T Nation

Physique Clinic discussion for Barti

[physClinDiscussion]18[/physClinDiscussion]

Chris and Chris,

I really like the ‘physique clinic’ so I wanted to start a thread. I’m interested in following the progression of your ‘clients.’ Hang in there guys (novagreg, Bartl, bizarre, and CrewPierce) – it is sure to get tough. I think novagreg and Bartl have a long road ahead (being a little older and heavier than bizarre and CrewPierce). Anyone with commitments outside of their health (job, family, school, etc.) knows that it is a balancing act – and there are only so many hours in the day.

I also liked the following two suggestions from the “coaches.” 1) Evaluate the people around you for “toxic people” ( http://www.T-Nation.com/...le.do?id=636910 ) and
2) it will get very difficult, but if you follow the plan, you cannot fail.

Another think I like to do is enter the items I plan to eat in my food log before I actually sit down to eat. Just gives more more control over what I eat and fits in with the idea of “staying with the plan.”

Good stuff – I’m currently trying to adopt this in my efforts.

Finally, Thibs told both novagreg and Bartl the following:

"… .only … use…:

• vinegar
  • salt
  • pepper
  • spices

No sauces, ketchup, mustard, etc."

I suspect alternatives like “Frank’s hot sauce” and “tabasco sauce” would be appropriate – since they have virtually no carbs or calories. Just curious if Thibs agrees. Good luck.

I think this is amazing. And I am watching very closely.

I really have hopes that they all reach their goals. I am always watching. This will be great to pick up little ideas here and there from these amazing coaches.

Oooooh, pics of the SURGE Workout Fuel in his clinic thread! Nice.

Looks like the BCAA’s got a new label too since the last time I ordered.

Hey man, nice work on the first 3 days! That’s awesome that you actually went surfing, it’s snowing here in the suburbs outside of Philadelphia, PA :slight_smile:

Hey fellow San Diegan!

Good luck with everything. I am looking forward to watching your progress.

Glad you got out to the beach.

I do coffee some mornings at Torrey Pines.

I bet you still froze out there!

Celeste

CT says: “Ok, time to explain the logic behind your program.
As I mentioned your first objective should be to lose fat…”

I am in violent agreement with what CT says on this matter. But I’d like to add a question if I may.

There are two extremes to weight lose: 1) lock yourself in a cage for 2 months and you’ll loose a lot of weight (fat, and muscle, and shut down your metabolism – and possibly get sick and die), or 2) loose very small amounts over a very long time (for example 1/10 of a pound every 2 weeks – which is essentially so little you’d question whether you are loosing any weight at all). Clearly we need a happy medium in between.

How do you plan to find this medium point for Barti? Are you using the Daily Expenditure Estimate equation? Care to share the numbers with us voyeurs?

Hang in there Barti.

Hey man, hope you’re doing well after wrapping up 1 week (almost). Check in with me whenever you feel like it bro.
-Greg

Thibs says “You can have lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts or cucumbers (although I don’t think you like them).”

I don’t want to rock the boat and think you should do exactly what Thibs says, but I’m curious why spinach isn’t on the list? Also – keep in mind there are different kinds of lettuce – I like romaine much better than iceberg (I don’t know if Thibs has specified the “kind” of lettuce.)

For the following workout, I noticed that you did 5 sets. How much rest did you take between sets (i.e. circuit)? I tried this one last night in circuit fashion with 2 minutes rest between a circuit and it totally kicked my ass at the end!

A1) Incline DB Press – reps: 12-15
3-0-1-0 tempo
A2) Leg Press – reps: 15-20
4-0-1-0 tempo
A3) DB Row – reps: 12-15
2-0-1-0 tempo
A4) Lunges – reps: 12-15
2-0-1-0 tempo
A5) Barbell Curl: reps 12-15
2-0-1-0

This was done in circuit fashion with the only rest coming between moving from one exercise to the next.

[quote]sche0584 wrote:
For the following workout, I noticed that you did 5 sets. How much rest did you take between sets (i.e. circuit)? I tried this one last night in circuit fashion with 2 minutes rest between a circuit and it totally kicked my ass at the end!

A1) Incline DB Press – reps: 12-15
3-0-1-0 tempo
A2) Leg Press – reps: 15-20
4-0-1-0 tempo
A3) DB Row – reps: 12-15
2-0-1-0 tempo
A4) Lunges – reps: 12-15
2-0-1-0 tempo
A5) Barbell Curl: reps 12-15
2-0-1-0

This was done in circuit fashion with the only rest coming between moving from one exercise to the next.
[/quote]

This looks like something from
Destroying Fat
War Room Strategies to Maximize Fat Loss
by CT

I don’t think there is supposed to be rest until the specific number of sets of the circuit are done? I believe this is a lactate inducing day. Of course I could be wrong?

Why is your workout on the 13th called a pipe workout?

I am betting it is something obvious, but I just don’t know.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I am betting it is something obvious, but I just don’t know.[/quote]

He called it the “pipe” workout, because he is referrering to his arms or “guns” :smiley:

[quote]sche0584 wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I am betting it is something obvious, but I just don’t know.

He called it the “pipe” workout, because he is referrering to his arms or “guns” :smiley:

[/quote]

OH!!! well see I wouldn’t have guessed that.

Thanks!

Hey as far as traveling with powders and stuff, they actually make little “snack” size ziplock bags, that are perfect for a serving of Surge recovery (I know nothing about the new Surge-- you lucky bastard! :-p), so I’ll pack up my Surge individually, as far as protein powder and stuff, maybe a freezer size bag, just dump it in there, even maybe with the scoop, because it’ll take up less room in your bags that way!

Be careful what foods you’re bringing through security, I usually have a “close call” every time I’m at the airport with something or another (sprint cleats, chili, random stuff) haha. Keep kicking butt!

Hey man, keep up the great work.

-Greg

Bartl got the munchies!

you can do it fella.

food is fuel, that is it.

you only have 10-weeks to go.

Hey Barti! I’ve been following the Bizarre plan, so even though we’re following much different diets, it’s fun to see how many parallels our lives are taking.

Just today one of my coworkers brought in TWO CAKES, and she was walking around taking orders, “Do you want chocolate or raspberry?” I just looked at her and said “No thanks.”

I caught a lot of shit for it, got called a lot of names, “Mr. Healthy” was one that stuck out, from the skinniest girl there too…whatever, I just gnawed on my turkey and broccoli I had brought that day.

Everybody was all “but it’s her birthday, you HAVE TO eat cake!” Listen, I don’t HAVE TO do anything. It’s my body, my life.

This holiday we’re going to be figuratively raped by all this goddamn cake, and you’ll just have to remember, it’s YOUR body, YOUR life. You don’t HAVE to do a damn thing. Worst case, like Shugs said, just get up and leave. It might seem cocky, but arrogance is earned.

Got a supp question for ya too, if you can help me with this. I’ve tried dosing glutamine in the past up to 20g, and it always gave me the volcanic emergency shits something terrible. How are you doing with 60g? Did you have any troubles at first? Which brand are you using? Just wondering.

Stay strong,
-Sab

LOL, work people are the worst!! For years I was the fat guy who ate like shit, and carried his weight well under clothes. Everyone liked that guy, because he was safe, fat, and someone you could look at and say " at least I am not like that".

About 5 years ago I started to slowly change mentally, and the rest followed. Now, everyone hates to be around me, they hate that I am changing, they hate that I eat too much broccoli, they hate that I am stronger, more dedicated, and they especially hate that I changed my entire existence.

I have gotten more shit for healthy choices x 1000 than I ever got for eating 3 jumbo double chocolate muffins for breakfast with a 6 pack of Cola. As a matter of fact, back then, people would open the soda for me if my grubby, chubby, chocolate stained, sausage fingers were occupied double fisting the delicious fat-makers.

I have had “well-meaning” ladies at work actually make me a plate of 3 or 4 slices of pizza and bring it to my office when I didn’t show up for the free pizza in the break room.

Hell, before, they wouldn’t even tell me for fear of not getting any. Now they cant tell me quick enough, hoping to day will be the day that I break!

I am not safe anymore, I am not fun anymore, I am not that guy anymore

And they fricking hate that! I have a loooong way to go, but to them it doesn’t matter, to them, I am now the enemy, and I must be stopped.

I went to lunch with a co-worker yesterday. I ordered a Caesar’s salad, no dressing, no croutons, added 2 chicken breasts, hard-boiled egg, vinegar and oil on the side, and a spoon (so I could measure the oil). Co-worker gives me a funny look – and I make the mistake of trying to explain that I’m tracking my macro-nutrient ratios, and calories.

Co-worker tells me that my diet sounds “crazy.”

[quote]Ruszx wrote:
LOL, work people are the worst!! For years I was the fat guy who ate like shit, and carried his weight well under clothes. Everyone liked that guy, because he was safe, fat, and someone you could look at and say " at least I am not like that".

About 5 years ago I started to slowly change mentally, and the rest followed. Now, everyone hates to be around me, they hate that I am changing, they hate that I eat too much broccoli, they hate that I am stronger, more dedicated, and they especially hate that I changed my entire existence.

I have gotten more shit for healthy choices x 1000 than I ever got for eating 3 jumbo double chocolate muffins for breakfast with a 6 pack of Cola. As a matter of fact, back then, people would open the soda for me if my grubby, chubby, chocolate stained, sausage fingers were occupied double fisting the delicious fat-makers.

I have had “well-meaning” ladies at work actually make me a plate of 3 or 4 slices of pizza and bring it to my office when I didn’t show up for the free pizza in the break room.

Hell, before, they wouldn’t even tell me for fear of not getting any. Now they cant tell me quick enough, hoping to day will be the day that I break!

I am not safe anymore, I am not fun anymore, I am not that guy anymore

And they fricking hate that! I have a loooong way to go, but to them it doesn’t matter, to them, I am now the enemy, and I must be stopped.[/quote]