Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

I felt like a tard when "that guy " appeared in the end because my wife said she figured it was him earlier when they showed his boots. I’ll say it like everyone already has — too long. Still enjoyed it.

I personally liked the length, and didn’t realise how long it had gone on till I left the theatre. Still though, to have gone on that long and still not resolved the film is kind of lazy, or they’re just being dicks and promoting their next film. But unless the next movie comes out within a year, I can’t see anyone remembering the end of the movie anyways.

Good film though.

A ninja reviews Pirate Of The Carribean. It was good, but I share some of his sentiments.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
I personally liked the length, and didn’t realise how long it had gone on till I left the theatre. Still though, to have gone on that long and still not resolved the film is kind of lazy, or they’re just being dicks and promoting their next film. [/quote]

See that was the problem, not enough story for 2 and a half hours of movie. If they had just cut it to less than 2 hours it would have been fine. I half felt like a good portion of the action scenes were done just to sit up new rides at Disneyland or a “Pirates” game.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
I personally liked the length, and didn’t realise how long it had gone on till I left the theatre. Still though, to have gone on that long and still not resolved the film is kind of lazy, or they’re just being dicks and promoting their next film. But unless the next movie comes out within a year, I can’t see anyone remembering the end of the movie anyways.

Good film though.[/quote]

Can you say The Matrix?

I imagine everyone and their mom has heard by now about the records, but for those who haven’t, DMC shattered the 3-day box office opening previously held by Spider-Man ($132M), and the opening day record held by Episode III ($55.5M).

Just throwin’ that out there for people who care about that kind of stuff…

[quote]CC wrote:
I imagine everyone and their mom has heard by now about the records, but for those who haven’t, DMC shattered the 3-day box office opening previously held by Spider-Man ($132M), and the opening day record held by Episode III ($55.5M).

Just throwin’ that out there for people who care about that kind of stuff…[/quote]

I think Depp is one of the better actors around currently. I’ve been a fan since 21 Jumpstreet. He does characters that many actors would probably have turned away from due to “image”. How many people could actually pull off Edward Scissorhands without looking like a complete tool and ruining their careers?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
CC wrote:

Just throwin’ that out there for people who care about that kind of stuff…

I think Depp is one of the better actors around currently. I’ve been a fan since 21 Jumpstreet. He does characters that many actors would probably have turned away from due to “image”. How many people could actually pull off Edward Scissorhands without looking like a complete tool and ruining their careers?[/quote]

Agreed. Something else I’ve noticed is that most of Depp’s movies have a very dark quality to them. Even in PotC Sparrow keeps you guessing all the time at what kind of a man he really is, if he has any morals or not.

He seems to really enjoy the challenge of taking on flawed characters, and an actor who can do that over and over again and make it work is about as good as they come.

Something else I found interesting about these movies: this is the first time Johnny Depp has ever signed on for a sequel. He’s notorious for not wanting to do sequels. He’s even said he’s up for doing more of them, apparently.

I just hope Disney doesn’t start pumping out garbage just for the money. I have a feeling, however, that as long as Gore stays at the helm, things will be fine. I can’t imagine Depp would agree to do it otherwise (then Disney will probably find a way to kill off his character, though…).

Ok…

I can’t remember a better, more abrupt, or cooler ending to any film than the first Pirates movie.

“Yo ho…” End scene, roll credits. Fantastic in my opinion.

So obviously the ending of Dead Man’s Chest was a little dissapointing.

However, I had a whole lot of fun at this movie. I laughed at Depp’s goofy ass the whole way through. Dude steals the screen from everybody. Like when he first saw Kiera Knightly’s character trying to come aboard the Pearl, he looks to his first mate bright eyed and distressed and mumbles “hide the rum…!”

They are doing a good job with this franchise. I saw the 9:45AM showing of this movie on Sunday and thought it was a safe bet for getting a good seat and not dealing with a ton of people. I was wrong, the theater was PACKED. Kids loved it, adults loved it, it’s just a terrific film for everybody.

I can wait for the third one, though. I’d like to see a Christmas '07 release because that’s when I go to the theater the most, during the Holidays.

Who here can remember a better stretch of Holiday movies other than when Harry Potter and the LOTR trilogy’s were playing?

B.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I can wait for the third one, though. I’d like to see a Christmas '07 release because that’s when I go to the theater the most, during the Holidays.

B. [/quote]

That was the originally slated release date, back when they tried to film the second and third films back-to-back. Hurricanes and other problems prevented them from finishing, however, and apparently they don’t even have half of the second film finished yet. I read about it in this week’s Entertainment Weekly, with Depp, Bloom, and Knightley on the cover.

So it looks like we’re looking at a summer '07 release. Personally, I like that better. These movies are just meant to be seen in the summer, IMPO. Kind of goes with the whole “feel” of the film. But hey, that’s just me.

I went to watch the movie with one of my good buds and we LOVED every moment of that movie. It was hilarious, visually pleasing, innovative action scenes, the plot was great. Keira Knightley was absolutely smoking beautiful.

Pirates 2 was better than the first.

I thought it blew. The “evil fish” pirates were just dumb looking. I couldn’t get into it enough and was never able to really suspend my disbelief.

The problem was in the story, not in anything else really. If I knew that the plot would suck, I would have enjoyed the movie for what it was. The fact is, there was too much plot for the plot and ending to suck ass as badly as it did.

But hey, there was sweet pirate action that was damn cool