell “goblet” style
two dumbells brought up to rest on your shuolders (similar to a front squat)
barbell front squat
barbell zercher squat
hugging a plate close to chest (unless you are lifting larger weights in which case its just going to get in the way)
dumbells held to your side
weighted vest
ankle/wrist weights

Just some ideas =]

EDIT: Or if you are only using a partial ROM I guess you could try a hack squat style?

[quote]benmoore wrote:

EDIT: Or if you are only using a partial ROM I guess you could try a hack squat style?[/quote]

nah man i’m using a full ROM, can hit about 13/14 without weight with full ROM. I like the idea of “goblet style” might give that a go, i can see it being harder to keep my balance though as when you have your hands out in front it helps.

thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

I do elevated ATG free single leg squats (man that’s a lot of names). For anything up to 45lbs, holding plates to my chest works really well.

And holy shit try a single leg overhead squat (opposite side loaded).

[quote]
And holy shit try a single leg overhead squat (opposite side loaded).[/quote]

That was one of my initial thoughts but I didnt know if you would be able to load it enough.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:

And holy shit try a single leg overhead squat (opposite side loaded).[/quote]

that’s just plain silly, go to your room and think about what you just said young man.

haha, fair enough.

but yeah how much is “enough” for loading?

getting good at those will add a serious amount of stability to your spine.

disclaimer: Not dissing 2 leg heavily loaded squats as they are paramount for adding overall strength and size. single leg squats are supplemental anyway (in my opinion), so the lack of significant loading doesn’t concern me.