Pick EC's Brain

[quote]downintucson wrote:
I can grind out a heavy deadlift using conventional style. With sumo style, though, it’s either stapled to the floor or it comes up no problem. I read that the “all-or-nothing” thing is a peculiarity of the sumo style. Is this true or am just weak at something? [/quote]

That’s a pretty good synopsis, as most sumo pullers struggle off the floor. It’s one of the reasons that these individuals benefit so much for speed pulls and deadlift suits.

Just a theory, but I can only assume that this has to do with the fact that power is best-generated from the narrow stance position, whereas stability is most easily attained when the stance (and, in turn, the base of support) is wider. Think about the Olympic lifts; where are the feet positioned at the start?

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
Is their any evidence proving the whole “1 gram of protein per pound of body weight” thing? I don’t see any real changes when changing up my intake, I’d like to know the science behind it.[/quote]

Wow, you’re opening a big can of worms tonight! I think that JB did a great job of summing up the “why” of this side of the argument in “Protein Prejudice” last year; give it a read.

Hint: think optimization, not requirement!

[quote]Original_Demon wrote:
What are your thoughts on detoxing and does Biotest offer any products for this?[/quote]

I think that you’re better off not putting the toxins in your body in the first place.

Last time I checked, Biotest wasn’t into catering to tree hugging hippies with so much concern for their colons.

That was a joke, folks. Biotest doesn’t have a detox product. Milk Thistle is great for the liver in this regard, and provided you’re consuming plenty of fiber, I’d say that you’re all set. Some would definitely debate me on this one, though. As I recall, JB covered this in an old Appetite for Construction column (man, I’m passing the buck to him tonight!).

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
I have a question regarding the order of my training and maybe even a crituque of my current routine. Right now I am using training density as means to lean out and drop about 5 percent body fat. I feel this will add in my summer baseball league.

I’m using some of Waterbury’s principles, especially the ones he laid out in OSC and Endurance Hypertrophy Paradox. I’m using a heavy load and short rest periods, then decreasing the amount of rest each week while keeping the load constant. I ll also throw in an endurance training day of 20-25 reps in order to speed recovery.

On the other days Im slowly increasing my cardio about two minutes each week until i hit 40 minutes a session(steady state 70% mhr)

These sessions are total body with 4 exercises a session with 5 sets each(except for endurance day). I was wondering what you thought of my plan and if it seemed sound, plus I wanted to enquire how one might fit in specific prehabilitation and rehabilitation work into such a program. I feel there are certain area’s I need to address and many of the exercises in NNM would seem to help, but how should I incoroprated them into my routine, or should I restructure in order to fix some weaknesses.

Current Stats and Program (just in case)
Maximal Strength Day 5RM 3reps
60 sec rest decrease by 5sec each week
Deadlift 5 sets
Bench 5 sets
Lunges 5 sets
Rows 5 sets

Max Srength II
Squat
Chinup
Good Mornings
Military Press

6’3 250 19% body fat

Endurance Day 20reps 24RM 2 sets
RDL
Seated Row
Incline Bench
Split Squat
Reverse Grip Tricep Pressdowns
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises
[/quote]

From a specificity standpoint, I’m not sold on the idea of using a density-based approach to prepare for a sport that is inherently non-dense. Additionally, athletics are about RFD and reactive ability - not just max strength. You’d be wise to consider adding some speed work.

Why in the world are you doing so much endurance work if you’re trying to prepare for a sport that is 99.99999% anaerobic? Does Joan Benoit Samuelsson play shortstop for your team?

In terms of prehab, I’d incorporate more scapular retraction and humeral external rotation movements on your max strength and recovery days. Some specific activation work for the glutes would be useful as well; those can be put on your recovery circuit days.

[quote]Built Big wrote:
EC

What kind of general nutrition guidelines do you recommend for strength athletes (powerlifters, strongmen, etc.). I’m not a big fan of traditional bodybuilding diets or food logs but diet is the one area where I can use some work and I’m prepared to make some changes. I’m sure my performance in the gym is suffering because of it. I do make sure I get enough protein and I don’t eat much junk food but other than that, I don’t really pay attention to what I eat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks[/quote]

This is music to my ears; I wish more strength and power athletes would realize how much of a difference proper diet can make. It’s of the utmost importance for me; although I hover around 180 most of the year, I compete at 165, so I can’t afford to put on any bad weight.

As a whole, these athletes need to realize that they don’t need as many carbs as they seem to think are necessary. I eat the vast majority of my carbs during and after training, and stick to protein, fat, and veggies the rest of the day. Every 7-10 days, I’ll have an extra 2-3 post-training carb meals to recharge for the days ahead.

In general, I think that most can make excellent progress simply by eating more frequently and opting for cleaner choices - even if they don’t change the overall number of calories they’re consuming. More healthy fats are a must, too, especially when you consider the effect of fat intake on endogenous testosterone levels and strength improvements via several mechanisms.

Thanks! A little bit of this style of cardio can only help the cause, too. Drop me an email if there’s anything I can do to help. FYI, I don’t believe in counting calories on a daily basis; it’s the single-worst thing that I think a lot of people can do.

Eric,

Any benefit to doing front squats with your arms crossed (bodybuilding style?)? If I cross my arms under the bar I seem to focus too much on balancing the weight instead of actually squating, but I see people doing both. Thanks.

Hi Eric,

My lifting has gotten side tracked because I got diagnosed with costochondritis. It is an inflammatory process of the costochondral or costosternal joints that causes localized pain and tenderness. Any of the 7 costochondral junctions may be affected.

Do you have any experience with this? Any recommendations on prevention/rehab?

Thanks

Thanks Eric. I really appreciate your time.

[quote]jka_72 wrote:
Eric,

Any benefit to doing front squats with your arms crossed (bodybuilding style?)? If I cross my arms under the bar I seem to focus too much on balancing the weight instead of actually squating, but I see people doing both. Thanks.[/quote]

Benefit? Not really, unless it’s a position that makes you more comfortable. I actually prefer the cross-face grip, whereas the clean grip works better for others. The important thing is that everything below the arms is going right!

[quote]bmf_inc wrote:
Hi Eric,

My lifting has gotten side tracked because I got diagnosed with costochondritis. It is an inflammatory process of the costochondral or costosternal joints that causes localized pain and tenderness. Any of the 7 costochondral junctions may be affected.

Do you have any experience with this? Any recommendations on prevention/rehab?

Thanks[/quote]

Admittedly, my own personal experience with the condition is nil, but I can say that I’ve heard anecdotal reports of the condition responding favorably to frequent daily stretching sessions for the pecs (gentle at first) and application of heat to the area.

Hey Eric-

Just wondering what you felt is best in terms of grip when you squat. Too wide and I cant get my traps tight enough, too close and the bar is too high. Any guidelines for prime placement?

yo Eric,

i just sprained my wrist polevaulting. My right forearm and hand is in a cast for a little bit My offseason is coming up and I don’t want to lose strength in my right arm. Any tips or exercises I could do to keep/maintain strength in my right arm?
Thanks,
Poper

[quote]BigDirk wrote:
Hey Eric-

Just wondering what you felt is best in terms of grip when you squat. Too wide and I cant get my traps tight enough, too close and the bar is too high. Any guidelines for prime placement?[/quote]

Somewhere in the middle! In terms of upper back tightness, the closer, the better. If you can’t get close, however, you need to work on your flexibility. It’s really a “guess and check” thing.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
doogie wrote:
I have a posteriorly protruding disk at L5-S1. What exercises should I avoid? I’ve worked my deadlift back up to 500, but doing leg raises while on my back kills me. Thanks.

You actually answered your own question: avoid anything that hurts! If you’re pulling five bills, you’re past the clinical realm and need to start training instinctively to some extent (under the supervision of a qualified professional, that is). If it hurts, you’re only prolonging the recovery.

I would encourage you to:

1. Stretch the psoas major as often as possible. It attaches directly on the lumbar spine and is likely pulling your vertebrae into the position of pain as you shorten it with leg raises. This is one of the reasons that L5-S1 is the most commonly injured disc.

2. Strengthen the entire core, especially the rectus abdominus.

3. Do glute activation work until you’re blue in the face.

4. Avoid any loaded spinal flexion, and be careful with any spinal flexion period.[/quote]

Thanks. What are some ways to strengthen the rectus abdominus without spinal flexion?

Hi Eric,
I posted a video of a dead lift that I did about a week ago and i was hoping to get a little feedback. Watching yourself lift is such an amazing tool, since I had no idea that my form was so weak. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance, here is the link.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=614909

[quote]doogie wrote:
Thanks. What are some ways to strengthen the rectus abdominus without spinal flexion?
[/quote]

I’m not sure you have to avoid it altogether; I’m just encouraging you to be careful in this regard. You might find that some simple curl-ups will be fine.

Stabilization exercises like prone bridges are excellent ways to strengthen the RA isometrically, and you also are deriving quite a bit of benefit from the compound exercises you’re doing.

[quote]wtagye wrote:
Hi Eric,
I posted a video of a dead lift that I did about a week ago and i was hoping to get a little feedback. Watching yourself lift is such an amazing tool, since I had no idea that my form was so weak. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance, here is the link.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=614909 [/quote]

I think I replied to your training partner’s video last night, and you actually have a few of the same problems.

1. Stance is too wide. Either go sumo or bring them in; the middle isn’t any good.

2. Get your arms in so that they’re touching the outside of your thighs.

3. Don’t spend so much time setting up. Walk up to the bar, position your feet, set your grip, pull yourself down to the bar, fire your heels into the floor. Do all your thinking before you grab the bar.

4. I could see your lower back, so that tells me that you’re rounding over as your hips rise too quickly.

You did do a good job at the top of the movement; way to push the hips through, throw the head back, and lock out the weight with the glutes.

EC,
In follow-up to your think tank posting on us old gym rats, re: joints being a limiting factor. Do you have any new approaches or thoughts on combating this, beyond fish oil, glucosomine, etc. I’ve been working on muscular imbalances and flexibility but I’m always looking for more. Thanks in advance
old dogg

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
I think I replied to your training partner’s video last night, and you actually have a few of the same problems.

1. Stance is too wide. Either go sumo or bring them in; the middle isn’t any good.

2. Get your arms in so that they’re touching the outside of your thighs.

3. Don’t spend so much time setting up. Walk up to the bar, position your feet, set your grip, pull yourself down to the bar, fire your heels into the floor. Do all your thinking before you grab the bar.

4. I could see your lower back, so that tells me that you’re rounding over as your hips rise too quickly.

You did do a good job at the top of the movement; way to push the hips through, throw the head back, and lock out the weight with the glutes.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, and yes Strongman is my training partner. Will sinking mhy hips more at the start of the lift help link the movements between Legs/ hips and torso? Also what is your take on retracting the scapula prior to the begining of the lift? Thanks for all the info.
-Will

Eric,

My feet point outward slightly when I stand normally and when I straighten them my knees slightly angle in. It is noted that when you tighten your butt cheeks your knees straighten up and this is an imbalance. Your ass is not strong enough in other words? This is interesting as well because I know my groin when cutting all over the place always seems to be sore .

In addition, my inner ankle bone slightly caves inward. When I walk my toes tend to flop out. Any ideas in the relationship between my feet, sore inner thighs, and inner ankle bone slightly caving in?

-Get Lifted