Piercings & Tattoos

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I will stay free of ink and piercings. Not a religious thing. It’s just that I don’t need to wear someone else’s art on my body to express who I am. [/quote]

so you dont get your hair cut or wear clothes other than just for pure function right?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I will stay free of ink and piercings. Not a religious thing. It’s just that I don’t need to wear someone else’s art on my body to express who I am. [/quote]

It doesn’t need to be anyone else’s art. It doesn’t even need to be all that artistic. I’ve done 3 out of four of my own tattoos, and I definitely didn’t do them to express who I was. Express who I am? Isn’t that a little sophomoric? I think I’m old enough to have a pretty good idea of who I am, and the aesthetic philosophies I hold allow me to appreciate tattooing myself. If I were the last man alive I’d still do it.

There is some dumb ass work out there. It can be meaningless, ignorant, or an immature attempt to fit a stereotype. Yeah, most tattoos suck, but don’t demonize the whole art.

I’ve got two, one on each side of my ribs, no one sees them unless I want them to.

I like them, but a lot of people are still very old-fashioned and will judge the shit out of you if you’ve got them in visible places.

[quote]lokiau wrote:
um…hindu?[/quote]

As in the religion?

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are you Indian living in New Zealand, or a white/native NZer who adopted Hinduism? Awesome religion, by the way.

I was considering getting an ouroboros myself, or the Celtic Frost heptagram pictured in my avatar. These things can wait though.[/quote]

Sri Lankan who moved to NZ (at age 3 months). I didn’t really have a religion until I was 17. My parents are the “you decide for yourself” type.

Where were you thinking of getting the Ouroboros?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I will stay free of ink and piercings. Not a religious thing. It’s just that I don’t need to wear someone else’s art on my body to express who I am.

sumgai wrote:
Thank goodness someone said it. I look at all of you with tatts and see $ signs. Only a few years away now from big time profits off tattoo removal.

I laugh at those with tribal tattoos. What tribe are you from?? Posers!

Everyone’s got a tattoo to try to make them look different than the next guy. Funny thing is you all look just the same…full of meaningless ink and a lot less cash to show for it.[/quote]

Yeah… this thread was meant to be about what tattoos or piercings people have… not your fear of sharp objects.

Who said they were meaningless? You think most people walk into the shop and go “ooh I’ll take that one on the wall there”?

But I laugh at tribal pieces too. And tattoos that are in a language the person doesn’t speak.

[quote]FlavaDave wrote:
Makavali wrote:

Tattoos (all Hindu stuff. Guess my religion! 10 points for the winner!):

Greek Orthodox[/quote]

Close… but not quite.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Matt wrote:

you mean they look like people who you would think could kick your ass? How does a tattoo translate into instant muscle, power, and skill? Riiiiiight.[/quote]

hahahahahaha

Clueless

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Cimmerian wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are you Indian living in New Zealand, or a white/native NZer who adopted Hinduism? Awesome religion, by the way.

I was considering getting an ouroboros myself, or the Celtic Frost heptagram pictured in my avatar. These things can wait though.

Sri Lankan who moved to NZ (at age 3 months). I didn’t really have a religion until I was 17. My parents are the “you decide for yourself” type.

Where were you thinking of getting the Ouroboros?[/quote]

Deltoid or pec, but if it happens it won’t be for at least a year or two.

I asked because I’ve never encountered a white/European Hindu, nor anyone who ‘adopted’ it outside of what you’d call its geographical home.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
I’ve got two, one on each side of my ribs, no one sees them unless I want them to.

I like them, but a lot of people are still very old-fashioned and will judge the shit out of you if you’ve got them in visible places.
[/quote]

Exactly. That’s why all mine are in places that don’t show in court. And I’m not a lawyer.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

Well then there’s no need for you to post in this thread, is there?

-dizzle

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Thank goodness someone said it. I look at all of you with tatts and see $ signs. Only a few years away now from big time profits off tattoo removal.[/quote]

How many people do you know that have had tattoo removal? I can count on one hand the number of people I’ve ever even heard of getting tats removed.

[quote]
I laugh at those with tribal tattoos. What tribe are you from?? Posers![/quote]

I agree with this, actually. Nothing says “White Trash: 1998” like a tribal tattoo.

[quote]
Everyone’s got a tattoo to try to make them look different than the next guy. Funny thing is you all look just the same…full of meaningless ink and a lot less cash to show for it.[/quote]

What about your clothes? What about your lift numbers or body comp? Do you dress yourself or lift weights to be just like the next guy?

And do you honestly think that everyone’s tattoos are meaningless? With the exception of a few douche bags and dumb girls, I don’t know anyone that has gotten a tattoo just to get one. Personally I’ve spent months debating my tattoos and re-drawing them before I get them done. I don’t regret any of them because they all mean something to me; and let’s not forget the key phrase is mean something to me. I don’t get my tattoos to impress you, I get them because I love them.

-dizzle

I know 3 guys who regret getting their tattoos.

At least with a bad haircut, I know it’ll grow back. I can change my clothes, my style in any way. I can look back and laugh at the clothes I wore in the 70’s. But a tattoo I thought was cool a decade ago suddenly may look stupid today.

I think my point is, that with so many different ways to express or show your own style, I’d opt for the one that’s NOT permanent.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

At least with a bad haircut, I know it’ll grow back. I can change my clothes, my style in any way. I can look back and laugh at the clothes I wore in the 70’s. But a tattoo I thought was cool a decade ago suddenly may look stupid today.

I think my point is, that with so many different ways to express or show your own style, I’d opt for the one that’s NOT permanent. [/quote]

Different strokes for different folks, bro. No worries.

-dizzle

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

I think my point is, that with so many different ways to express or show your own style, I’d opt for the one that’s NOT permanent. [/quote]

What if permanence is your style?

not interested in piercings, I had one in left ear for a few days lol

ink: no, peoples always regret it later

Can people not hijack this thread with your dire warnings of regret? Go start another thread if you want to warn people against body modification.

This thread is supposed to be about what people already have or are planning to get.

And no, we will not tell you if we think “that design is kewl”.

EDIT: In case it’s not obvious, I meant we won’t tell you whether that prospective design is “kewl”. If you choose to post a pic of an existing tat, then we’ll probably say “aw snap! that is awesome!!!1!”.

If you look at Loose Tools pics, you’ll see my ink.

As far as permanence, I adapted all the designs from art made around the year 800. If it’s good enough to last that long, the mere pittance of my life span is nothing.

As far as cost, they were all gifts from an ex-boyfriend.

12 piercings here (had 13)and regret none of them. Three in each ear, helix (left ear), nose, belly and a bunch of other ones. I began to get them 17 years ago and can’t see taking them out any time soon.

In the relative near future, I’d like to get a tattoo of a red lotus that somehow incorporates the name “Luminous”. Now if I can just figure how to draw something other than stick people, I’ll be well on my way!

[quote]MsM wrote:
…and a bunch of other ones…[/quote]

;]

-dizzle