Pick Things Up & Putting Them Down with 5/3/1

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:
Today’s article also got me thinking about farmer’s walk and the like haha.

Don’t worry about the bench progress. I highly doubt you’re getting weaker even though you’re not hitting PRs. Gaining muscle/strength is hardly a linear process. In good time you’ll see your hard work pay off. Just keep at it man! [/quote]

Farmers are the shit man. They work traps and grip (which most people suck at) and your core and legs and also your cardiovascular system. Definitely big bang for your buck, im excited to do some tomorrow.

As for bench… I’ve always sucked at this exercise. My right scapula is out of position compared to my left (posture problems when i was younger) and various subluxations in my spine might cause it as well, so my right side is noticeably weaker than my left side and it is always a grind to get the last rep, because my left side will lockout no problem and my right struggles. I am not sure how to fix it, i went to a chiropractor for a little bit, but he doesn’t specialize in the shoulder joint, and I don’t feel that it is necessary to address it as it only affects a hobby of mine (weightlifting) and nothing else. I guess working around it and just keep on pressing will be the only thing that will make my bench go up, even tho it will be slower.

Deadlift, squat and overhead press are my shit though!

Thanks for the encouragement man

[quote]Dlouda wrote:

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:

Don’t worry about the bench progress. I highly doubt you’re getting weaker even though you’re not hitting PRs. Gaining muscle/strength is hardly a linear process. In good time you’ll see your hard work pay off. Just keep at it man! [/quote]

Farmers are the shit man. They work traps and grip (which most people suck at) and your core and legs and also your cardiovascular system. Definitely big bang for your buck, im excited to do some tomorrow.

As for bench… I’ve always sucked at this exercise. My right scapula is out of position compared to my left (posture problems when i was younger) and various subluxations in my spine might cause it as well, so my right side is noticeably weaker than my left side and it is always a grind to get the last rep, because my left side will lockout no problem and my right struggles. I am not sure how to fix it, i went to a chiropractor for a little bit, but he doesn’t specialize in the shoulder joint, and I don’t feel that it is necessary to address it as it only affects a hobby of mine (weightlifting) and nothing else. I guess working around it and just keep on pressing will be the only thing that will make my bench go up, even tho it will be slower.

Thanks for the encouragement man[/quote]

No problem at all man!

I’ve read that push ups are pretty good to incorporate into one’s program. Something about it being good for the shoulder girdle. Frankly I’m not quite sure as to what the benefit is, but it has to do with push ups allowing your scapula to go through a full range of motion. As opposed to be locked up my a bench. I’d look into the work of guys like Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, and Tony Gentilcore.

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:

[quote]Dlouda wrote:

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement man[/quote]

No problem at all man!

I’ve read that push ups are pretty good to incorporate into one’s program. Something about it being good for the shoulder girdle. Frankly I’m not quite sure as to what the benefit is, but it has to do with push ups allowing your scapula to go through a full range of motion. As opposed to be locked up my a bench. I’d look into the work of guys like Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, and Tony Gentilcore.
[/quote]

I can see that point with pushups. I never do them mainly due to the fact that they are hard to load, but i will look into it!

I’d give this article a look. It may prove useful.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/rehabilitation/did-you-know-youre-dysfunctional/

Tuesday 2/1/11
Cycle 1
Week 3 Day 2

Squat:
135x5
155x5
185x3
205x5
230x3
255x10 (PR?)

Good Mornings:
95x10
105x10
105x10
105x10

Farmer’s Walks:
210 (105 DB’s in each hand) x 4 sets of however long til’ grip gave out

Comments: Fuckin’ shat on squats today. Went in with a positive attitude and a new quality belt and 255 felt light. Form was on point, and honestly even the 10th rep wasn’t a grind strength wise, but I was winded and felt that I should stop before i run out of breath and faceplant or somethin lol. I consider 10 rep squats “high rep” because for the longest time I wouldn’t do anything over 6 reps, but i’m gettin used to them, hittin 10 reps for the past 3 weeks now. Farmers were awesome, little bit of chalk and some heavier dumbbells and off i went. Overall great workout

Nice job on the squat session. It’s absolutely awesome when you’re just in the zone for squats.

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:
Nice job on the squat session. It’s absolutely awesome when you’re just in the zone for squats.[/quote]
Oh yeah, it was great. My eyes and face was completely bloodshot by rep 7, but i wasn’t going to stop even though I wanted to.

Thanks for the link I’m looking over it!

Thursday 2/3/11
Cycle 1
Week 3 Day 3

Military Press:
45x10
65x5
95x3
120x5
135x3
150x5.5

DB Arnold Press:
50x10
55x10
55x10 (PR)
50x10

DB Row:
60x10
80x10
100x15
80x20

Skullcrushers:
80x10
70x10
70x10
80x8

Comments: Pressing was good, my buddy helped me a little on my 6th rep of my last set so I can’t count it as a full rep. DB arnolds went well; I beat my last week’s numbers even though military was heavier this week. My shoulders are absolutely fried and deserve a deload. I also went up in skullcrushers, because 4x10 of 70’s was getting too light. I skipped curls today because of lack of time and I’ll make them up tomorrow.

awesome name for a log. wish i’d thought of it.

John Cena will do farmers walks for time where he just walks slowly back and forth trying to hold on as long as possible. Try to find a way to time yourself.

Presses look good but there’s no sense in counting half reps.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
John Cena will do farmers walks for time where he just walks slowly back and forth trying to hold on as long as possible. Try to find a way to time yourself.

Presses look good but there’s no sense in counting half reps. [/quote]

Sure there is, I completed the rep, just with a little assistance. It shows progress compared to not being able to do a partial rep at all in my opinion. Thanks for the advice however!

Friday 2/4/11
Cycle 1
Week 3 Day 4

Deadlifts (Chalk, no straps):
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x1
290x5
330x3
365x6 (PR)

Barbell Curls:
75x12
85x12

Comments: Deadlift went up smoothly. Hit a PR very easily with good controlled form/motion. I had like 2 more reps in the tank on the last set, but one thing i’ve learned from experience is to never go to failure on heavy deadlifts, because back rounding and poor form is inevitable on those last reps and it can really fuck your back up. I told myself i’ll aim for 6 reps and got them and that’s all I wanted. I was attempting to do curls because I skipped them on thursday, but my forearms were in a lot of pain (piercing pain) and so i stopped. Deload week is coming up, and is much needed.

Nice job on the PR! Do you usually do your DLs touch and go? Or do you reset after each rep?

Somewhere in the middle, I do really controlled negative reps, because when I would just drop the weight my back took a beating and hurt like hell. It is harder to control the negative but my back feels so much better and i feel like i get more out of the exercise. I don’t ‘reset’, but i don’t bounce the weight off the floor either.

Tuesday 2/8/11
Cycle 1 - Deload
Week 4 Day 1

Military Press:
45xSome
65x5
85x5
95x5

Bodyweight Wide Pullups:

Bodyweight Dips:

Bodyweight Pushups:

DB Preacher Curl:
35x12
35x9

Comments: Workout took no time at all, just wanted to go in and get out. Didn’t do much work because I am trying to follow Wendler’s advice and deload properly. I focused on using slow reps and getting a good burn out of the exercises instead, and even with such light weight / my own body weight I felt a good burn.

Thursday 2/10/11
Cycle 1 - Deload
Week 4 Day 2&3

Squat:
115x5
135x5
155x5

Deadlift:
135x5
155x5
185x5
235x5

Comments: Nothing much to say, deload weeks are boring and easy, but they are necessary. Can’t always lift at max potential and expect constant progress without taking some time to rest.

Friday 2/11/11
Cycle 1 - Deload
Week 4 Day 4

Flat Bench Press:
95x5
115x5
135x5

T-Bar Row:
45x10
90x10
90x10
90x10

Close-grip Bench Press:
95x10
95x10
135x10
135x10

Ez Bar Preacher Curls:
65x12
85x12
105x8

Push Ups:

Comments: End of deload. Lets go Cycle 2!

Let’s see some PRs up in here!

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:
Let’s see some PRs up in here![/quote]

Agreed! They’re coming this week for sure

Monday 2/14/11
Cycle 2
Week 1 Day 1

Flat Bench Press:
45x20
8 Wide Pull Ups
95x5
8 Wide Pull Ups
115x3
8 Wide Pull Ups
140x5
165x5
185x9 (PR)

DB Flat Press:
70x5
80x5
80x5
80x5

Weighted Wide Pull Ups:
25x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5
35x5

Weighted Dips:
70x5
70x5
70x5
70x5

Ez Bar Preacher Curls:
65x12
85x12
105x7
65x8

Comments: Bench press ain’t my thing, and even PR’s don’t make me happy, because I should be putting up way more than I am. Switched up a few assistance exercises and the rep range on them as well, going heavier and lower reps, we’ll see if it makes a difference from cycle to cycle to switch up the rep ranges. Overall the workout was good, it was a little too long, because I had to wait to get a bench in the beginning due to too many people at my gym and Monday being “chest” day for everyone lol. Squats tomorrow.