T Nation

Piracy Worse Than Bank Robbery

That’s how stupid the debate became!

[i]"NBC/Universal general counsel Rick Cotton suggests that society wastes entirely too much money policing crimes like burglary, fraud, and bank-robbing, when it should be doing something about piracy instead.

“Our law enforcement resources are seriously misaligned,” Cotton said. “If you add up all the various kinds of property crimes in this country, everything from theft, to fraud, to burglary, bank-robbing, all of it, it costs the country $16 billion a year. But intellectual property crime runs to hundreds of billions [of dollars] a year.”"[/i]

Anyone here actually uses P2P to sample new albums and only buys the ones they like? I sure do.

The question I’m asking is this: Do people prefer to pirate because music/movies/etc are so mediocre nowadays? In which case, isn’t free market supposed to fix the issue? Or do you think teenagers downloading the latest Pirates of Carribean should be jailed? Thoughts?

The latest Pirates of the Carribean blowed. I think I should be paid for sitting through pieces of shit like that.

So to answer your question: no

I spend the same amount on music and movies that I always have. If I couldn’t supplement with pirated stuff I would just go without (or watch more HBO/listen to more radio) rather than spend anymore money on this stuff.

I think most people are like me in this regard. These comparisons thrown around by media execs are somewhere between hyperbole and outright deception. The only harm that can be demonstrated in case of piracy of a product that wouldn’t have otherwise been purchased is a possible loss value derived from exclusivity-- think knockoff designer handbags. This doesn’t apply in music and movies while countervailing forces-- like “try it before you buy it”-- have a substantial effect.

Rick is a hero. If Rick should get robbed, he wouldn’t press charges. He wouldn’t want the police to waste time on this trivial case.

Where does he live anyway?

Worse than a bank robber: Indonesian pirate

[quote]Wreckless wrote:

Where does he live anyway?[/quote]

Maybe somewhere near the Riau archipelago between Sumatra and Singapore. More pirates there per square nautical mile than all the bank robbers, pickpockets, car thieves, and shoplifters put together.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Rick is a hero. If Rick should get robbed, he wouldn’t press charges. He wouldn’t want the police to waste time on this trivial case.

Where does he live anyway?[/quote]

I’m guessing a gated community with electrified fences and armed security staff.

“Codswollop, matey. I be loads better’n a scurvy bank robber. HAAAARRRRRRR!!!”

[quote]lixy wrote:
Wreckless wrote:

Where does he live anyway?

I’m guessing a gated community with electrified fences and armed security staff.[/quote]

Hey, if the green zone isn’t safe, his castle isn’t safe.

Someone should reach out and touch Rick.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
The latest Pirates of the Carribean blowed. I think I should be paid for sitting through pieces of shit like that.

So to answer your question: no[/quote]

LOL.

That’s one movie I would never pay for. Its off P2P for me! If I can’t get it for free, I’d rather not watch it at all.

And yeah, I spend money on movies anyway. No lost revenue for the movie studios. Greedy bastards.