Physique Athlete/Fitness Model Training?

Since everything has been pretty much covered already I just want to add that Greg Pitt is a fucking beast, and is most certainly not small.

Lmao, having a huge dude up there trollin would crack me up.

Wear super small board shorts that rip the seam when you do that dancing crap and let your nutsack fall out.

In all seriousness though those dudes linked are actually pretty house, just not bulging 250+ house that pro BB are. But to assume they are BB - (GH + slin) is a stretch.

Chris was the only one who got really real with you, OP. Just focus on putting on some lbs right now.

Also, make sure when you’re ready to go pro like the guys you linked, walk into your local pharmacy and say, “Gimme all your cell tech. All of it.”

And before I get a ton of criticism…

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/the_drug_coach

Now maybe you’ll get to the point where you have to decide if you want to go that route or not, or whether you need to modify your training or not to meet particular goals, but you are so so far away right now it’s almost silly. It’s like the equivalent of asking how to get get on the astronaut track or the jet-fighter track when you don’t even have a driver’s license.

Just pick one of the many established routines you can find on this site and eat heartily and healthfully and re-evaluate in a couple years.

^^That was an excellent article you linked, thanks for it

You’re welcome. T-Nation is a gold mine of cool articles.

The physique guys that you named are all damn big dudes, just less drugs than IFBB pro bb’ers

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
My training goal has always been to look more like a physique athlete/fitness model, than a bodybuilder.[/quote]
Your goals are your own thing and that’s fine.

But as a 17-year old dude who weighs less than 130 pounds, please understand that wanting to look like a physique competitor or fitness model versus wanting to look like a bodybuilder has precisely zero impact on how you should be training right now, and probably for the next year or two really.

Train everything (back, chest, arms, legs, calves, everything) and eat plenty. You need to build muscle to get towards your goals. Gain 40 pounds and you’ll end up looking one way. Gain 90 pounds and you’ll have a different look. But how about we focus on gaining the first 15 or 20 and see where that goes.[/quote]

Thanks to everyone for all of the responses!
I’m only going to respond to a few though (I don’t have years to type this stuff out).

First, Chris.
Thanks for the honest response, Chris. A quick correction though, the stats are way out of date. I currently weigh just over 140lbs (still lean with abs though- not that it matters much- just adding context to the type of weight gained). I am also only 5.57 feet tall at the moment (so I still have a lot of ‘upward growing’ to do too). Not that that’s an excuse, I fully acknowledge that I have a ton of work to do, I’m just contextualizing. Perhaps I’ll put up a progress thread sometime with pictures once I have a few spare minutes.

I certainly didn’t plan on changing my training now, or leaving out certain body parts/lifts. I was mostly asking because I was curious. I also thought that there was a marginal chance (<5%) that some kind of different training from an earlier stage can be beneficial when striving for a particular look, but even if that was the case, I wasn’t planning on changing what I’m doing currently till I’ve put on more weight. Long story short- I’m curious. Don’t worry, I’ll still be hitting the squats, deads, military presses, pull-ups, rows and bench presses for a while yet.

Also, to all the guys who said that I don’t realize how big the physique athletes are- I don’t think you did me justice :wink: . I realize completely. I was simply accounting for the fact that they’re all considerably smaller than bodybuilders (i.e. the guys you see in bodybuilding shows, not physique shows/fitness magazine covers). When I spoke about them having less of a mass gain period than bodybuilders, I was talking in terms of 7-8 years instead of 10-15, etc. I was by no means implying that they don’t have to spend a ton of time gaining mass- merely that the time would, on average, be shorter than that of an athlete who wants to compete in BBing shows.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
A lot of Physique athletes train just like bodybuilders, except of course their legs, until they’ve got a decent foundation. Then, many of them alter their training specifically to target muscle groups that are important to the ‘look’, while backing off considerably from others. I don’t think you’d find any competitor who would shy away from adding ‘size’ , but in the division you’re discussing, it’s more about a specific look and set of proportions that is the goal. As such, adding in certain areas can either enhance, or detract from the desired effect.

I know a good handful of guys who compete in this division. While some are former wanna-be bodybuilders and aside from lacking quad development, have trained in typical bodybuilder bodypart split fashion for years, a couple are younger, and to be honest, don’t have much size, but due to their naturally smaller frame, they’re focusing solely on their ‘show’ muscles (chest,back, delts), and little to no work on everything else.

While I can’t state this is always the case (ie. Greg Plit trained his whole body like a bodybuilder for years, but I have no clue what he’s doing now) it’s merely the impression I take away from the Physique guys I’m close with.

S[/quote]

Thanks for this post, Stu! It’s exactly the kind of information I’d wanted. I suspected that their training may be like this (it’s intuitive), but it’s really nice to have the confirmation.

Thanks again.

Another quick question though (for everyone):
Most of the responses so far have been related to their size, and how they put it on. My question then is, where do the physique athletes focus once they have a base? Arms? Shoulders? Abs? How do their abs always look so incredibly ‘clean’ and ‘smooth’? Far better than most BBers I’ve seen. Please don’t say ‘genetics’ or ‘photoshop’, that’s kinda obvious. I’m sure that there must be some kind of training element.

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
Another quick question though (for everyone):
Most of the responses so far have been related to their size, and how they put it on. My question then is, where do the physique athletes focus once they have a base? Arms? Shoulders? Abs?
[/quote]
That is completely individual and depends on What areas that individual lifters wants to improve on.

Drugs, Genetics & photoshop lol
There isn’t a secret.
They train their abs, are incredibly lean/dry and have good AB genetics.
No secret training element.

Physique guys take gH, there is NO reason not too if they can afford it. It will give them that 3d look they desire, make taht shit pop.

This was just posted in another thread but take a look at this photo.
Same guy, just less size and a different (think “less”) drug routine.
What do you get?
Voila!!!
“Better” (personal opinion I guess) looking absominals.

what gives the bloated gut then? just a fuckload of drugs in general, or are there specific compounds?

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
what gives the bloated gut then? just a fuckload of drugs in general, or are there specific compounds?[/quote]

Food food more food. Then many suspect insulin as well.

Can someone explain the point of wearing long board shorts on stage? It’s like going to a car show, but nobody opens the hood of the cars.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:
What do you get?
Voila!!!
“Better” (personal opinion I guess) looking absominals.[/quote]
It’s weird how is traps shrunk. And sad as well.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:

What do you get?
Voila!!!
It’s weird how is traps shrunk. And sad as well. [/quote]

The biggest guy I’ve ever personally known (not just a gym acquaintance, but my actual buddy) told me that looking at someone’s traps was the biggest indicator of aas usage. He claimed the traps would blow up and take on a more prominent, imposing shape.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

What do you get?
Voila!!!

The biggest guy I’ve ever personally known (not just a gym acquaintance, but my actual buddy) told me that looking at someone’s traps was the biggest indicator of aas usage. He claimed the traps would blow up and take on a more prominent, imposing shape.[/quote]

Supposedly traps and shoulders are supposed to have a greater concentration of ANdrogen receptors so they grow disproportionally

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

What do you get?
Voila!!!

The biggest guy I’ve ever personally known (not just a gym acquaintance, but my actual buddy) told me that looking at someone’s traps was the biggest indicator of aas usage. He claimed the traps would blow up and take on a more prominent, imposing shape.[/quote]

Supposedly traps and shoulders are supposed to have a greater concentration of ANdrogen receptors so they grow disproportionally [/quote]
^this^
Allegedly capped delts and traps that really “pop” are usually because of AAS use and the androgen receptors like Ryan said.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

What do you get?
Voila!!!

Supposedly traps and shoulders are supposed to have a greater concentration of ANdrogen receptors so they grow disproportionally [/quote]
^this^
Allegedly capped delts and traps that really “pop” are usually because of AAS use and the androgen receptors like Ryan said.[/quote]

Well the capped delts part is also because the lateral delt is a very common pinning site, and while it’s not exactly SEO it’s still oil that doesn’t magically absorb instantly.