T Nation

Physique Athlete/Fitness Model Training?

Hi Everyone

My training goal has always been to look more like a physique athlete/fitness model, than a bodybuilder. No disrespect to the bodybuilders, I still think that they look awesome and I love their lifestyle/culture, but its just not the look that I want for myself. I guess the 'look freaky' bug never bit.

To give some examples of the physiques I'm talking about:
Greg Plitt: http://www.google.com/search?q=greg+plitt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=e7EpUtvUHOGj0QW_-4DwAw

Alexandre Carneiro: http://www.google.com/search?q=alexandre+carneiro&um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&tab=wi&oq=alexandre+carneiro&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l2.67031.71793.0.72126.19.14.0.0.0.0.356.2437.2-3j5.8.0....0...1c.1.24.img..11.8.2435.F5tJ4pK5fRY

Rob Riches: http://www.google.com/search?q=rob+riches&um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&tab=wi&oq=rob+riches&gs_l=img.3..0l10.40041.41166.0.41235.10.6.0.0.0.0.354.354.3-1.1.0....0...1c.1.24.img..9.1.353.-BLoQFgmm68

Lazar Angelov: http://www.google.com/search?q=lazar+angelov&um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&tab=wi&oq=lazar+angelov&gs_l=img.3..0l10.12058.14410.0.14656.13.8.0.5.5.0.526.1047.2-2j5-1.3.0....0...1c.1.24.img..5.8.1070.HiaYohVRZ54

etc.

So, my question is, do physique athletes and fitness models train significantly differently to bodybuilders? I had always assumed that, whilst bodybuilders and physique athletes both go through mass phases (bulking) and cutting phases, the physique athletes just spend less time adding size. But, I'm starting to feel as if this isn't the case, and that the physique athletes do train slightly differently to achieve different aesthetics (my apologies for using the 'A' word).

Perhaps they just focus more on certain body parts, for a 'strategic imbalance'?
Perhaps they do simply add less size?

I'd greatly appreciate some enlightening.
Thanks!
Fyzjin2

This is much more my style too. I remember getting up early on Saturdays to watch Lee Haney’s show when I was like 7, but i never wanted to be huge, just ripped. Interested to see what thoughts are about the training styles.

Now I’m sure this will devolve into the discussion that we know is coming in five posts or less…

Not sure if you understand just how big those guys are.

A lot of Physique athletes train just like bodybuilders, except of course their legs, until they’ve got a decent foundation. Then, many of them alter their training specifically to target muscle groups that are important to the ‘look’, while backing off considerably from others. I don’t think you’d find any competitor who would shy away from adding ‘size’ , but in the division you’re discussing, it’s more about a specific look and set of proportions that is the goal. As such, adding in certain areas can either enhance, or detract from the desired effect.

I know a good handful of guys who compete in this division. While some are former wanna-be bodybuilders and aside from lacking quad development, have trained in typical bodybuilder bodypart split fashion for years, a couple are younger, and to be honest, don’t have much size, but due to their naturally smaller frame, they’re focusing solely on their ‘show’ muscles (chest,back, delts), and little to no work on everything else.

While I can’t state this is always the case (ie. Greg Plit trained his whole body like a bodybuilder for years, but I have no clue what he’s doing now) it’s merely the impression I take away from the Physique guys I’m close with.

S

[quote]Waittz wrote:
Not sure if you understand just how big those guys are. [/quote]

x2

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

samsies…

I’m gonna clarify that I love leg day right now. That whole idea of avoiding body parts gives me a sad.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

Those guys will stand out quite a bit from their size. The biggest difference I see in physique at least with the top competitors is they have a more old school Bber look rather than the mass monsters of today. The top physique guys are training just like Bbers.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

Those guys will stand out quite a bit from their size. The biggest difference I see in physique at least with the top competitors is they have a more old school Bber look rather than the mass monsters of today. The top physique guys are training just like Bbers. [/quote]
I actually started to post pretty much this exact thing. What they call “physique” today could really just be called “old-school bodybuilding” (except you’d need to do make sure you did legs). And of course unless you’re dead set on getting that freak mass that you need for actual modern bodybuilding, the physique look is where it’s at man. And you’ll definitely have to bodybuild your ass off to get there.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

Those guys will stand out quite a bit from their size. The biggest difference I see in physique at least with the top competitors is they have a more old school Bber look rather than the mass monsters of today. The top physique guys are training just like Bbers. [/quote]

x4

look at Jaco’s split

very much bodybuilder-esque

Greg has his own site with a ton of training videos and has a free training program on that other bodybuilding site if you want an idea on what he does.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

you forgot to mention the pink board shorts, the dyed hair, the creepy and embaressing posing/dance moves… The aesthetics(well the judging part of no legs is just stupid) is very admirable and respectable, the actual competitions are a mockery to the sport.

These are the two champs for mr florida this year, tall and short for physique. The spins and twirls and stuff… this just is awful. And these two guys are studs, i mean just fantastic physiques, and they have to do this foo foo stuff.

Jump to 1:35 to see what I mean. Also for the record, this cat has some seriously legs that are forced to be hidden.

Nothing to add here, seems like it’s all been covered.

If those top guys “fluffed up” a bit from their photo shoot condition to around 15% BF or so everyone would thi k they were HYOOOOOGE! lol

Those guys are pretty big

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

you forgot to mention the pink board shorts, the dyed hair, the creepy and embaressing posing/dance moves… The aesthetics(well the judging part of no legs is just stupid) is very admirable and respectable, the actual competitions are a mockery to the sport.

These are the two champs for mr florida this year, tall and short for physique. The spins and twirls and stuff… this just is awful. And these two guys are studs, i mean just fantastic physiques, and they have to do this foo foo stuff.

Jump to 1:35 to see what I mean. Also for the record, this cat has some seriously legs that are forced to be hidden. [/quote]

Dude in the pink has the creepiest fucking smile.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

Jump to 1:35 to see what I mean. Also for the record, this cat has some seriously legs that are forced to be hidden. [/quote]

Oh I agree this the judging is stupid and it does seem to attract those time of personalities that enjoy those dance moves ect. But I would personally rather wear pink shorts than a man thong. The judging needs to be changed and same with posing. Also legs should be included but not to point where you need 28inch conditioned thunder thighs.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:
Nothing to add here, seems like it’s all been covered.

If those top guys “fluffed up” a bit from their photo shoot condition to around 15% BF or so everyone would thi k they were HYOOOOOGE! lol

Those guys are pretty big[/quote]

Lolz. I am gonna do that I want to be huge.

[quote]Fyzjin2 wrote:
My training goal has always been to look more like a physique athlete/fitness model, than a bodybuilder.[/quote]
Your goals are your own thing and that’s fine.

But as a 17-year old dude who weighs less than 130 pounds, please understand that wanting to look like a physique competitor or fitness model versus wanting to look like a bodybuilder has precisely zero impact on how you should be training right now, and probably for the next year or two really.

Train everything (back, chest, arms, legs, calves, everything) and eat plenty. You need to build muscle to get towards your goals. Gain 40 pounds and you’ll end up looking one way. Gain 90 pounds and you’ll have a different look. But how about we focus on gaining the first 15 or 20 and see where that goes.

Physique = bodybuilding - (GH + insulin) + bragging on instagram about how you still squat heavy and train legs even though no one cares and really you should spend some of that time on your calves

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

Dude in the pink has the creepiest fucking smile.[/quote]
Ya that guy in the pink looks like a total creep.
No where in the almighty physique rule book does it say you have to pose and pivot like a marionette on stage.
Looks like some moves straight out of this video

Just pose like a normal person

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

x2[/quote]

X3.

Dude in the pink has the creepiest fucking smile.[/quote]
Ya that guy in the pink looks like a total creep.
No where in the almighty physique rule book does it say you have to pose and pivot like a marionette on stage.
Looks like some moves straight out of this video

Just pose like a normal person [/quote]

I actually think it would be awesome to see Bauber troll a physique comp.