Picking a Branch of the Service

[quote]Spaghett wrote:
I get a lot of my energy from western music.[/quote]

I get a lot of my energy from calories…but…I live on love.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Spaghett wrote:
I get a lot of my energy from western music.

I get a lot of my energy from calories…but…I live on love.[/quote]

We’ve got both kinds of music here. Country and Western.

You’re throwing around this Special Operations (SEAL/ Special Forces) talk as if any Joe Nobody could sign a sheet of paper and get the job.

Nobody wakes up one day and spontaneously becomes SpecOps.

[quote]hel320 wrote:

Taxi Service? Pussies? Seals/Pararescue/FACs/SeeBees Nothing as macho as those ole’ enginneers.[/quote]

97% total force non-deployability rate (USAF) isn’t what I’d call “macho”. Yeah the Navy has SEALS, and they make up a small percentage of the Navy.

Like I originally, said, if you’re a pussy, choose a “taxi service”

I sure hope you’re at least in one of the services, Gates. :slight_smile:

It’s funny how people tend to misunderstand the roles other services play and blow them off.

[quote]sen say wrote:
meangenes wrote:
sen say wrote:
meangenes wrote:
What branch would you recommend?

WACS because you’re a woman.

Eat dick.

You !

Didn’t you have another thread a while ago about joining the military?[/quote]

Are you mentally deficient?

Yea, I did. What is your point? Oh that I’m like somehow procrastinating? I get it.

But I bet you never thought that big decisions, you know, ones that are going to effect your entire life for the next 4 or more years, take thought and planning to actually go through with.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
hel320 wrote:

Taxi Service? Pussies? Seals/Pararescue/FACs/SeeBees Nothing as macho as those ole’ enginneers.

97% total force non-deployability rate (USAF) isn’t what I’d call “macho”. Yeah the Navy has SEALS, and they make up a small percentage of the Navy.

Like I originally, said, if you’re a pussy, choose a “taxi service”[/quote]

So technically, if you join the Navy with the intent that you will go SEALs, then you are an even bigger pussy? I understand… You’re operating on reverse logic today.

Is it retard day on T-Nation?

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
hel320 wrote:

Taxi Service? Pussies? Seals/Pararescue/FACs/SeeBees Nothing as macho as those ole’ enginneers.

Like I originally, said, if you’re a pussy, choose a “taxi service”[/quote]

I personally hate this “my branch is better than your branch” BS. Maybe its that I have been around long enough to know that the Airforce guys that give me a ride deserve every bit as much respect as the combat engineers who dig my latrines.

I would suggest that if there is a thought or reason or actual insite into why someone suggest one branch over another then put it out there so people know and whoever is considering it has the info to do so. If this is going to become a my dad can beat up your dad kind of debate then why even continue?

First and foremost you need to figure out what you want to do in the military. Every branch has strengths and weaknesses, and each one caters to different abilities and goals.

I don’t care if you’re 2nd Lt. Shmuckatelli with command over a kitchen. If that is where you can perform your duties to the fullest extent, then that is where your country needs you.

Also think about what you want to do after the military. Will a certain MOS help you with these plans better then another?

And, finally, if you want to do the sexy, secret squirrel ninja shit… OCS is most likely not getting to get you there (it may, but there aren’t as many opportunities for it).

If you plan on going the OCS route, you need to get a technical degree. People with English, Psychology, etc. need to go through a couple years of ROTC while in college. At least that’s how it was for the AF about 10 years ago. Not sure about the other branches.

I was AF enlisted and did intel for four years, during non-war time.

The only advice I have is don’t go in thinking the movies you watch are accurate.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
gatesoftanhauser wrote:
hel320 wrote:

Like I originally, said, if you’re a pussy, choose a “taxi service”

So technically, if you join the Navy with the intent that you will go SEALs, then you are an even bigger pussy? I understand… You’re operating on reverse logic today.

Is it retard day on T-Nation?[/quote]

SEALS/USAF Downed Pilot Rescue aren’t pussies, let me make that clear. However, when the overwhelming majority of your service is tehnically based and can’t deploy to go fight, sorry, that relegates your service (USAF/NAVY) to “Taxi” status.

And yes, I am retarded. I rode a short bus to school, have to wear a stilted platform shoe and have to have hand brakes installed on my wheelchair.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
I’m thinking along the lines of intel or Army Special Forces. Preferably something involving both.

SEALs is an option.

Well, basically I have 84 college credits. As of this moment and I’m not sure that what I’m studying is what I want to do when/if I graduate.

I’m going to go see a recruiter again today and check what I got on the pre-ASVAB like a year ago.

I’ll report back.[/quote]

honestly, i’m getting sick and tired of everyone ‘thinking’ about going into the military saying how they’re planning on going spec ops.

i mean, the OP might mean well, but it’s just so fucking rediculous already. wtf is this ‘SEALs is an option’ bullshit.
like you have the goddamn option of going seal.

on the other hand, if you are interested in going intel, i would suggest branching military intellegence with the army, although if you go in as an officer you will require a top secret security clearance so you should make sure you can get one, otherwise it could hinder you from getting promoted.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
What branch would you recommend?

Choices:

Army
Navy
Marine Corps
Others

In no particular order.

Take into consideration that I will most likely be attending OCS.[/quote]

I, too, may be a little biased. USMC OCS #133. Best of luck in whichever branch you coose.

Alright, let’s everyone get up in arms about their precious prized professions. When all I am trying to accomplish here is to get some real life opinions from people who are experienced and honest about their occupation and not going to try to sell me into the military like a recruiter would. My apologies for not taking into consideration that you might not want to answer my questions. No-one is twisting your arm.

On the other hand, I appreciate your concern for my motivation.

Everyone has their own personal reasons for narrowing the branches down. When I was 18 and thinking to join, I only considered the AF and Army because I thought all Navy spent 6 months at sea and all Marines were jackasses. While serving in the AF, I met many Navy personnel who had shore duty and many Marines who I got along with great and ended up being good friends of mine.

To each his own.

im in the navy and can u say IA mission i have fellow shipmates going out there helping the marines and army. can someone explaine to me why the navy enlisted personal have the highest asvab score? i can only wonder why. we put more planes in the air then the air force, transport more people then any one and drop a hell of a lot more bombs then the army or marines, a bullet might kill one person but a missle will take them all out. i cant stand marines who think there better then any one bc i do my job well and take pride in w/e i do. now with that said
the airforce from what i see has the best quality of life and technology.
army my cousin is currently out so i got nothing but love for them.
marines there is no better brotherhood and rank is followed strictly so if u become a officer your somewhat of a god to enlisted.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Alright, let’s everyone get up in arms about their precious prized professions. When all I am trying to accomplish here is to get some real life opinions from people who are experienced and honest about their occupation and not going to try to sell me into the military like a recruiter would. My apologies for not taking into consideration that you might not want to answer my questions. No-one is twisting your arm.

On the other hand, I appreciate your concern for my motivation.[/quote]

The following is general sterotypes and not every job, nor everyone’s experience is the same:

Air Force: Pilots are few and far between. Most personnel are in a support role or non-front line role, i.e. logistics, intel, maintenance, etc.

Army: Special Forces (Green Berets, Rangers, etc.) are not the majority. Majority are front line security personnel trained to control an environment with many on their side. Support forces are also important.

Marines: Smallest of the 4 brances. Stereotyped as most aggressive. Probably sees most action, without being categorized as special operations.

Navy: Potentially spends 6 months at sea, google WESTPAC. Navy does a lot of behind the scenes off-shore security that many people do not realize. The nuclear program is top-notch. SEALs are most famous, but unless you are adament of being a SEAL, you probably will not be one.

Like I already said, this is a generality, others who have different experiences will tell you differently. By the way, I have friends who have been in all branches, and we all love our branches dearly. No matter what branch you choose, you will have brothers for life, and will not regret joining. Good luck.

one more thing i like to say about the navy
we have contruction men who will prolly never see a boat and many more jobs that dont involve the boat.

not sure about airforce flying pilots but i thought i heard they were some of the best trained in the world.
airforce budget bigger then ares to i told my younger brother if u only wants to go in for four years go airforce for life then go somewhere were u can advance faster

Getting a trip to BUD/S is hard for officers. SEALs also don’t need officers and officers usually only do two operational platoons as AOIC then OIC before getting a desk job. There are separate amounts of billets for Naval officers coming from OCS vs. those in ROTC and the Academy.

I don’t know anything about SF.

If being one of these commandos is what you truly want to be, enlisted is the way to go. The SEALs are definitely looking for more enlisted guys.

The chair force has by far the most comfortable life.

Do NOT go “nuke” in the Navy. Being on a sub sucks and the money isn’t worth it and neither is nuclear power school. Don’t go surface navy either. They don’t need more JOs in the surface navy unless the situation has changed in the past 3 years.