T Nation

Physique Pics Bitching

I don’t get it…under physique and performance photos there is a picture of a dude for “bodyweight exercises only.” now, he re is my gripe. In general, he looks good, extremely lean, but good. What I don’t get is that I thought that this was a hardcore sight, whereas most of the contributors are after muscle gains, mass, and all things associated. So…why is everyone telling this kid that he looks great and that he shouldn’t change. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a hater, nor do I think that my opinions matter more than anyone elses. I was just confused as to why someone like that would get such positive feedback, while the dude who posted “End of cutting” received pretty much no praise.

People are looking for good results, despite whatever method(s) you use.

Take martial arts for example. People don’t really care whether your main training regime invloves weights, body weights or a mixture of both. It is who wins the fight at the end that counts.

Just my 2 cents.

[quote]SheekLouche wrote:
I don’t get it…under physique and performance photos there is a picture of a dude for “bodyweight exercises only.” now, he re is my gripe. In general, he looks good, extremely lean, but good. What I don’t get is that I thought that this was a hardcore sight, whereas most of the contributors are after muscle gains, mass, and all things associated. So…why is everyone telling this kid that he looks great and that he shouldn’t change. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a hater, nor do I think that my opinions matter more than anyone elses. I was just confused as to why someone like that would get such positive feedback, while the dude who posted “End of cutting” received pretty much no praise. [/quote]

The author of the “End of cutting” thread is 16 as well, which I find impressive…

However, icklemoley posted pictures after using bodyweight excersizes. Titling the thread “Bodyweight Excersizes Only” implies that he’s achived results which would be fairly inadequate if using free weights, so he’s gonna go ahead and throw that possibility out so as to not get compared with people using free weights. Immediately, before seeing the pictures, you are now predicting a lean slender toned man.

So, people take into account the fact he used bodyweight excersizes to generate those results, and find it rather decent, so they pat him on the back. A lot of people on this site generally want to have a positive attitude, and want to “support” people no matter what. However, I think “supporting” people is different then simply congratulating someone on OK results. If there were some vastly different before pictures, then congratulations are usually more warranted.

But this isn’t the case. Here recently, far too many people have been posting pictures, as if some way to either be identified on the site, or prove they lift, or who knows. The unfortunate fact about this is virtually all of these new pictures only need one type of critique: GET BIGGER AND STRONGER AND MORE IMPRESSIVE I even say this to guys like Hinman. You’re lean, you’ve got good definition, but you’re small. What more do you want? These people need to be focusing on gaining more size and keeping quiet until they can come back in a few years and post before/after pics and look truly impressive.

You’re right in assuming this is a more hardcore site. People have been claiming that the site is leaning more towards the mainstream, which I don’t believe is the case. I simply think that more mainstream FORUM POSTERS are finding the site. People seem to forget, and this is evident in the many juvenile questions and posts as of late, that this site IS A HUGE ARCHIVE OF BODYBUILDING AND POWERLIFTING AND STRENGTH AND DIET INFORMATION. It seems as if more and more people are simply coming here and hanging out in the forums, asking very basic questions so as people more experience can guide them instead of using this wonderful free information tool that is T-Nation.com to further enhance their knowledge. People who’s development is so far behind as to not warrant detailed training questions need to just pick heavy shit up and lift, and read some damn articles.

However, it is a forum, it is a free country, so if people wanna post what they want thats fine. Other people will have opinions on that. Just the way it is.

[quote]geekboy wrote:
People are looking for good results, despite whatever method(s) you use.

Take martial arts for example. People don’t really care whether your main training regime invloves weights, body weights or a mixture of both. It is who wins the fight at the end that counts.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

While that may be true, why would martial artists post their pictures on a body building and powerlifting site like this? Its like Louie Simmons entering PETA’s Soy Boy awards. It just makes no sense.

People are posting pictures on this site that have nothing to do with powerlifting or bodybuilding, and are then crying when they get flamed. THIS WEBSITE IS NOT “Am I hot or not.com”. Those threads are there so people can show what their years of hard work have accomplished, not so some 16 year old, 6 foot 150lbs weiner can try and get an ego stroke. Anybody saying “Congratulations” or “Good work” to that has probably just cut off their penis and become a lesbian.

Long live the Diablo barbell and Jackass threads. They actually contain pictures worth bragging about.

hmm…for such “hardcore” people you sure bitch a lot.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
hmm…for such “hardcore” people you sure bitch a lot. [/quote]

His point is valid and he has an opinion shared by many on this site. He shouldn’t talk about it because you don’t like it? I know the thread he is talking about was posted originally back in December, but it shows one more person with very little size on them at all who simply lost weight, yet felt the need to post a picture. I think some misunderstand what this site is about. Maybe Biotest should start selling a “One Minute Abs” video. They can get a gratuitous metrosexual to host it and make a few millions in just a few months…as long as he has great highlights, 14" arms and AMAZING abs.

This may be a bodybuilding and powerlifting site, but it is much more than that. In fact, a mission statement in a paper T-Mag I have reads that even ‘people who want to train for their next ping-pong tournament’ may benefit from it. While we all want big nice physiques, this site is about pushing yourself, being the best you can be, rising above the average rest, etc. Why else would so many revolutionary topics be here, and why do sometimes your would-be considered meatheads converse in a forum talking about some of their favorite novels?

When I saw that bodyweight training guy, I was happy that the ideals of this site came to life in him by the fact that he used an unusual training routine and gave it a “hardcore” shot.

Besides, Physique and performance pictures are more than about physique anyways. People send pics of them doing extraordinary stuff, like lifting lots of weight, ya know, and they might not have a traditional good body-building form either. In fact, some really freaky people are skinny and lift lots of weight, does that make them unwated in that forum? Hell no, everyone wants to see people do freaky things, that’s what we’re here for!

[quote]Heowww wrote:

Besides, Physique and performance pictures are more than about physique anyways. People send pics of them doing extraordinary stuff, like lifting lots of weight, [/quote]

Gee, I think that falls under “performance”. But, where do the “Hi, I just started lifting yesterday but here are my lovehandles” pics and the “what’s up, I weigh 132lbs at 6’1” and I built these abs using a revolutionary workout program called S.Y.S…or starve yourself stupid" pics go?

[quote]Heowww wrote:
This may be a bodybuilding and powerlifting site, but it is much more than that. In fact, a mission statement in a paper T-Mag I have reads that even ‘people who want to train for their next ping-pong tournament’ may benefit from it. While we all want big nice physiques, this site is about pushing yourself, being the best you can be, rising above the average rest, etc. Why else would so many revolutionary topics be here, and why do sometimes your would-be considered meatheads converse in a forum talking about some of their favorite novels?

When I saw that bodyweight training guy, I was happy that the ideals of this site came to life in him by the fact that he used an unusual training routine and gave it a “hardcore” shot.

Besides, Physique and performance pictures are more than about physique anyways. People send pics of them doing extraordinary stuff, like lifting lots of weight, ya know, and they might not have a traditional good body-building form either. In fact, some really freaky people are skinny and lift lots of weight, does that make them unwated in that forum? Hell no, everyone wants to see people do freaky things, that’s what we’re here for![/quote]

In both of the examples above (the Bodyweight and Cutting examples) both guys had builds like under-fed surfers. There was nothing about training (not hardcore training, anyway), just a couple of pretty boy shots. How does this make them “freaky”?

post on a sute, and then expect what is comming to ya.

if people want sicophantic comments, they had better look elsewhere.

This is not to say that individuals who have the courage to place them on here should be flamed, its just that you may be a little self obsessed (bw boy??) as opposed to those who have made an increadible change (before and after shots etc), or those proud of their feats…jump/lift/throw, or those looking for assistance iwth ibalances, etc.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
StevenF wrote:
hmm…for such “hardcore” people you sure bitch a lot.

His point is valid and he has an opinion shared by many on this site. He shouldn’t talk about it because you don’t like it? I know the thread he is talking about was posted originally back in December, but it shows one more person with very little size on them at all who simply lost weight, yet felt the need to post a picture. I think some misunderstand what this site is about. Maybe Biotest should start selling a “One Minute Abs” video. They can get a gratuitous metrosexual to host it and make a few millions in just a few months…as long as he has great highlights, 14" arms and AMAZING abs.[/quote]

you’re right, I agree there is nothing special about these pictures, too.

[quote]geekboy wrote:

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

What?

Not all the replies on the bodyweight thread have been positive, especially in the beginning. I think my post said he looked like a woman. Who you are seeing posting is members who like that kind of physique. If you check the profiles of these posters you will find that they are relatively new, small, and/or young. The rest of us are tired of wasting our time.

I don’t have a problem with bodyweight exercises or the poster who started the thread. I don’t understand the novelty of performing a bw only program, but I guess it is interesting to some. I think the post is worth something in that it shows the type of physique one can expect by performing such a program.

The reason that the bodyweight poster didn’t get flamed has a lot to do with the fact that he didn’t argue with people or get all huffy about the responses.

Everyone has different goals.

Hardcore doesn’t necessarily mean being the biggest, strongest or “manliest.”

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:

Hardcore doesn’t necessarily mean being the biggest, strongest or “manliest.”[/quote]

What else does it mean?

Nate Dogg wrote:

Hardcore doesn’t necessarily mean being the biggest, strongest or “manliest.”

What else does it mean? [/quote]

around here anymore, hardcore seems to be defined as “who can whine the loudest and has the best abs.”

Bastards.

Hardcore is big, strong, and whatever you have to do to get there.
IMO.

What else does it mean? [/quote]

Being hardcore can mean those things, but it can also mean being hardcore about nutrition, fitness, health, biking, or other athletic activities.

If I was coming to T-Nation for “hardcore” advice to help my game/sport/etc., it wouldn’t necessarily mean being the biggest or strongest (bodybuilder/powerlifter). I may want “cutting edge” nutrition or athletic training information, and I wouldn’t necessarily need to be the biggest or strongest person in order to excel.

Or maybe I would want “hardcore” information on getting in shape using bodyweight-only exercises.

Everyone acts like T-Mag is so hardcore and that everyone on here should be the biggest or strongest person.

Guess what? There is always someone else who is bigger or stronger. And you know what else? I’d say that only a small percentage of people on T-Nation are actually what most would consider the “biggest and/or strongest” out there.

There are so many people on here with so many different goals that being the biggest or strongest may not be one of them. Maybe T-Nation should be known for being “cutting edge” rather than hardcore. Seems like a bit of a misnomer to me.

Some of the people who post on the forum act like something from the pages of Flex or Muscle & Fiction. If your goal is to be the biggest or strongest, more power to you. But realize that not everyone shares the same goal, but they use T-Nation for the wonderful information it does contain.

Looking at the biggest whiners on this site, I can’t help but wonder if steroids make you “bitchy,” like a really bloated, pimply PMS for dudes.

[quote]violentvegan wrote:
Looking at the biggest whiners on this site, I can’t help but wonder if steroids make you “bitchy,” like a really bloated, pimply PMS for dudes. [/quote]

HA! This coming from someone named “Violent Vegan”. Some of you crack me up.

I don’t understand why a lot of the beginners post their pictures and ask for advice. Here’s a typical comment following a picture. “I’ve been hanging around the site for a while and finally decided to post my picture. Any advice?” Have you been reading the articles on the site or literally hanging around the site. JB complained about this during his double tap. Most of the time these people know what they should do they just don’t want to put in the time. Out of all the threads there are only a couple worth looking at (Cardoza, diablo, etc)…my 2 cents