Picking Attempts

I’m thinking about signing up for the deadlift at a push/pull meet in a couple weeks. I’ve never competed before and wonder if there are good guidelines or advice out there for picking what weight to use.

Dude got to Elitefts.com, go to articles “training”… Dave Tate and the crew have a shit load of parameters and ways of preparing for a meet. Might help…

There is no simple answer. If you’re looking for percentages thats tough. Since this is your first meet see where you are at about 3 weeks before the meet. [You didnt say if you were geared or raw] If geared go ahead and jack the shirt as much as you can take. This should provide you a reference point.

If you wanna be conservative you’ll open around 90% for instance. So lets say you bench whatever pick a number 300lbs 3 weeks out. You might consider opening at around 275-ish. 2nd attempt can be anyway from 290-305 depending on how aggressive you wanna get; as well as how 275 felt and 3rd attempt anywhere from 305-you name it.

There are just so many variables though. I suppose to make up some percentage numbers from the top of my head and personal experience I suppose it would look like this:
Opener:90-95%
2nd:95-102%
3rd:102%+
If training has gone well 3rd attempt should be a PR attempt always barring incident.

Im sure there are many counter-arguments to my above points, but trying to simply this is rather difficult.

Cruising thru my records… I found these notations. My last meet squat numbers. PR was 725 heading into comp. Opened with 665, 2nd 705, 3rd 745. Notes to self were… 665 flew up and depth was fine. 705 good pace, 1 red for depth, 745 too heavy fell forward 3 reds. So I suppose I follow my own advice above with respect to percentages. On this day truly 730 might have been all I had though. 745 was way way to optimistic.

So really at the end of the day you can go in with percentages but sometimes on meet day you gotta trust your gut/instinct. If anything I probably open lighter than most and shoot too high on 3rd. But unlike some I’ve never ever missed an opener so Im always at least on the board.

The standard I’ve had recommended to me and was finally smart enough to use is

1st attempt: Pick a weight you could lift after being up all night with a sick kid after you came home from a big evening out. You’re creating a fall back position that keeps you in the meet in case you bork your next two attempts.
2nd attempt: Should be a weight you’re pretty certain you can get but is near a max.
3rd attempt: new PR.

You’ve got to adjust based on how you feel though. I came in thinking I was gonna kill big weights (big for me, anyways) and bombed out after squats because I chose my opener too high in bench and didn’t factor in how much squats would take out of me. 3 bench attempts shouldn’t take too much out of your deads, though.

Some folks like to be certain of going 9 for 9 or 6 for 6 too. Depends on your personality.

My two cents and pretty much a restatement of the previous post.

[quote]Yosh wrote:
I’m thinking about signing up for the deadlift at a push/pull meet in a couple weeks. I’ve never competed before and wonder if there are good guidelines or advice out there for picking what weight to use. [/quote]

Typically a good weight to start with is a weight you can do- contest form- for 3 reps. This will get you on the board.
Then conservative approach= go for your 1rm on 2nd go. Then you have another try if you bomb or go for a PR.

balls out= go for PR on 2nd attempt, then PR2 on 3rd.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
The standard I’ve had recommended to me and was finally smart enough to use is

1st attempt: Pick a weight you could lift after being up all night with a sick kid after you came home from a big evening out. You’re creating a fall back position that keeps you in the meet in case you bork your next two attempts.
2nd attempt: Should be a weight you’re pretty certain you can get but is near a max.
3rd attempt: new PR.

You’ve got to adjust based on how you feel though. I came in thinking I was gonna kill big weights (big for me, anyways) and bombed out after squats because I chose my opener too high in bench and didn’t factor in how much squats would take out of me. 3 bench attempts shouldn’t take too much out of your deads, though.

Some folks like to be certain of going 9 for 9 or 6 for 6 too. Depends on your personality.

My two cents and pretty much a restatement of the previous post.[/quote]

This is what I did in my first meet. I pulled one I was sure I’d get, then something somewhat below my old PR but enough to qualify for nationals and then on the last attempt I pulled a new PR.

Just make sure your first pull is something you can pull on any day. Then go by the feel, but try to save the last attempt for a new PR.

Just get in the meet. Go 45, 65, 135. There, you completed a meet.Talk to everyone there,especially the one’s that are stronger than you, find out how they train, and ask them how they fixed the same weaknesses you have. Do this at your first meet and you will be so far ahead of the game it will be ridiculous.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Yosh wrote:
I’m thinking about signing up for the deadlift at a push/pull meet in a couple weeks. I’ve never competed before and wonder if there are good guidelines or advice out there for picking what weight to use.

Typically a good weight to start with is a weight you can do- contest form- for 3 reps. This will get you on the board.
Then conservative approach= go for your 1rm on 2nd go. Then you have another try if you bomb or go for a PR.

balls out= go for PR on 2nd attempt, then PR2 on 3rd.

X2