T Nation

Piracetam Experiences?

Does anybody take it as a general supplement for clearer mind and better intellectual functioning. I recently read about benefits of it and it seems that they come with very few side-effects, if any. Any experiences?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Currently using, and very pleased with, a custom stack made from bulk components (apologies to those who would push Spike - Biotest not readily available and very expensive here).

Alcar - 2.5g
Chocamine - 1.5g
L-Tyrosine - 1g
NAC - 500mg
Ginkgo - 240mg
Taurine - 2.5g

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Didn’t like it when I ran it. A shit tasting, syrupy drink that was low-dosed and so required a lot of volume to be consumed, put me off for life.

I did some reading and discovered that the 3rd generation racetam - Oxiracetam - is more effective, so I bought some.

The recommended dose of 800mg is too high for me (caused tired, irritated eyes, and a thumping heart ), but 400-600 mg dissolved in a sugary drink, with a little glutamine and creatine (both alleged to have mild nootropic effects), was VERY effective as a learning tool.

I have to sip the drink over the course of a 4 - 6 hour study period, including lectures and library time. This seems to provide optimum results.

Soooo, you wanted to know about piracetam… and I’m dribbling, sorry.

There is a great article on oxi on pubmed, that shows that a single 800mg dose of oxiracetam, coupled with a ‘learning event’, showed improved retention and recall of that learning event, up to 4 months after the event took place. Nice.

Bushy[/quote]

Can you go into further detail on how you feel it working? I’ve tried piracitam and aniracitam and they made me foggier if anything whereas I’ve had great experiences with some stimulants/pseudo-stimulants. I’m always looking for that little extra mental edge.

Interesting. What you describe sounds similar to the effects I get from ritalin. Have you tried the oxi with modafinil (since you’re a fan of that as I recall) or anything similar?

Yeah, vinpo, Spike and moda is my daily term-time regimen of brain-boosting drugs.

I take the oxi on top, if I have a particularly demanding lecture coming up, like meurophysiology for example. I will capitalise on the fact that I ahve taken the oxi, by hitting the library and revising some of the more tricky subjects as well.

The thing about ritalin (from what I understand, I’ve never taken it) is that because it’s a strong stim, there is an associated ‘crash’ later on in the day.

Is this the case for you?

Bushy[/quote]

Whats the dosage for vinpocetine, and how do you usually use that?

The thing about ritalin (from what I understand, I’ve never taken it) is that because it’s a strong stim, there is an associated ‘crash’ later on in the day.

Is this the case for you?

Bushy[/quote]

This is the reason why I’ve mostly switched to other stuff and continue to search for more options. The ritalin is hard to beat when it’s “on” but it has to be topped up every few hours to keep productivity high or else the crash sets in. Also I’m out of action for the last four-plus hours of the day between the time the crash sets in and when I’m able get to sleep. It definitely has its uses, but I can’t do it every day.

I think I’ll give the racetams a second chance on your recommendation. I may have underdosed last time around. I’ll also give the vinpocetine another shot since I believe I was below what I’ve seen here for dosages on that as well.

Thanks for the info, btw. I always find this stuff to be fascinating.

No worries. Have you tried modafinil yet? It just gives me energy and focus when I need it, with no crash later on.

It will keep you awake if you take it any later than about 9am though.

Bushy[/quote]

I love modafinil for certain purposes- ok, I love modafinil in general- but I need something a little more potent for general use. For me it makes a good add-on for other stuff and it’s the best option when sleep deprivation is an issue since conventional stimulants while tired don’t feel to great. At times I think it would be great if it were OTC, but then the playing field would be level.

modafinil works great for me. It didn’t really keep me up, it let me take naps when I wanted to during finals week. Which is what is described for the drug also. The makers of provigil say it facilitates wakefulness not induce it

I got a trial of it from provigil since other sources I found for it were not from stringent facilities.

I haven’t found a place to order any more modafinil for a good price that comes from a reputable company.

Where do you get yours from etaco and how much?

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:
modafinil works great for me. It didn’t really keep me up, it let me take naps when I wanted to during finals week. Which is what is described for the drug also. The makers of provigil say it facilitates wakefulness not induce it

I got a trial of it from provigil since other sources I found for it were not from stringent facilities.

I haven’t found a place to order any more modafinil for a good price that comes from a reputable company.

Where do you get yours from etaco and how much?[/quote]

I went the powder route since I didn’t think customs would know modafinil from a ham and cheese- and they proved me right. From what I’ve heard though, my source may no longer exist.

Bushy, what ever happened with that whole “angry fire” thing and the powder sources?

How do you guys think the vinpo would work as a pregame or pre-event supplement for increasing focus and possibly reaction time? This stuff sounds very interesting, I found a bottle of 90 5mg tabs or capsules for $7.95. I ordered two to experiment with it, but would love to hear some feedback from experienced users.

[quote]piper1 wrote:
How do you guys think the vinpo would work as a pregame or pre-event supplement for increasing focus and possibly reaction time? This stuff sounds very interesting, I found a bottle of 90 5mg tabs or capsules for $7.95. I ordered two to experiment with it, but would love to hear some feedback from experienced users.[/quote]

It could possibly if stacked with Spike or another neural supplement since it vasodialates the blood vessels in the brain.

Bushy, etaco, thanks for detailed info. I’ll try some and see what it does to me.

Man! Thanks for the tip on the powdered Modafinil! What a great idea!

I’ve been flirting with trying this for awhile. Based on what I’ve found online, powdered form seems a lot more reasonably priced than pills or even bugging my doc for a prescription!