T Nation

Pilates for a T-Man?

I work at a personal training facility that offers many things, one in particular, Pilates.
I have been wanting to give a try for a while to see what it was all about. I tried it for the first time today and let me tell you it was amazing! Not only did I get a great stretch, but all my stabilizer muscles in my body got a workout. It required so much balance and breathing and I felt great after. I’m considering getting certified with this to do something totally different than PT. I truly believe that if one can afford it, learning this style of training can benefit a T-Man with his training. What do you guys think?

There is a lot of money out there for people who can teach Pilates. My boss starting doing the mat classes about 6 months ago, and later began to do individual sessions on a Cadiallic/Reformer machine. People love it, and, just as importantly, RICH people love it! It’s really picked up in popularity among the soccer mom type people who are looking for a change of pace from the typical circuit training and aerobic work. I’m pretty dead set on mass gain, so it isn’t an integral part of my training. However, it does have many obvious benefits in terms of core strength and stabilizer muscles that would be of interest to a lot of bodybuilders and powerlifters. All the stretches and deep breathing are good for relaxation, too.

I agree Pilates has a lot of benifits to it… all men should do it not only women. Plus its a great place to meet women… But don’t negleget the weights also use it as a supplment workout.

the fact that soccer moms are into it is a good marker that it is overhyped and largely successful due to marketing. hmmm teach it maybe because there probably is a lot of money to be made, but if you’re already healthy, working your stablizers on the pilates really doesnt due jack shit for you. If you want stability try overhead squatting. It may be effective for stretching but undoubtably there are other ways to stretch as effectively.