T Nation

Pinched nerve

Have any of you experienced a pain in the neck area followed by pain running down the right arm and making the index and middle fingers of the hand numb with pins and needles? I really don’t know how I did it, but I lost my pressing power. I’ve been seeing a chiropracter for 5 adjustments, but it is not getting better. Any suggestions? I am taking some time off from the gym to try and heal. This is driving me nuts!

One of my online clients had a similar problem and we determined that it was a problem with the AC joint. He took some time off and then we slowly started to rehabilitate the area. I am happy to say that he is now on his way to benching more than ever before!

Hi,
Believe it or not, the chiropractor may in fact be worsening your condition! Let me guess, when you go into your office, he does a twisting motion that “cracks” your neck. Guess what, medical journals have reported and documented that this manipulation may cause anything from simply a stiff neck to a deadly stroke, or something in between, like NERVE DAMAGE.
Try going to a registered physical therapist!

peace

Hi Tony, Forgive me for being stupid, but what is the ac joint?

I’ve had similar problems which, in recent months, have gotten only worse. I’ve seen a chiropractor monthly for over 8 years, and generally that was enough to keep me “tuned up.” When the problem worsened, the chiro recommended an MRI, which revealed a disk herniation and bone spurs along two of the vertebrae. That’s important to know, since the bone spurs in particular require very different rehab regimens.

BTW, "Using No Way...," I'd be interested in reading some of those studies, as I'm skeptical that a treatment--which has helped me for 8 years--is reportedly worthless and/or dangerous. And if indeed Gary's problem is bone spurs, no amount of soft tissue manipulation is going to make the calcium spurs disappear.

The AC joint is the acromioclavicular joint. It’s the joint where the collarbone meets the shoulder blade. You may have torn the cartilage in the joint causing bone to rub on bone. This is what may be causing the numbness in your hand. This injury is not to be treated lightly, especially training after your recovery. I’d certainly be willing to help you, but just realize I do charge for this type of thing. If you’re interested then let me know how I can contact you.

Dont waste time in the chiropractor now. Goto your Doctor and hopefully, he will recommend an MRI. How long have you had the pain? If its been over 1 month and you are losing strengh, it sounds like a herniated disc. Goto the Dr. pronto and get it checked out.