Pinched Nerve or Something Serious?

Last Friday I was doing heavy shrugs, 3x3. On my second set, third rep I shrugged up and may have used a little bit of biceps on my left arm to cheat it up (the form on the other set was strict). I had a mixed grip, so my left arm was supinated (palm-forward).

I felt something click and shift twice in my forearm region, near the front side of the elbow (the same side where your palm is). I I immediately stopped my workout altogether, and have been mega-dosing fish oil (4-6 grams of EPA+DHA a day) and taking tylenol to prevent swelling.

There’s a little red splotch where I felt this occur, and mostly, it hurts when I do any sort of flexion in this area. The pain spreads over to my hand when I do flexion with my palm facing down, which prompted me to think it may be a pinched nerve. However, the splotch worries me, as does the fact that this still hurts after friggin 5 days! I was able to get into an ortho’s office two weeks from now, just so in the event this gets better I can cancel it (besides, she was booked until then and I’m leaving on vacation on this Friday).

Any tips or similar stories? I also tried LIGHT (5-10 lb.s) curls today, and shrugs. No dice. The curls were alrite, but still stung a little.

before i ask you some questions im just letting you know that i’m only a doctoral student of physical therapy so you should definitely see a Physician when you can. Could you please tell me exactly where the red spot is and where in your hand do you feel tingling and with what exact motion. I need to know specifically where in your hand so, for example your pinky, or thumb and first 2 fingers, something like that.

Also, was there any swelling anywhere and do you notice a general weakness anywhere in your elbow, wrist or hand with elbow flexion/extension, wrist flexion/extension, or any hand movements. The more info you give me the better I could help.

MRI

[quote]DaBeard wrote:
Thanks for offering help. I’m a PT student as well, over at SLU. What year were you, and where were you at school, if you don’t mind me asking? But I digress.

The little red splotch would be above, I think the coronoid process (whichever one was Superficial to the Trochlear notch). If you had your arm in the basic anatomical position, turned face up, it’s in the crack of your elbow, on the front side (make sense?). I’m pretty sure near the insertion of the biceps tendons, right around where your biceps end.

If a curl my arm up, the pain radiates up along the lateral side of my forearm, almost along the extensor carpi radialis longus or my extensor digitorum. I can namely feel this when I flex my arm, with my palm turned downward (like a reverse cable curl).

As far as swelling goes, I have not noticed anything excessive of the sort. The weakness is localized to the spot I described.

before i ask you some questions im just letting you know that i’m only a doctoral student of physical therapy so you should definitely see a Physician when you can. Could you please tell me exactly where the red spot is and where in your hand do you feel tingling and with what exact motion. I need to know specifically where in your hand so, for example your pinky, or thumb and first 2 fingers, something like that.

Also, was there any swelling anywhere and do you notice a general weakness anywhere in your elbow, wrist or hand with elbow flexion/extension, wrist flexion/extension, or any hand movements. The more info you give me the better I could help.[/quote]

Hopefully, it won’t come to that

[quote]derek wrote:
MRI[/quote]