Pictures of Those Giving Advice...

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]Vegita wrote:

It doesn’t? if this guy told OP how to work out you think he would find him credible based on an “eye” test?

V[/quote]

i’ve seen those pictures.

what i’m saying is, look where he is at now.

i could show you pictures of me where i was 165lbs. i knew what i needed to do to get bigger, but do you think anyone really cared or wanted to listen?

now i can’t workout in the college rec without getting “dude, brah, so how…”

with something like bodybuilding/fitness/whatever, i think it’s very important the person giving advice looks like he walks the walk. or at a very least HAS looks like he’s walked the walk.[/quote]

How big are you now?
Oh and about that lunk alarm video…

Now I know why CT decides to shave his dome…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Let’s see if we can get the views of this thread over 1,000.

This is Herschel at his last fight. It does not take regular weight training for all people to look like this. The man has great genetics…and would be bigger than 99% of the people here no matter what.

The man does EXERCISE regularly and has stated he does bodyweight movements more than anything…so to claim he looks UNTRAINED is bullshit and not anything like what I stated before.

If you didn’t know there are guys who can look like this without living in a gym, welcome to reality.[/quote]

You’re actually helping my case. Who should OP take lifting advice from out of the two men? Hershel or CT? If he went by pictures only, who would he go with? My point is a chubby looking powerlifter has spent years and years STUDYING Lifting, Diet, Muscles, How they work, Why they work, What happens when you stimulate them via one method and then another method, etc… The other guy is just a genetic freak, who does friggin pushups and situps and looks better than Frank Zane.

So What someone looks like, does not mean thier advice is good. Case Closed.

V

99% of people have no clue what they are doing…that’s why the majority of people in a gym don’t look like they’ve been there very long.

Even if you asked different (well-respected/experienced) coaches the same question, you would probably get moderately different answers on a lot of topics.

It’s not the advice, it’s about training your ass off, trying different things, and finding out what works for you. People who truely want to make progress figure it out.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

This is Herschel at his last fight. It does not take regular weight training for all people to look like this. The man has great genetics…and would be bigger than 99% of the people here no matter what.

The man does EXERCISE regularly and has stated he does bodyweight movements more than anything…so to claim he looks UNTRAINED is bullshit and not anything like what I stated before.

If you didn’t know there are guys who can look like this without living in a gym, welcome to reality.[/quote]

I recall Joe DeFranco writing about a football player who didn’t like to lift weights because he got too big too quickly. When DeFranco didn’t believe him, and made him start lifting… the guy actually got big WAY too quickly.

There are guys that can fall through the door of a gym and get huge. Herschel Walker is DEFINITELY one of them.

I hate them all. Fuckers.[/quote]

Apparently Eric Lindross was like this too.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

You’re actually helping my case. Who should OP take lifting advice from out of the two men? Hershel or CT? If he went by pictures only, who would he go with? My point is a chubby looking powerlifter has spent years and years STUDYING Lifting, Diet, Muscles, How they work, Why they work, What happens when you stimulate them via one method and then another method, etc… The other guy is just a genetic freak, who does friggin pushups and situps and looks better than Frank Zane.

So What someone looks like, does not mean thier advice is good. Case Closed.

V[/quote]

Wait, so someone needs to actually tell you that there are genetic freaks in the world. We need to write out that just because Mr. Walker can look like that without regular weight lifting, that you may not. You need to be told to speak to someone if you are interested in their training. You have to be instructed to take what you can use and leave what you can’t.

That’s cool…everyone isn’t as quick as me so I can see where the confusion comes from with you lesser humans.

Guess what, skippy. Your chances of getting useful info are much greater walking up to people with big muscles than they are going up to every skinny guy in the gym.

Once again, if you want to waste time that way, go right ahead.

We will see who has more muscle in the long run.

You can’t build muscles in a long run. Look at Marathon runners.

I recall Joe DeFranco writing about a football player who didn’t like to lift weights because he got too big too quickly. When DeFranco didn’t believe him, and made him start lifting… the guy actually got big WAY too quickly.

There are guys that can fall through the door of a gym and get huge. Herschel Walker is DEFINITELY one of them.

A friend of mine is like that. He played D1 middle linebacker and was on the Butkis watchlist until her blew out his knee. Woulda been in the NFL if he didnt have the knee injury. Well he joined the navy after college and we ended up working together.

he was a really big dude and we used to work out together but he never lifted “heavy.” Everything he did was high rep circuit stuff cause he would get way too big way too fast from lifting heavy and still needed to be able to do long runs and swims for work.

I wish I was like that… It would be awesome

[quote]gregron wrote:

A friend of mine is like that. He played D1 middle linebacker and was on the Butkis watchlist until her blew out his knee. Woulda been in the NFL if he didnt have the knee injury. Well he joined the navy after college and we ended up working together.

he was a really big dude and we used to work out together but he never lifted “heavy.” Everything he did was high rep circuit stuff cause he would get way too big way too fast from lifting heavy and still needed to be able to do long runs and swims for work.

I wish I was like that… It would be awesome [/quote]

Well if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its ass everytime it jumps. Dont worry about other people Greg you are what you are.

WWWWHHHOOOOOOOAAA!!!

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Well if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its ass everytime it jumps. [/quote]

^ What Nards I’m a hillbilly, cant help but think of shit like that.

So, If I take someones advice based on their picture and get no results, can I blame them too?

T-Nation: Okay, interesting stuff. Now let’s hear some mutant athlete stories. Any good ones?

JD: I can talk forever on this subject, but I’ll give you three of my favorites. First, three years ago I had the good fortune of training University of Iowa wide receiver, Kevin Kasper, for the NFL Combine. Kevin is still the most well-rounded athlete Iâ??ve ever trained. He’s strong, fast, flexible, and shredded!

One of the evaluation tests for our athletes was to analyze their squat form on a wobble board. This is a great test to determine muscular imbalances, flexibility issues, and weaknesses. Most athletes suck at this test. Kevin stood on the wobble board, squatted ass to the ground without the slightest movement of the board, stood up, and then did a back flip off the board and landed perfectly on his feet! It was amazing. He then went on to break three all-time Combine records and gets drafted by the Denver Broncos.

T-Nation: I can do the exact same thing. I’ll show you, um, later. What’s your second story?

JD: Two years ago I trained University of Alabama-Birmingham defensive end, Eddie Freeman, for the NFL Combine. Eddie is a freak of nature â?? he also likes to talk shit. During a lower body training session, Eddie was arguing with one of the other athletes about who was going to get drafted higher in the NFL draft. Eddie ended up deadlifting 500 pounds for five reps during the argument. The amazing thing was he didnâ??t shut up for the entire five reps! He was more in tune with the argument than the fact he had 500 pounds in his hands. This was also the first time he ever deadlifted! (Eddie ended up being a second-round draft pick, thus winning the argument as well.)

One last story. Kansas City Chiefs defensive tackle, Eric Downing, is still legendary among my athletes for his 30-yard, 660-pound sled drag last year. If you added in the friction created by the track surface he pulled the sled on, the resistance was probably closer to 800 pounds! I have a picture of this in my office. Itâ??s a classic. Eric also vertical jumped over 33 inches while weighing 313 pounds!

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

Apparently Eric Lindross was like this too.[/quote]

Yeah he was a big dude. Though he got concussions way too easily.

Now on topic:

The way I see it is you shouldn’t believe everything you read. It is very easy for someone to talk about something like they have the most knowledge about it in the world when they’re hiding behind a computer screen.

I, myself, would never take advice from someone who wasn’t bigger than me, or who didn’t have more experience in a certain subject as me. That’s not to say that I believe it is impossible for a deconditioned guy to have more knowledge than a jacked beefcake, but I’d rather listen to the guy who lived it.
I am a personal trainer, and to think I know everything about everything would be stupid. Everyday I learn more and more and not only adapt MY training, but also my clients. I watch these other trainers work out and benching 35 lb dumbbells and curling 25lbs for 3 sets of 10 reps and when I offer some advice their reply is “I don’t want to injure myself”. Are these the kinda guys you would want to get trained by? I’d pass.
Also, I’m not huge, by any means. I’m 6ft3 and 200 lbs. I have gained 25 lbs (mostly muscle) in the last few months by just listening to some of the big guys advice here (mostly diet), and some of the bigger guys I train with. Just ask yourself…

Would you rather take advice from / be like the guy with ripped abs squatting 135, or the guy with a little belly in the XXL shirt squatting 405lbs. Figure out your answer, and figure out who is who on here. Shouldn’t be too hard to tell.

Iron Dwarf should only give advice on sex.
I mean, look at that monster!

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:
I mean, look at that monster![/quote]

Yeah, but only with cartoon women.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

Yeah, but only with cartoon women.[/quote]

On that subject, has anyone seen the movie Cool World? I tried watching that shit on Netflix last week and it was too fucking weird to finish.

[quote]MetalRob wrote:
Hello all. My name is Rob,Ive been a lurker here for a while now. Excellent site! But I am curious as to all these people that post advice on nutrition, lifting, etc. as to what they look like. I only say this because I remember reading a post and a reply and seen the pic of the guy, if it was himself, and was like really? Not saying that a guy 6’ and 140lbs cant know what he is talking about,its just that I would like to get advice from someone who is what I want to look like.

It like going and getting an out of shape trainer, doesnt make sense to me, maybe Im wrong. You can blur out your head if you like but Im sure alot of people would like to see if this person has walked the walk and is a good representation of what most of us would like to look like,that is, at least like a Mens Health cover guy or better. Well thats my two cents. Thank you for reading this and hope I havent offended anyone. I look forward to being a member here as this is where I get all my nutrition and lifting advice.[/quote]

You and Prof X are going to get along just fine.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Who would you rather listen to when it comes to playing football? Brock lesnar? or Bill Bellichik? One looks like a football player, the other is a football genious who looks like an average 50 year old couch potatoe.

Anyone remember old pics of Dave Barr or even CT?

I’m sure they have gotten smarter since then, but we all have.

See some of you guys have never slept with a really hot chick (and found out she’s terrible in bed), so you still think looks are everything. Trust someone with a little world experience. There are a hell of a lot of people that know what they are talking about and can pass that on that don’t have the drive, ability, time, patence or genetics to achieve the results themselves.

Another point, You could have a 6’ 240 Lb guy on here looking ripped telling you to go HIT, short intense workouts, Intermitten fastiong eating style. Going heavy etc… And the next guy could be 6’ 240 Lbs looking ripped as well telling you to workout twice per day 5 days a week, eating 7 meals minimum per day consisting of mainly chicken, rice and tuna and some veggies. Then you could have another guy who is 6’ 240 Lbs also ripped and he could advise you to do total body workouts 2X per week. Focusing mainly on big compound movements and pick an accessory excercise or two to focus on each month. Eat 3 normal meals per day but really focus on peri-workout nutrition, get plenty of sleep, and focus on your supplementation for health and longevity.

The thing is all three could be right and there could be 10 more guys who all achived results going down a different path. There is a certain ceiling for an average guy to get large and in shape. I’m just throwing out the 6’ 240 Lb thing because I think thats a fair number for a normal genetic limitation that can be reached through consistent training and a small focus on eating enough to grow. If your 5’6" maybe the number is 210 Lbs.

The only advice that you can follow to get to this “genetic ceiling” is to stay consistent. Time is the only thing that will get you there and quitting early is the only thing that can keep you from it. (injury aside). Now if you are sitting AT your genetic ceiling, then you need to start asking for adive on how to break through that and progress to any number of specialties, Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Strongman, Jersey shore juice monkey etc… Now you need to focus your plan, hone your focus etc…

And no you can’t have my picture you little pervert. I don’t want some little freak jacking off to a shirtless picture of myself. Under the rules of men, that would make me 1/10th gay, or something like that. (you better watch out gregron, he’s gonna be spanking to your new AVI)

V[/quote]

Holy fucking shit batman, that was actually a lucid, cogent, thoughtful, on point reply. What did you do with Vegita and who are you?

[quote]ethanwest wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

Yeah, but only with cartoon women.[/quote]

On that subject, has anyone seen the movie Cool World? I tried watching that shit on Netflix last week and it was too fucking weird to finish.
[/quote]

That the one with Brad Pitt? I saw it a while ago and was reminded of it when it was on Netflix on demand… I remember it being trippy so I didn’t bother :\