Pinning Quads vs Glutes

I’m in wk 8 of 1st Test cycle. (500mg/wk Test C - .25mg Adex E3D) Making good gains and mostly smooth sailing so far. Background info at link below.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/Teufel0317#myForums/thread/5834394/

Only side I’m dealing with is a little acne on chest lately, but nothing I can’t fight through for a few more weeks.
My question is about pinning in quads. I had only injected in glutes til a week ago. I thought I’d mix it up and try quads, as they’re easier to access. I pinned in the outer, most meaty part of my quad and that went fine. I had just a little PIP an hour later. But the next morning my knee was hurt like fuck! It felt like an outer ligament was torn. I could hardly bend my knee for 2 days. Needless to say I’m back to glutes.

Anybody have a similar experience or insight? Did I hit a nerve or vein?

Did you pin on the upper outer part? What size needle?

Never had that happen but have heard about it

Some people can’t do quads I find them to be the easiest and pretty painless even with 3mls in there.

Yes it was upper outer part of quad. I used 25 ga needle to make new injection site easy as possible. Typically use 23 ga in glutes

Hate threads like this at the minute as I am about to pin for first time in quad with 25 g needle in 10 days :S

[quote]Sam_Boy wrote:
Hate threads like this at the minute as I am about to pin for first time in quad with 25 g needle in 10 days :S [/quote]

Well don’t let my experience discourage you. It must be pretty rare. It’ll probably be in your mind before that first jab anyway. Hehe
Good lick

Quads were my first injection site ever, and have easily been the easiest and most care-free for me. I’ve never had anything like this before at all. I typically use a 25g, 1" for them. That doesn’t seem like enough oil to really make a larger muscle group that sore. I’d give 'em both at least a little patience and if it doesn’t get any better, go ahead and abandon them. No reason in not having more go-to-spots to avoid excess scar tissue, IMO.

Usually quads are fine for me but I use insulin pins for everything buy gluten every once in a while I seem to pin to shallow. No pain like you described though, sorry. Keep us updated to make sure it doesn’t turn weird colors.

Get some insulin pins though and throw in delts. Favorite spot. That and pecs.

I use 29g insulin pins for quads and delts. Takes forever to load them, but it is much less painful.

I’m not giving up on quad injection just yet. As SSC said, I want to have more than one go-to spot.
The crazy thing is, there was no soreness in the muscle tissue. It was in the connective tissue at the knee. Anyway, no wierd colors or bruising and I was good to go after a couple days.
I have no problems with 25g pins but might try insulin pins at some point. I’ll try quad again for my next pin and update.
Thanks for the input.

[quote]Sam_Boy wrote:
Hate threads like this at the minute as I am about to pin for first time in quad with 25 g needle in 10 days :S [/quote]

Quads are honestly not that bad SamBoy I pin my Quads very often. 2-3ml for my upper and outer Quad and .5-1ml on the smaller muscle on the inside that runs into my knee (the name has escaped me) just fine. Mind you I use no larger than a 27g. But they are relatively pain free.

[quote]Teufel0317 wrote:
I’m not giving up on quad injection just yet. As SSC said, I want to have more than one go-to spot.
The crazy thing is, there was no soreness in the muscle tissue. It was in the connective tissue at the knee. Anyway, no wierd colors or bruising and I was good to go after a couple days.
I have no problems with 25g pins but might try insulin pins at some point. I’ll try quad again for my next pin and update.
Thanks for the input.[/quote]

I dont know what or how much your running or how confident you are pinning your self but you may wanna look into Delts and Traps as well to of the easiest to pin and absolutely pain free for me.

I use mainly glutes and ventro for bigger injections (my GF helps me for left glute - damn I don’t think I could do it myself like before).

I only use quads for small shots, as if I use 1cc or more, many times the injection itself using 25G one inch needles ain’t fun, and sometimes I have some discomfort for a few days. I now use quads for 0.5 cc or lower, using 27G half-inch needle. I have thought, though not done it yet, of sometimes using 2cc with a 27G needle, but using 2 parts of each quad (4 injections of 0,5cc).

It’s weird, really. Some people prefer quads over all other injection sites, and some people hate it.

Ye it does seem people either love or hate quads doesn’t it. I’m about to start first pinning cycle 22nd December and plan to pin quad first but I’m going to experiment quite a bit with different sites.

My pins are going to be 2.5ml so have gone with 3ml syringes and 25G pins so the plan is to do the first two in my quads and use this to show my girlfriend in case I need her to do some other sites later as I would like to try quite a few if I can. I’ve ordered some 1ml syringes with 29G pins too so I can experiment with some smaller muscle groups so may write a thread about the different ones after and how they felt first time.

I also got some 20G to load the syringes with but 27s they only 5/8 inch at my supplier so I went with 25s because they did 1 inch and I wanted to make sure it was long enough to keep 2.5ml in there.

@OP I’m glad your soreness died down, don’t want to panic you but based on what you described in the connective tissue if that continues and suddenly gets worse I know someone who had a tattoo on their leg (away from knee) and got the same after which turned out to be cellulitis which was easily treated but they caught it early. Just heads up you will know if this is it because a few days after soreness they couldn’t bend their knee.

Just did final pin today of short cycle, pinning ED. I tried VMO (teardrop muscle above inside of knee) at the beginning, it was horrible. Slight swelling, pretty decent inflammation and pain for several days. Almost two weeks later now, if I squat down on the balls of my feet the left VMO still feels like its completely locked up. No issues lifting from it, just that position for some reason.

I think the stuff I am using is kind of harsh, because I had decent PIP lasting 2-3 days minimum in each injection site. Had planned on using more sites than I did and staying away from glutes, but after the first couple painful days I changed that plan. Ended up rotating between delts (bearable as long as it’s not the day of/day before front squats but doesn’t interfere with doing shoulders), lats (again, as long as not on rowing or pullup days - and now squat days as I pinned them last Tuesday and had a tight cramping, burning sensation during every set), and either glute. Staying away from quads, as those were bullshit.

Just for info, I use insulin pins for lats and delts and 22ga 1" pins for each glute.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
Just did final pin today of short cycle, pinning ED. I tried VMO (teardrop muscle above inside of knee) at the beginning, it was horrible. Slight swelling, pretty decent inflammation and pain for several days.[/quote]

Why did you choose this location, specifically? Out of curiosity.

I’ve contemplated venturing down the quads a bit but the “standard” location seems to be the upper/outer meaty part of the vastus lateralis. Not sure why you’d start in such a nerve-ridden area (IMO.)

Pin quads, delts, traps, pecs, bis easily with 29’s or 27s Here is the easy way to load the pin… Fuck all that backloading science this actually works ez.

1)Take your test vial with stopper down insert slin pin draw back to 1cc or what you need. Hold it untill vacum stops pulling blunger in.
2) Tape the vial with pin in it to a hairspray can or something with vial driping into pin.
3) stick the can & all in med cabinet or somewhere safe let gravity do its thing wait 30min
4) Pin pain free :slight_smile:

broscience

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
Pin quads, delts, traps, pecs, bis easily with 29’s or 27s Here is the easy way to load the pin… Fuck all that backloading science this actually works ez.

1)Take your test vial with stopper down insert slin pin draw back to 1cc or what you need. Hold it untill vacum stops pulling blunger in.
2) Tape the vial with pin in it to a hairspray can or something with vial driping into pin.
3) stick the can & all in med cabinet or somewhere safe let gravity do its thing wait 30min
4) Pin pain free :slight_smile:

broscience

[/quote]

I do the same, set it upside down, go about what I’m doing come back 20min later, and then your ready

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]boatguy wrote:
Just did final pin today of short cycle, pinning ED. I tried VMO (teardrop muscle above inside of knee) at the beginning, it was horrible. Slight swelling, pretty decent inflammation and pain for several days.[/quote]

Why did you choose this location, specifically? Out of curiosity.

I’ve contemplated venturing down the quads a bit but the “standard” location seems to be the upper/outer meaty part of the vastus lateralis. Not sure why you’d start in such a nerve-ridden area (IMO.)[/quote]

I shoot this same location quite often about once a week main reason. Was I had ventured of into pinning some items daily and wanted to minimize sight cross over. Its honestly a very easy place to pin but, I HIGHLY recommend you pin something you know for a fact is pretty smooth with little PIP and no more than .5ml for the first few weeks. I have gradually worked it up over time to pretty comfortably handling 1ml in that area.

I really appreciate all the input. Great discussion.
Just an update… I pinned again Saturday in other quad (25g pin). No crazy knee pain this time, so whatever happened the first time must have just been a fluke. However, the muscle is still pretty sore. At least this is a normal soreness. Gonna just stick with glutes for remainder of cycle.

I AM going to experiment with slin pins in quads and delts when I go back to lower TRT dose. @thehebrewhero thanks for the tip on drawing. Thats quality #broscience. They say necessity is the mother of innovation.

SSC- I chose the VMO because I was looking for some localized growth. My plan (before actually pinning) was to rotate through lats, delts, VMO, bis, tris, and upper pec for that very reason. After the first two injections (delts 0.5ml each side via slin pin, then VMO same way), that plan went out the window. Delts and lats were bearable, so I ended up rotating between those and each glute.