Physically Can Not High Bar Squat

It is impossible to analyze what is wrong with a movement without a video of them performing the movement.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
It is impossible to analyze what is wrong with a movement without a video of them performing the movement. [/quote]

Word.

Many trainees (me included) say that they do one thing wrong but actually do a bunch of other things wrong.

my 2cents is that you should read this

It could be a mobility issue/leverage issue, it could be form issues, or it could be a combination of the 2.

I have never performed a high bar squat in my life, and truth be told have no idea if I could even if I wanted to.

TC: Be aware that a high bar squat, much like pretty much any other movement under the sun, is not a necessary movement to reach your goals, unless your goal is simply “be able to high bar squat”. If that is the case, carry on, but otherwise, you may not be masking a “problem” by not doing high bar squats, but instead simply minimizing the amount of time you spend working on something that is unnecessary for your success.

[quote]Pearsy92 wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
Go on a 5x5 program.

Start with the bar. Play with your stance until comfortable.

When your form turns sloppy/stiff/improper, re-set, deload and keep moving forward.

Once you reach 225, go back to prior programming.

And I did not know you could get bigger legs by just moving the bar a few inches on your back…[/quote]

Its not the weight, I can’t squat high bar properly with no weight or an empty bar, it is mobility problems.

And splitting the high bar and low bar into categories determined on just bar placement is not very true.

For example when I low bar squat I break at the hip, have a forward trunk lean and stretch my hamstrings, on a high bar squat you drop down not back, you stay vertical and you don’t use hip drive to drive up, you drive up with your chest.

I think these are huge differences, if there were not huge differences people wouldn’t be able to squat more weight easier with low bar.

compare this:

to this:

Compare both to this:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]Pearsy92 wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:
Go on a 5x5 program.

Start with the bar. Play with your stance until comfortable.

When your form turns sloppy/stiff/improper, re-set, deload and keep moving forward.

Once you reach 225, go back to prior programming.

And I did not know you could get bigger legs by just moving the bar a few inches on your back…[/quote]

Its not the weight, I can’t squat high bar properly with no weight or an empty bar, it is mobility problems.

And splitting the high bar and low bar into categories determined on just bar placement is not very true.

For example when I low bar squat I break at the hip, have a forward trunk lean and stretch my hamstrings, on a high bar squat you drop down not back, you stay vertical and you don’t use hip drive to drive up, you drive up with your chest.

I think these are huge differences, if there were not huge differences people wouldn’t be able to squat more weight easier with low bar.

compare this:

to this:

Compare both to this:

The above cuban weightlifter Idalberto Arranda competed at 54kg and 76kg and squatted 280kg.

Andrey Malanichev is 148kg and squats 460kg, so both are over 3 times bodyweight.

However my point was not who is more impressive, rather there is a massive difference in squat styles beyond just the bar being a few inches higher or lower.

I did not post the vid for people to marvel at his strength.

Nevermind.

I stand by my original recommendation. I will now add: Do Limber 11 before EVERY work out.

Or keep complaining that you can’t high bar squat.

Also, different people squat different ways.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Why insist on squatting high bar?

If your goal is to squat big weights you should use whatever is best for you to progress. If the goal is hypertrophy the squat may not be the best exercise for you if you are not built for it.[/quote]

I agree with you from a training point of view, high bar squats aren’t essential for any training goal, but if I think it would be wise to deal with some mobility issues anyway. If his mobility is already this compromised, how bad could it get in 20/30/40 years time?[/quote]

I agree. But the ability to high bar squat well is more dependant on individual leverages than mobility, which is what i’m trying to tell him.

[/quote]

We agree again, it seems to be a habit. The OP has highlighted some mobility (not leverage) issues that I think he should be dealing with though

your starting to sound like a stubburn idiot at this point. Post a video and get help or keep arguing about styles. You need to squat to get big legs period. If you think you cant get big strong legs from low bar do me a favor and tell that to 90% of all powerlifters.

You don’t have to squat high bar.

But I do think you should be capable of squatting high bar. So yeah, work on your mobility. A lot. DAILY.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Why insist on squatting high bar?

If your goal is to squat big weights you should use whatever is best for you to progress. If the goal is hypertrophy the squat may not be the best exercise for you if you are not built for it.[/quote]

I agree with you from a training point of view, high bar squats aren’t essential for any training goal, but if I think it would be wise to deal with some mobility issues anyway. If his mobility is already this compromised, how bad could it get in 20/30/40 years time?[/quote]

I agree. But the ability to high bar squat well is more dependant on individual leverages than mobility, which is what i’m trying to tell him.

[/quote]

We agree again, it seems to be a habit. The OP has highlighted some mobility (not leverage) issues that I think he should be dealing with though
[/quote]

Agreed lol. He should definitely deal with his mobility issues.

dont worry about technique. just eat big and lift heavy.

Hey, I know this is an old post but I’ve been searching for an answer myself. I do a lot of mobility work and i am currently trying to re-learn the high bar squat. I was wondering if you ever found a solution or a method of correcting this.

I’m pretty desperate at this point, I just want to high bar squat but CAN’T. I want to break my squat down and build it back up. I also have problems 1,2,3 and 5 that you’ve listed! Any help would be appreciated

not everyone has the mobility to do so.

Is there some reason why you absolutely must high bar squat?

Work on your ankle mobility twice per day using bands and mulligans.

Do this until you have it down:

MOST people can high bar squat well. To say not everyone can is very true, but most people can. To say you can’t is also saying you can’t perform lifts like the overhead squat and snatch as well-- since they both require the same mobility as a well executed high bar squat. So while not everyone has the mobility to do so, the majority of people can develop it.

The original OP’s issue on this thread, in my opinion, was not the bar placement but rather the execution of the lift. A true high bar squat does take more upright posture, however, you can still butcher the high bar by shooting the hips to fast and goodmorning the lift (I’ve certainly done this) like you see in a lot of low bar squatting. Someone can lack the mobility to low bar squat.

I understand the fascination with deep high bar squatting-- it’s legit, takes athleticism, and makes those low bar wide stance barely parallel squats look like something old people do in their aerobics class at 6AM at the YMCA. I started out low bar squatting and learned after several years that it was just a very gay way of doing it. Sort of like sumo squatting, bench shirts, squat suits, oxygen on Mt Everest, push-up bras, make-up, high heels, penis pumps, plastic surgery… you get the idea. (don’t get offended, I’m just joking around of course)

toekneelieu, in all seriousness work on squatting a kettlebell with a completely upright torso. Buy some heeled shoes. Perform the garland pose with a 15 lbs kettle bell in your hands to help you balance yourself and maintain an upright posture for up to minute. Most importantly, learn to overhead squat a broomstick, then a barbell, then weight on the bar. If you can learn to do overhead squats you can high bar squat with ease.

More stubbornness than anything. Its just something I want to be able to do, not necessarily have the strongest squat with high bar, but being able to perform it.

I actually have been working on this for the past week! Was actually going to bring this video up and see if anyone else has used this. Thanks tsantos

thanks evolv. Yeah, I just want to be able to develop the movement. I’ll definitely work on the kettlebells, I do have a lot of trouble keeping up right. I asked a few people at my gym to take a look at my high bar squat. My movement looks like more like a low bar movement (according to them)

fair enough, I mean it just seems kind of weird to me. Surely it’s best not to think in terms of high bar, low bar, whatever, and just do whatever squat variation feels most natural and suits your body type best?

I don’t have the mobility to really do any kind of back squat so I just front squat my ass off. It’s not that I think front squats are better, it’s just that they are the squat variation that feels most natural to me, so instead of wasting training time trying to do an exercise that I don’t really “need”, I can concentrate on just getting better at front squatting.

1 Like