Photography

I call this one, “You wanna fight, dickless?”

A few from fights I went to the other night. They were taken from far away and my camera isn’t fancy, so they’re grainy but I actually kind of like that quality in fight pics.

…more

I started a photography thread a while back. I sort of turned all my pictures into a video :

Some really cool looking photos in here! I loved the Seattle, Miami, and New Zealand pics!!!

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
^^^

I want to get that someday i have the money for it lol.

I really want my next lens to have a real big aperture for indoor stuff that I cant use flash for. Is 2.8 big enough for indoor stuff like weddings or something like that? I was thinking of getting a prime lens with 50 mm, 1.4 aperture but I’m not sure if im really gonna enjoy moving back and forth to get the shot I want. [/quote]

I have a 50mm f/1.4 that I use for all my indoor shots, and a lot of the portraits I do, because I hate using flash, especially on-camera flash. I love that lens, the only problem I have with it is sometimes I can’t get far enough away to take the shot I want indoors. It can get a little annoying having to move around a lot, especially when shooting young kids.

I’ve found that I still have to bump the ISO setting up to 400 or so to prevent motion blur, but it’s a lot better than using my other lenses. I would really like to get a 70-200 f/2.8 for things like indoor sporting events, but I’ll wait till my kids are old enough to be participating in them.

Picture using the 50mm f/1.4

Another using the 50mm f/1.4

Seattle from Dr Jose Rizal Park.

I really need to get out and start taking pictures again.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]p-dubs wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Anyone want to fill me in on the basics of night-time shooting?

I’d like to be able to take clear decent pictures at night without a super awesome camera or a tripod.[/quote]

You need a tripod, you can’t take good low light photographs without it. It also helps to have a camera that has a bulb mode, with an external trigger release. This prevents the camera from shaking and your exposure can be as long as you want. You can get by though by using a 30s shutter speed, max on I think most cameras, and changing the ISO settings. I would also set a shutter delay of 5 seconds so the camera isn’t shaking from pressing the shutter release.[/quote]

Yeah, kinda what I figured. I was kinda hoping there was a way to get to “doesn’t look like crap” status without a tripod.

Thanks for the tips.[/quote]

If you can find something to set your camera on to steady it, it will help a lot. I was using a little point and shoot around San Francisco and was able to get some OK shots at sunset/night using railings to steady the camera. If it is really dark then you’ll need something that you can rest the camera on. You can make it work but you’ll have to use your environment creatively. When I was in Seattle I went everywhere with my tripod, it was a bit of a inconvenience but I was able to take much better pictures.

Jelly of skyscraper cities.

Great photos!

Bump. More pictures people.

BUMP…

So me and my gf will be graduating this spring and I wanted to get her a dslr as a graduation gift.

I dont have the money to buy her one brand new, but was thinking of buying a used nikon d3100 beacuse those seem to be available cheap on craiglist (around 300). Do you guys think this is a good idea, even though the camera is from 2010? Does camera technology change quick enough that old cameras become useless?

I somewhat have an understanding of photography so when if i were to buy the camera I would know if it’s good or not when i test it .

From my recent Boston trip. This is the Old Statehouse - a total anachronism lying in the middle of a modern city.

Nomad Sculpture in Des Moines

Took the kids to the circus and got this photo of the elephant.