Physique Clinic discussion for Barti

I’m a little disappointed there’s not more going on this thread. I’ve been reading all of the threads and Clinics and just soaking up information like a sponge.

[quote]undertheiron wrote:
I’m a little disappointed there’s not more going on this thread. I’ve been reading all of the threads and Clinics and just soaking up information like a sponge.[/quote]

wow, good point. I hadn’t even noticed that Bartl hasn’t posted on here.

Maybe he answers the questions on his Physique Clinic thread.

Well now, I see you have been partying without me!

First I want to apologize for not writing in here sooner, I had no idea this was here until just now. I have been receiving a lot of questions directly and have responded the same way. I have also been posting my answers directly and mostly in my clinic thread.

No fear though, I will start posting in this forum as well from here on out.

I will go through your questions and answer them all, just give me a day or two to catch up and we’re golden!

Please check out my thread in my Clinic page if you haven’t. There I put a lot of my thoughts down and of course the interaction with my coaches is pretty important stuff too.

[quote]Sabastian525 wrote:

Got a supp question for ya too, if you can help me with this. I’ve tried dosing glutamine in the past up to 20g, and it always gave me the volcanic emergency shits something terrible. How are you doing with 60g? Did you have any troubles at first? Which brand are you using? Just wondering.

Stay strong,
-Sab[/quote]

Sab, I wish that was true for me as well. I have never taken Glutamine before now but I can honestly say that it hasn’t given me the shits. Nothing has…and I like my shits! What guy doesn’t?

I haven’t had no troubles with the Glutamine except for the price. I got it at GNC (huge mistake) for like $80. I found the same brand and the same weight and Trader Joe’s for like $30.

The brand is just some random generic brand. CT actually talks about glutamine on my Clinic thread, check end of page one or page two for that one.

[quote]Dave2 wrote:
Oooooh, pics of the SURGE Workout Fuel in his clinic thread! Nice.

Looks like the BCAA’s got a new label too since the last time I ordered. [/quote]

It tastes better than it looks…trust me.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Hey fellow San Diegan!

Good luck with everything. I am looking forward to watching your progress.

Glad you got out to the beach.

I do coffee some mornings at Torrey Pines.

I bet you still froze out there!

Celeste[/quote]

Actually I’m up in Santa Barbara. The kid who dropped out was from SD. I will be down in that next of the woods though at the end of January!

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Hey as far as traveling with powders and stuff, they actually make little “snack” size ziplock bags, that are perfect for a serving of Surge recovery (I know nothing about the new Surge-- you lucky bastard! :-p), so I’ll pack up my Surge individually, as far as protein powder and stuff, maybe a freezer size bag, just dump it in there, even maybe with the scoop, because it’ll take up less room in your bags that way!

Be careful what foods you’re bringing through security, I usually have a “close call” every time I’m at the airport with something or another (sprint cleats, chili, random stuff) haha. Keep kicking butt![/quote]

What I did was, I put everything powder wise I needed into freezer bags and sent them via UPS. When they saw me walking in with 4 plastic bags full of powder and dressed in a suit, they asked if I was sending something to South America!

I said no, just Washington and the guy looked at me and was like, “if it ain’t drugs its probably soy”.

I shook my head and smiled.

[quote]jarc wrote:
sche0584 wrote:
For the following workout, I noticed that you did 5 sets. How much rest did you take between sets (i.e. circuit)? I tried this one last night in circuit fashion with 2 minutes rest between a circuit and it totally kicked my ass at the end!

A1) Incline DB Press – reps: 12-15
3-0-1-0 tempo
A2) Leg Press – reps: 15-20
4-0-1-0 tempo
A3) DB Row – reps: 12-15
2-0-1-0 tempo
A4) Lunges – reps: 12-15
2-0-1-0 tempo
A5) Barbell Curl: reps 12-15
2-0-1-0

This was done in circuit fashion with the only rest coming between moving from one exercise to the next.

This looks like something from
Destroying Fat
War Room Strategies to Maximize Fat Loss
by CT

I don’t think there is supposed to be rest until the specific number of sets of the circuit are done? I believe this is a lactate inducing day. Of course I could be wrong?

[/quote]

You are right. There is no rest between sets, you just continually move from one exercise to the next with no more than 10 seconds rest between each exercise. The only time I take longer is between set 2 and set 4 and that is because I am taking my BCAA’s.

Hey man I was reading through your Physique Clinic and I noticed you were snowboarding in Washington. My favorite place to board is up there and is known for getting a ton of powder. Are you by any chance at Baker? If so have fun and rip!

[quote]ravell wrote:
Hey man I was reading through your physique clinic and I noticed you were snowboarding in Washington. My favorite place to board is up there and is known for getting a ton of powder. Are you by any chance at Baker? If so have fun and rip![/quote]

I actually live 57 miles from Baker and have been riding there since I was 4. I am going up there tomorrow and will try and post a couple pictures in this thread for all to enjoy. They are supposed to get a shit load of snow by then. Right now its 38 degrees and raining here in town so it is dumping on the mountain!

[quote]fatInIC wrote:
CT says: “Ok, time to explain the logic behind your program.
As I mentioned your first objective should be to lose fat…”

I am in violent agreement with what CT says on this matter. But I’d like to add a question if I may.

There are two extremes to weight lose: 1) lock yourself in a cage for 2 months and you’ll loose a lot of weight (fat, and muscle, and shut down your metabolism – and possibly get sick and die), or 2) loose very small amounts over a very long time (for example 1/10 of a pound every 2 weeks – which is essentially so little you’d question whether you are loosing any weight at all). Clearly we need a happy medium in between.

How do you plan to find this medium point for Barti? Are you using the Daily Expenditure Estimate equation? Care to share the numbers with us voyeurs?

Hang in there Barti.[/quote]

There is no equation and there is no magic formula. All I am doing is believing in the diet and slow/long cardio. CT had a great post in my Clinic thread regarding using cardio as a catalyst for fat burning.

All I am doing is trying to focus on getting better each day. I can physically tell that I am losing surface area because I am tightening up my belt tighter, my jeans are fitting looser, a pair of pants that I haven’t worn in about a year fits…etc.

So it’s working.

Wow, good work here. I’m on the Velocity Diet. At first losing fat is annoying because it never seems to melt from where you really want it to… you know, the gut! First thing that happened with me is my arms, legs and face started leaning out. That’s great, but what about my stupid belly?

I guess fat is on the seniority system. The belly fat usually has been there the longest, so it’s the last to go! :slight_smile:

[quote]Bartl wrote:
ravell wrote:
Hey man I was reading through your physique clinic and I noticed you were snowboarding in Washington. My favorite place to board is up there and is known for getting a ton of powder. Are you by any chance at Baker? If so have fun and rip!

I actually live 57 miles from Baker and have been riding there since I was 4. I am going up there tomorrow and will try and post a couple pictures in this thread for all to enjoy. They are supposed to get a shit load of snow by then. Right now its 38 degrees and raining here in town so it is dumping on the mountain!

[/quote]

Lucky you! I did my share of skiing at Baker. I just love the west coast rain, it mean snow in the hills, just hope it’s not too peanut-buttery, that place is unreal for temp. inversions. We’ve had about 70cm in Montreal over the past couple weeks, so the hills in Vermont are calling…unless the temp drops a lot, skiing in -20 with a wind chill sucks. Man I miss Vancouver.
Have a great holiday!
db

[quote]dianab wrote:
Bartl wrote:
ravell wrote:
Hey man I was reading through your physique clinic and I noticed you were snowboarding in Washington. My favorite place to board is up there and is known for getting a ton of powder. Are you by any chance at Baker? If so have fun and rip!

Lucky you! I did my share of skiing at Baker. I just love the west coast rain, it mean snow in the hills, just hope it’s not too peanut-buttery, that place is unreal for temp. inversions. We’ve had about 70cm in Montreal over the past couple weeks, so the hills in Vermont are calling…unless the temp drops a lot, skiing in -20 with a wind chill sucks. Man I miss Vancouver.
Have a great holiday!
db
[/quote]

I just got back from snowboarding and my legs are fried. I spent all morning riding in 3 feet of untouched snow and I even did a 35 minute hike up a ridge to get some perfect snow. But then the snow level rose up 700 feet and it started to rain.

My calves got worked as well, snowboarding is a great calf workout.

Now I’m tired now and am looking forward my cheat meal of lasagna!

I found the coolest hole in the wall gym today. I walk in and its a converted industrial garage, with the big metal cross beams still showing. I smelt like blood and sweat and mold. It was dark, there wasn’t hardly any heat in the place, there was only one bench, one incline, one decline and one squat rack. Dumbbells that went up to 130 and a universal machine with cables and pulldown stations.

Great gym and the people there were super nice. I wish all gym’s could be like that.

[quote]Bartl wrote:
I found the coolest hole in the wall gym today. I walk in and its a converted industrial garage, with the big metal cross beams still showing. I smelt like blood and sweat and mold. It was dark, there wasn’t hardly any heat in the place, there was only one bench, one incline, one decline and one squat rack. Dumbbells that went up to 130 and a universal machine with cables and pulldown stations.

Great gym and the people there were super nice. I wish all gym’s could be like that.[/quote]

AWESOME. I wish my gym was like that. Would scare away all the frat boys “two-man benching” and curling in the squat rack. Sign up, you will get strong in a place like that!

-Sab

Wow. Three feet of untouched powder and four and a half straight hours of snowboarding later, I am tired as hell, my legs are really, really fried and I have a ear to ear grin that will not go away for a while.

[quote]Bartl wrote:

Great gym and the people there were super nice. I wish all gym’s could be like that.[/quote]

Sounds awesome!

You’re doing great, Bartl. Just know you have another person following along and rooting for ya!

Bartl,

I have been following your posts. Out of all the fellas, I am pulling for you the most. I do not hope you achieve your goals, I want you to achieve your goals! Through determination you can overcome adversity!!!

Hey man,
Just wanted to say keep up the great work. Sounds like an awesome gym you came across too!