Picking a Branch of the Service

What branch would you recommend?

Choices:

Army
Navy
Marine Corps
Others

In no particular order.

Take into consideration that I will most likely be attending OCS.

Marine Corps

what does ‘most likely’ mean?

as a current 2LT in the army, of course i’ll be a little biased. however, it’s more important what you branch WITHIN your choice of service. for example, airforce might sound cool, but do you really want to be a chef? or logistics?

now granted, you might be into that. if you could explain what you were looking for or what you were interested in doing (carer, combat arms, combat support) it’d probably get easier to suggest something.

go army, beat navy

Figure out why are you joining and what you want to get out of it. Do you want to retire through the military? If so what do you think you’d want to do after that? Of course these views can always change once you are in but it’s good to go into things thinking about what you want and how joining will get you there.

I’m thinking along the lines of intel or Army Special Forces. Preferably something involving both.

SEALs is an option.

Well, basically I have 84 college credits. As of this moment and I’m not sure that what I’m studying is what I want to do when/if I graduate.

I’m going to go see a recruiter again today and check what I got on the pre-ASVAB like a year ago.

I’ll report back.

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
what does ‘most likely’ mean?

as a current 2LT in the army, of course i’ll be a little biased. however, it’s more important what you branch WITHIN your choice of service. for example, airforce might sound cool, but do you really want to be a chef? or logistics?

now granted, you might be into that. if you could explain what you were looking for or what you were interested in doing (carer, combat arms, combat support) it’d probably get easier to suggest something.

go army, beat navy[/quote]

LOL. As a butterbar, you should be biased - I know I was way back when. When you get your RR tracks, you will likely know that the Air Force has it best. Btw,there’s nothing wrong with logistics - it translates very well to the civilian world, and the Army has the largest logistics force in the military (Quartermaster, Transportation and Ordnance (my former branch)).

DB

[quote]meangenes wrote:

[/quote]

WACS because you’re a woman.

Remember this: Only pussies choose the “Taxi Services”: Air Force/Navy.

Go Army or USMC. ARMY Engineer Corps is alot of fun. Whole lotta job opportunities after you’re done.

“Essayons”

[quote]sen say wrote:
meangenes wrote:

WACS because you’re a woman.[/quote]

Eat dick.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:

Go Army or USMC. ARMY Engineer Corps is alot of fun. Whole lotta job opportunities after you’re done.

“Essayons”[/quote]

SEALs is not Taxi Service.

On our 12 grade Christmas break a friend and I went to Detriot to take our military testing. When we graduated on June 5th, I had a bus ticket for the US Air Force and was in Basic June 14th. In October I graduated from Air Police School.

What kind of taxi service is the USAF. They had a super secret Special Force that was kept secret for years. During the Invasion of Afganistan, most of the Special Forces were USAF leading and performing the most dangerous missions. Over half of the SOG deaths were Air Force Personnel. It has not been 40 years since I got out, lots of years as a Policeman, and now an investigator, still in high demansd. Thanks to good parents, A Catholic School, and the training and discipline taught in the Air Force.

Real men take up arms for their country, other talk.

Coast Guard. Enjoy sunny Hawaii (or Alaska).

I did a stint as an overseas courier when I stayed with my relatives in Italy. I liked it because I got to meet a lot of nice people from all around eastern europe/adriatic. The navy sounds good for this kind of thing but I would hate to be away from music for so long. I get a lot of my energy from western music.

[quote]Spaghett wrote:
I did a stint as an overseas courier when I stayed with my relatives in Italy. I liked it because I got to meet a lot of nice people from all around eastern europe/adriatic. The navy sounds good for this kind of thing but I would hate to be away from music for so long. I get a lot of my energy from western music.[/quote]

wtf? what do you mean away from music? This isn’t the 18th century. They actually have computers on today’s ships. Seriously. Even the interwebs.

DB

Gotta go with Zap on this one.

Coast Guard all the way. My bro is a top brass in the CG and he has time to surf and do triathlons !

You will have to decide what your goals are and then choose based on them.
There is a HUGE difference between SEALS and Army SF. Completely different missions (some over-lap, but not much)and mind sets. And an even bigger difference between them and Intel.

Sean

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:

“Essayons”[/quote]

Taxi Service? Pussies? Seals/Pararescue/FACs/SeeBees Nothing as macho as those ole’ enginneers.

If you are thinking SEALs, then I would recommend enlisting first. That way you go through BUDs, do a couple platoons(deployments), then put in an officer package and move on up the chain.

If you go officer right away, you will likely get ONE shot at BUDs, which statistically speaking may not be enough. Then once you are at a team, you will do a few platoons(prolly 3-4 tops) before you are stuck in a staff position ‘because its necessary for upward mobility.’ You might still deploy with the platoons past the O-3 level, but it would be mainly as a task unit commander, sitting back at the base while they do the fun stuff.

As an enlisted guy, you can continue deploying throughout your career, and if your gonna be a SEAL, isn’t that kinda the point?

[quote]boatguy wrote:
If you are thinking SEALs, then I would recommend enlisting first. That way you go through BUDs, do a couple platoons(deployments), then put in an officer package and move on up the chain.

If you go officer right away, you will likely get ONE shot at BUDs, which statistically speaking may not be enough. Then once you are at a team, you will do a few platoons(prolly 3-4 tops) before you are stuck in a staff position ‘because its necessary for upward mobility.’ You might still deploy with the platoons past the O-3 level, but it would be mainly as a task unit commander, sitting back at the base while they do the fun stuff.

As an enlisted guy, you can continue deploying throughout your career, and if your gonna be a SEAL, isn’t that kinda the point?[/quote]

Exactly. Thanks Boatguy. That is actually great advice, I’m going to have to double check on this to make sure but it sounds about right.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
sen say wrote:
meangenes wrote:

WACS because you’re a woman.

Eat dick.[/quote]

You !

Didn’t you have another thread a while ago about joining the military?