Physique Imbalances

Hi guys,question about training,I do mma and want to build some muscles in gym,but don’t want to lose functionality.I wanna look like the guy on the second picture,where I need to add strength?

My stats:
Dips - bodyweight + 90 lbs for 5 reps
Pull ups - bodyweight + 70 lbs for 3 reps
Standing press - 135 lbs for 3 reps
Deadlift - 275 lbs for 6-8 reps
Squat - 235 lbs for 4 reps
Clean& jerk - 155 lbs for 3
Btw why my lats and pecs are small while my core is big?
here’s pics

https://pp.vk.me/c625331/v625331741/420a7/r5PFvda_wyE.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c625331/v625331741/420af/lwUUaEonDyY.jpg

Add 30 lbs

then this: The Zombie Apocalypse Workout

Most likely because your lats are strong but not trained with higher, lighter reps. Bodyweight +70 lbs for three is pretty strong, but you’ll need to hit your upper and middle back with much higher reps to get it bigger. Think Pendlay rows, Kroc rows, machine rows, pulldowns, etc, and of course deadlifts.

Your chest? Because according to your stats you don’t train it much. Dips are the same deal as lats - heavy but low reps. Dips are a great chest builder but you need to do enough of them to get that result.

IMO your midsection isn’t big, by the way.

Heavy low reps are awesome, they’re my bread and butter on the main lifts since I’m a powerlifter but for accesories I go medium to high reps with loads as high as I can tolerate.

Getting bigger won’t hinder how well you move if you do it right (good technique, good recovery, etc), and if you get stronger you’ll pack a lot more power in the octagon. Martin Rooney would be my first port of call since you’re a fighter.

I think the only thing I can offer you personally is that training to get strong in the 1-3 range DOES get you bigger and DOES NOT reduce your ability to move but it takes time and a lot of work and food.

You’ll need to look at how fighters get bigger. Bodybuilders get bigger because that’s what the vast majority of their training time is devoted towards. Powerlifters get bigger because a fair chunk of their training involves lifting heavy loads for pretty high volume even if rep range is small (lots of sets) AND they do a bunch of higher rep accessory work. Fighters need to get good at fighting - getting bigger is always going to be at least a secondary goal.

thank you for the infromation,i have though that i needed to train only in low reps but now i will try out the higher reps

You’ll never look like Conor McGregor, you’ll look like you, no matter how much muscle you add. That’s not bad nor good, everyone looks like themselves due to different muscle attachments/shape/size/genetics etc.

It might be hard in the beginning when you’re young and want to look good as soon as possible but i would focus on performance rather than the look. When you have decent lifts at a given bodyweight, you will not only perform good, but look good as well. So aim increasing the weight on your big compounds and pull ups/dips & fighting.

I remember a coach saying on this site that he never saw some one 200 lbs with small arms who can do strict 12 bodyweight pull ups

I’d suggest you give a look at the following programs & pick one according how much you fight;

Starting Strength - Mark Rippletoe
Athlete Lean Athlete Strong - Christian Thibadeau
WS4SB - Joe Defranco

Good Luck

[quote]mademan1337 wrote:
[/quote]

What you call your ‘core’ is the lower part of your torso - which is full of stuff you need to live, like a stomach, intestines, a liver, spleen, kidneys, a bladder… The muscle is just the icing on top of it, so there is such a thing as a mininum size for it. Right now you don’t really have any imbalances, you just don’t look like a bodybuilder since you don’t train like one.

I do mma and want to build some muscles in gym,but don’t want to lose functionality.I wanna look like the guy on the second picture,where I need to add strength?[/quote]
This is four different goals. Add some size, stay “functional”, look like a certain guy (who weighs almost as much as you while being 4 inches shorter), and add strength.

Pick one goal to work towards for the next three months (minimum), then choose an appropriate training and nutrition plan from the site, and get to work. And in terms of not “losing functionality”, as long as you keep doing MMA, you’ll be fine.

In terms of where do you need to add strength, “all over” is the easy answer, but this article gets a little more in-depth:

Like Mark and Nighthawkz said, your core isn’t “big”, so don’t worry about it.

i thought that guy weight around 160 with really low bodyfat otherwise its a mad weight cut btw im not really about looking like him but to add strength also remaining the taller guy in the weight class,im planning to go 155,maybe 170.

thank you for the infromation,i have though that i needed to train only in low reps but now i will try out the higher reps[/quote]

Low reps are great for strength, but there are some lifts that benefit from higher rep work too even if all you want is strength in the one to three rep range. Pull ups and bench press are two that immediately spring to mind. Squats too IMO, deadlifts not so much.

Hi guys,question about training,I do mma and want to build some muscles in gym,but don’t want to lose functionality.I wanna look like the guy on the second picture,where I need to add strength?

My stats:
Dips - bodyweight + 90 lbs for 5 reps
Pull ups - bodyweight + 70 lbs for 3 reps
Standing press - 135 lbs for 3 reps
Deadlift - 275 lbs for 6-8 reps
Squat - 235 lbs for 4 reps
Clean& jerk - 155 lbs for 3
here’s pics

https://pp.vk.me/c625331/v625331741/420a7/r5PFvda_wyE.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c625331/v625331741/420af/lwUUaEonDyY.jpg
[/quote]
Your core isn’t big, it is that it is normal size and the rest of you is small. For getting bigger while having it transfer well to MMA, I’d say just do strength work, then include some higher rep stuff for your back, pecs, shoulders, etc with controlled eccentric and all of that other weird bodybuilder stuff. :wink:

For programs, maybe try westside for skinny bastards, cube, or westside (in order of how hard it is to fuck the program up starting with hardest to easiest left to right). I’ve tried two out of those three, and I’ve trained similar to the third before, they all work well, and are sound programs.

One last thing I need to stress, you need to gain weight. Don’t go add 30 pounds immediately or whatever ridiculous number you can think of, but do it gradually, you want to gain about 2-3 pounds gained per month, and do that for about a year. After about a year, try losing weight at a nice and steady pace (about a pound per week is good) until you are about as lean as you are now, then repeat the process. You should net a good amount of muscle each time.

It will take awhile to get where you want to be, and it depends on how consistent you are, how dialed in your training and nutrition is, and if you do it assisted or not assisted. You definitely don’t have to be assisted to do it, and I don’t recommend it for legal and health reasons, but it does do amazing things if your training and nutrition is dialed in.

Dips, rows, chins, curls ← 100 reps through out your workout, however you can squeeze them in (not all on the same day and not maximal)
Squats, Press ← 50 reps at the end of your regular squat/press work. Whatever rep scheme you like (don’t do 50 singles or 16x3)

If you really can do dips and pullups with that much added weight just cut the weight in half every other workout and really focus on the stretch position, very slow negatives and getting huge pump in the arms/MMC etc and you will blow up

Taking an “imbalance” to mean that one muscle group seems disproportionate to another, assuming you train the areas in question at all, it’s almost certainly due to genetic factors. We all have disproportionately more muscle fibers and sarcomeres in some muscles than others, and these factors lead to size discrepancies. It doesn’t mean you’re training wrong and most of the time there’s nothing you can do to change it.

i’ve did a lot more high rep work recently and my max strenght increased as well about at 15-20 pounds in almost all lifts except snatch/
can do about 30-40 bodyweight dips and about 15-20 pull ups,max muscle ups in row now is 7.Now i have training priorities. i need to lose some muscles in my back,and gain it in my shoulders and chest,any suggestions?

i’ve did a lot more high rep work recently and my max strenght increased as well about at 15-20 pounds in almost all lifts except snatch/
can do about 30-40 bodyweight dips and about 15-20 pull ups,max muscle ups in row now is 7.Now i have training priorities. i need to lose some muscles in my back,and gain it in my shoulders and chest,any suggestions?[/quote]

You don’t need to lose ANY muscle. What is your specific routine?

im currently 180 lbs,plan to fight in the 155 lbs aka lighweight(yes,with dehydration and all that shit) so i thought that if i will just become bigger there’s no way to safely cut to 155.

and routine
monday
2-hour striking session
tuesday
weighted chin ups
weighted dips
handstand push ups
sprints
battle ropes
wednesday
2-hour grappling and wrestling session
thursday
standing press
snatch
clean and jerk
squats and deads
friday
2 hour sparring session
saturday
push ups
pull ups
all endurance
maybe a 1-1.5 hour heavy bag workout
sunday
rest
sometimes i do shadowboxing in the morning before school and skip rope almost every day.

Jesus tapdancing Christ. Don’t try to as atrophe your muscles. maybe .000001% of the population needs this. Only examples i can think of is some military folks who don’t want their legs rubbing together on long rucks, fitness competitors who want to compete in a class with less development, or hardcore endurance athletes. Your back isn’t too big, your shoulders are too small.

im currently 180 lbs,plan to fight in the 155 lbs aka lighweight(yes,with dehydration and all that shit) so i thought that if i will just become bigger there’s no way to safely cut to 155.[/quote]

So you want to get bigger without weighing more so that you can routinely cut 25lbs of water for your fights?

im 15% bodyfat,and i want to just readjust my muscle mass,if i call it this way.im going to cut about 15-20 pounds of water routinely