Pilates/Yoga Too Non T?

Hey guys-

I dislike stretching and even though I read the latest stretching articles, know it will be tough to add the stretches to my pretty full routine without someone pushing me…

Do any T-men attend yoga or pilates classes for increasing flexibility, or is the thought of it just so horrifying that you would rather do 25 rep squats followed by 400m sprints?

I will probably start going to a yoga class on off-days to help work on my flexibility. And I could care care less what anyone thinks about it.

[quote]usdsig wrote:
Hey guys-

Do any T-men attend yoga or pilates classes for increasing flexibility, or is the thought of it just so horrifying that you would rather do 25 rep squats followed by 400m sprints?[/quote]

On occasion I’ll focus on stretching by going through a standard warmup we did in my ground-fighting class or run through a power yoga DVD my wife uses…but I don’t take a formal yoga class. I’m not a big fan of the whole Pilates thing, personally.

I don’t care what the other posters say, power yoga can be a fairly tough workout if you push yourself and you aren’t a 120lb man soaking wet.

Yoga can be great for relaxation too. Its not non T at all, unless you begin replacing important workouts with it & go vegan (consuming mostly soy protien yum) on us.

usdsig…

I would choose a gentle, relaxing yoga class/video over a power yoga class or Pilates if improved flexibility is your main focus. My experience with doing Pilates or power yoga classes in conjunction with traditional strength training is reduced output in the weight room.

If your core musculature is fatigued from doing 100s or a particularly strenuous progression of poses it can seriously affect core stabilization in things like squats and deadlifts. You’re better off taking a gentle yoga class if you don’t want to adapt your weightlifting routines to accompany extra fatigue from Pilates or power yoga. Or, have a trainer or massuese do some P.N.F. stretching with you. Just one session of that can really limber you up.

[quote]Norweige wrote:
usdsig…

I would choose a gentle, relaxing yoga class/video over a power yoga class or Pilates if improved flexibility is your main focus. My experience with doing Pilates or power yoga classes in conjunction with traditional strength training is reduced output in the weight room.
[/quote]

I was thinking of taking up a yoga/pilates video for stretching/relaxation but there are too damn many to choose from. Does anyone have any suggestions on specific dvds (I suppose I would want something geared more to begginers)?

Thanks guys… I will try the yoga so it doesn’t interfere with lifting…

I will just be sure not to wear spandex and a headband :slight_smile:

[quote]usdsig wrote:
Hey guys-

I dislike stretching and even though I read the latest stretching articles, know it will be tough to add the stretches to my pretty full routine without someone pushing me…

Do any T-men attend yoga or pilates classes for increasing flexibility, or is the thought of it just so horrifying that you would rather do 25 rep squats followed by 400m sprints?[/quote]

usdsig, everyone who works out should stretch but probably not emphasised enough in T-Nation. Otherwise you wouldn’t see Mike Robertson writing articles about it.

Focus on the purpose, my friend: if stretching helps you recover faster and hence allows you to train more frequently (than those who do not stretch), who gives a damn what others think?

And yoga is not non T. Think about Steve Maxwell / Royce Garcie etc. doing splits and mobility drills in their BJJ gi. Their stretching routines are adopted from yoga.

I practice Karate and stretch everytime after training. Never felt anything wrong with that.

Just my $0.02.

Geek boy

If you do take a Yoga or Pilates class be prepared to get you ass kicked. I considered myself to be flexible, and have strong core muscles, but after one Pilates class I was about to cry. Start with the geriatric classes, then at least you wont have to worry about making an ass out of yourself if front of the ladies.

[quote]usdsig wrote:
Hey guys-

Yoga and pilates are gay. I would rather cut off my penis and become a lesbian than do either of them. They aren’t non-T, they are anti-T.

I plan on doing some yoga next season for flexiblity. Not only is that important for sports, but lots of ladies prefer more flexible men (or atleast not extremely unflexible like I am beginning to become). Ladies are good for the T in my eyes.

Here’s the first link from a google search for “nfl players yoga”

Plus, I’ve got to think that being in a class with yoga hotties has got to raise your T levels a bit.

[quote]Massif wrote:
usdsig wrote:
Hey guys-

Do any T-men attend yoga or pilates classes for increasing flexibility, or is the thought of it just so horrifying that you would rather do 25 rep squats followed by 400m sprints?

Yoga and pilates are gay. I would rather cut off my penis and become a lesbian than do either of them. They aren’t non-T, they are anti-T.[/quote]

You’re kidding, right?

I’ve taken a few of my wife’s yoga classes and even had the pleasure of participating with a first-string professional NFL linebacker and his personal trainer in my wife’s class. However, I have a window of time to train, and yoga doesn’t fit in my window. I think someone said it best, earlier in the thread, that there is nothing wrong with it as long as you’re not replacing important workouts with it. That is, if your goals are to build muscle and lose fat. One caveat to that is if you are in an injured state and need recovery. Yoga is great for rehab and maintaining flexibility and strength. There are a lot of bodyweight static movements that require a great deal of strength; example:
http://www.sivananda.org/teachings/asana/peacock.html

At any rate, I don’t think yoga is “non-T” or “anti-T”. Pilates ~ I just think that it’s counter productive to the iron game. It’s pointless if you’re a weight lifter.

[quote]Massif wrote:

Yoga and pilates are gay. I would rather cut off my penis and become a lesbian than do either of them. They aren’t non-T, they are anti-T.[/quote]

IMHO, everything can be done in a gay manner - even lifting heavy stuff and eating dead animals.

Besides, if you currently are doing some sort of stretching program, there is a good chance that you have already performed a yoga based movement or stretch. I guess that would mean… uh… not that there is anything wrong with that… :wink:

I stretch and roll on a foam roller every single night while I watch TV. Stretching is paramount for lifters, especially as you age. For me it has become a habit that I don’t even have to think about anymore, I just do it.

If The Renegade himself is promoting Yoga, then it can’t be “gay”.

http://www.renegadetraining.com/pink.html

Yoga involves breathing too, so if you’re breathing properly, then I guess you might be gay… OH NO! What will I tell my wife? I breathe, so am I gay? Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Is this gay or T-man??
How many of you can do this stuff??
And read how they transition between these postures, it is 10x more impressive than the pictures let on. If you have
ever seen and very experienced practitioner, it looks like magic, UBELEIVABLE core strength:

http://www.absolutelyashtanga.com/yoga_5.html

Will you look and feel a little silly doing it? Most likely. Will you feel beat afterwards and see results? Most likely.
My wife made me do a tape with her, and now we do it once or twice a week. I feel more flexible, it aids recovery and I feel it eases low back pain.
Why not? I do recommend getting a video and trying it in a private place first before you even consider a studio or class.

I recall Waterbury writing in response to a similar question that yoga would be a beneficial addition to his programs.

Try doing coach John Davies stretching routine in T-Nation article superman injury proof yourself, sorry cant remember the title.
Or Try some Ashtanga yoga.
Fluffy